Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhuast Size

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhuast Size
    Posted: August-24-2009 at 9:57am
Getting Matt @ RCM to straight pipe my 87 Riviera with 454. He asked what size my exhaust is so that he can order the parts, ie reinforced hose mainly. I have no idea as it likely would involve taking off the existing to measure, a job that I have already attempted unsuccessfully. The 454 headers run to a pair of tan fiberglass mufflers like I have seen on many other CC's such as a Barefoot so unless they made different sizes of stock systems I assume that they are all the same. Need verification of this and info on size of hose that needs to be ordered. Thanks.
"To profit from good advice requires more wisdom than to give it"
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 11:01am
Would help if I spelled "exhaust" correctly! Nother cup of java please!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 1:22pm
Sounds like the standard 3" muffered duals to me.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 1:57pm
I would think you would have room to get a thin caliper in there, wouldn't you?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 2:23pm
If you have ever seen what it takes to get to the rear of a 21' Riviera ( under the 40 gallon gas tank ) where the pipes exit the boat you wouldn't ask that question, especially at 6'2" and 250 pounds! I tried doing the job myself, but gave up and handed it over to Matt. He said not to worry that he could find out. Whatever is standard on an 87 Riviera with the 454 is what I have for sure. Don't know if it is 3" or 3.5". I apprciate the input for sure though!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 4:35pm
Ha.   Something like working on a 502 in a SAN?    110lb right handed contortionist is the only one who can do it without cramping up.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 5:24pm
If it was just a matter of cramping up, I could handle it, just cannot get down in there with it! And if perchance I did, I would likely never be able to get back out! Of course it may have something to do with my senior citizen status, but I wouldn't ever admit to that!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 7:21pm
I have had that problem in mine getting the oil filter out. I have got stuck so bad I needed help getting back out a couple of times. I finally got PCM to make me a remote filter kit a last year and all is good now.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 10:26pm
Does PCM have another remote filter kit? Sounds like a great idea!
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 11:26pm
oledawg, I'm sure it's 3". You're not going to run rubber hose all the way are you?
Only reason I ask is that it might muffler it to much.
Consider running a good amount of stainless pipe for more rumble. I haven't done my 454 yet but will eventually. I'm going to do the 350 this winter as the factory muffler is leaking so I'm going to slip a stainless steel H pipe in there in it's place.
It had a factory cross-over in it.
Good Luck,
Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 12:03am
You know I have actually researched that and I agree with you. Stainless pipe can be purchased via this link: www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30911/10002/-1

Two four foot sections with whatever reinforced rubber hose for connecting should do the trick. More expensive but I think that you are 100% correct. I will see what RCM thinks. My Harley ownership says that it will make for some "loud pipes" good enough to do Jbear proud.

Will keep you posted.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 12:43am
I would have to guess that the kit would be the same for your engine as it was for mine. Call Bruce at N3, he hooked me up after I worked out the details with PCM. I think they were like $175-200. Worth every cent in terms of no cramps, bloddy knuckles, and bilge cleanup.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 12:02pm
You have a phone number? I am all in when it comes to no pain!

By the way, RCM is going to build the straight pipes with stainless as discussed. Great idea.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 1:18pm
Bruce Foutz       

http://www.n3boatworks.com/

Tell him that you want the same set up he made for me. I have to assume that the filter cap for your 454 is the same as my 502, but get them to confirm that. This way you get a Ford filter on your chevy. Speeds it up for you a little.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by oledawg oledawg wrote:

By the way, RCM is going to build the straight pipes with stainless as discussed. Great idea.   

JBear will be proud!

I'm sure RCM will take care of you and do it right.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic