Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 Ski Nautique Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1989 Ski Nautique Rebuild
    Posted: August-24-2009 at 11:47pm
I have been following the site now for a couple years but never jumped on due to log in issue. I own an 88 BFN and a 89 SN. Rebuilt the BFN last year (floors, stringers, paint....) and now am working on an 89 that I picked up for $500 last year. Boat was complete less the engine. I have talk to a couple of the faithful memebers here like Greg who did the BFN last year as well as Eric about a transmission rebuild for the 89. One of those guys who never learns about building or rebuilding boats. This is my 7th so far. Grew up on the water and working in marinas in Palm Beach County FL so I guess I'll never get it out of the system. I love looking at Pics and reading stories so thought I should share here. I post on a site called bateau. I built one of there boats two years ago and they are A+ for knowledge and first class materials. Anyway you will see that I am not a purest but build them to fit how I like/use them. Here are some links to the two boats

89 Ski nautique rebuild==>http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18074
Here is a picture of the Ski Nautique

New fiber glass stingers for the SN

Mold that I made the stringers on

This is the Barefooter

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 12:07am
jim welcome aboard...I guess your are familiar then with the guys that regularily post here!!! they are all great people... as for your boats come on and share some more pics.. I like that bare bfn..no upholstery or carpet to worry about!!! and I bet with the extra weight off its a fast boat!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 12:14am
Clean looking resto!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 10:05pm
Awesome pics Jim. You have a lot of talent.

Waldo
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 10:53pm
Very nice work, and yes more pics! Looks like a very user friendly set up. Let's hear a little more about that stringer mold and how you built it.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2009 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Very nice work, and yes more pics! Looks like a very user friendly set up. Let's hear a little more about that stringer mold and how you built it.

I agree with you greg...
pwningjr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwningjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 1:01am
That boot stripe on the BFN looks *awesome*.

EDIT: I'll 3rd Greg's "Let's hear about the stringers!"
Jay
"Proud to be a geek"
Big Heavy (stephan): One can't always be perfect when water dancing on your shred stick.
DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 2:12am
Guys thank you. The stinger mold was real straight forward. Just two pieces of MDC doubled (1-1/2" thick) put together to make a 13' long piece. Then laminated on the sides with gloss black Mica (black allows the air in the layup to show) round the edges over with a 3/4" router, wax the exposed MDC and the mica, spray a couple coats of PVA (releasing adjent) and let it dry. Then using Polyester resin build up 3-4 plys of 12 or 17oz biaxial glass. Let it cure for 4-6 hours and popo it off. Works great. I then foam filled the stringer for sound deadning.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 8:27am
Good work Day_Trip hope you hang around with us.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 10:05am
Jim,
Glad you got the log in problem figured out. Welcome to posting.

I too find your glass stringers interesting and have a couple of questions. When you glassed them into the hull, how many more layers of glass did you add? Did you use a higher weight of foam for filling the insides? The reason I ask is I'm wondering about the strength lost without the wood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 1:35pm
Being epoxy resin better for bonding and strenght ..why didn´t you use epoxy over poly to do the stringers? just wondering?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 1:50pm
What's that thing on the starboard side of the motorbox?
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

What's that thing on the starboard side of the motorbox?

I looked at that a few times as well. Blended in so well, that, at first, I thought it was part of the boat. On closer inspection, it looks like a bottle of soap or cleaner. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 2:18pm
Ha, that's what it must be. If it was part of the boat, I'd hate falling on it in some rollers. lol

Fusilli Jerry.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 5:06pm
Glad you all like the stringers and i am happy to share anything.

The foam was there just to help hold the shape until they were glassed into the boat. I in th area of the engine (7') I used mahogany to act as a solid core. What I did then is mark the mounting hole locatation that go through the stringers and drilled them out to 1-1/2". Then I filled those holes back in with milled fiberglass and epoxy. That gives me a solid glass/epoxy media to drill my mounting bolts through. I will have access to the back side of the stringer in the engine mount area so I will through bolt only, no lags. This will eliminate the chance for rot.

The stringers are epoxied into the boat with am minumum of three additional plys of glass on the outer stringer and on the main (inners) there are as many as 8 layers in the engine or maximum stress areas.

More to come when I get home.

Jim

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Being epoxy resin better for bonding and strenght ..why didn´t you use epoxy over poly to do the stringers? just wondering?

I'm curious on the polyester over the epoxy too?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 11:25pm
For making the shape the strength was not a big concern. Once it was glassed in the boat all I use is epoxy. The amount of glass I use once it is in the boat is strong enough in itself.

Polyester is much faster to mold with. Here is a bunch more pics in cse you didn't link over to the other site. Thanks for looking!

DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 1:23am
Guys,

Put up several pics on this site if you are interested.link to nautique rebuild

Here is a couple though

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 1:41am
Looks sharp!!!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2009 at 5:36pm
Day trip,

That looks like pretty sturdy blower hose, where did you get it. I'm getting close to that point and I don't want to put the crappy dryer type in.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2009 at 6:35pm
this is the way a boat should be built if you put originality aside, very practical and built to use, im one for originality to a point right along with Pete, on this one it was built to pull and a very clean build, to me it says one thing.....lets pull some skiers and use the boat.....if we scratch it we can fix it....i would bet your like me and dont know what a can of wax looks like...no pun, if its not broke you dont fix it.. A plus from me
"the things you own will start to own you"
DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2009 at 11:02pm
I used a hose that is used for dust collect/fume venting. It has a plastic spiral reinforcement in it instaed of metal so it will stay in tack. I used it in the barefooter and it works great. I alos used it as the conduit for the control cables and wiring as well as the blower hose. This is the link to the company. ==>blastgate company link I bought 50' of the GPE Econo and it was strong and it was about the right amoun tot do all the above.

Eric, Thanks for the note. I do like them simple. I like to make it as easy as posible to keep them clean. Not to worried about original.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2009 at 11:08pm
Thanks
DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2009 at 11:43pm
Foamed in the battery box, bilge vents, and rigging chases this weekend. Getting ready to put the foward sole peice down.

This is the front sole. The Plywood that I use is merranti (hydrocore). Built a boat from scratch using this and it is nice and extreamly stable. You can see the hatch I made so I can use the bilge in front of the engine to store rope and anchor.

Made a mold for the glove box lid. Worked good.
DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2009 at 12:14pm
Guys,

I have posted some updated photos here ==>Link to Ski Nautique rebuild. If you are interested this is a link to all the boat photos in my gallary==>Photos from DAYTRIP
DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2009 at 11:41pm
Installed the front section of the cocpit sole today.

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 12:00am
Looking good. Like the hatch idea.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 7:07am
Day-Trip nice work thanks for the link, keep the post coming.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 5:04pm
Thanks Guys. The hatch will be great for anchor and rope storage.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 6:18pm
Looking good..What kind of seats are you using? not the oem, as i see a different hole pattern..
btw happy b-day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic