Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skiied behind a Malibu tonite

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skiied behind a Malibu tonite
    Posted: August-27-2009 at 12:10am
I had a chance to ski behind a Malibu tonite and drive it for a bit while the owner was skiing. I was impressed with the amount of power the boat had to get you out of the water, kinda felt like my arms were going to pop off. It also easily hits the 50 mph mark. When we got to the course and I was driving I was surprised how much the boat pulled left and right as we went through the course. I will run my boat tomorrow 1988 sn 2001 and compare the two but im pretty sure that the Nautique dosent move around even close what the 2004 Malibu was. Dont get me wrong its a fine boat but given the choice Im gonna run the nautique,, at least till its time to fill the gas tank again.
lonestar
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 12:45am
So, better torque then or all in how it's proped?Are there any fins on a Malibu? Oh,by the way Lonestar-- fix your locationPlease.Thanks
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 1:11am
Your 2001 is a fine boat, but I bet you will find that there is no comparison between the Malibu slalom wake and the wake on your 2001. I've skied behind a few malibus, new ones and going back to the late 90s models and the slalom wake has always been impressive. I dont think SN was there until the 90 to 96 hull.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 1:54am
there has been a lot of improvements in boats over that 16 year gap between the two boats you're comparing...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 2:22am
Malibus are terrific. Awesome, versatile wakes (that are also good for barefooting, cough), good, quick and light handling. Definitely worse tracking than equivalent year SNs but that is due to a completely different hull design philosophy. In stock form they will generally stomp stock CCs in acceleration and top speed. There are a lot of good things about them, but they are just not for me.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 3:25am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

In stock form they will generally stomp stock CCs in acceleration and top speed.

Why is this? Lighter boat? Engine differences?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 10:03am
A little crack in the dam?
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Terp Terp wrote:

In stock form they will generally stomp stock CCs in acceleration and top speed.

Why is this? Lighter boat? Engine differences?

The hulls generally ride very high on the water due to a very flat bottom and lots of lifting strakes. They also plane out fairly nose-high- the tracking fins on an RLXi are probably 3ft further back on the hull than a 196.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 10:20am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Your 2001 is a fine boat, but I bet you will find that there is no comparison between the Malibu slalom wake and the wake on your 2001. I've skied behind a few malibus, new ones and going back to the late 90s models and the slalom wake has always been impressive. I dont think SN was there until the 90 to 96 hull.
The boat had its stock 3 blade prop, and you are right the wake is nice, I was told this boat had an extra fin added to hull so Im not sure if that means it has 3 or 4 tracking fins, I assumed it meant 4.
lonestar
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 10:34am
I guess my thought was that for a 16 year difference in age the Malbu would have tracked equal to or better than the Nautique. Im not trying to bash the Malibu, it really could get up and go, just making a comparison on the tracking .
lonestar
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 11:30am
If it had an extra fin "added", it was most likely a Sportster, Malibu's base/value model which is no longer in production. Arguably the best new boat value out there in its day. The Sportster came stock with 2 tracking fins. A 3rd fin could be added as an option. Of all the Malibus you could have driven, that particular model is one of the worst tracking models. That said, if it were dialed in it could be set up to track very well.

Brand new you could get a Sporty with trailer for around or under 20 grand back in the day. Quite a value.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 3:39pm
There is a sportster at our lake, I couldn't comment on tracking, I've not driven it, but that little boat is a rocket, pulls really hard!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 4:04pm
We've got an '03 Sportster and I think it's a great boat for blasting around the lake and the novice skiing and BFing that we do. It was never a tournament boat. We've got the 3rd tracking fin and the steering is set up with a lot of load on it. You can't let go of the wheel once you get up to 34 mph. It tracks well, but nothing like the '08 SN196 I rode in last fall at an INT event.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 5:05pm
IMHO a comparable year Response has a better slalom wake then my particular 206 however the Bu tracking and ride is horrible in comparison. Like Joel said, they are not bad boats just not for me.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Like Joel said, they are not bad boats just not for me.

Why? Because they don't offer the 18" taller trick/air pylon for you to sit on?
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 6:08pm
Malibu!!!
Well if I can't say nothin nice about em, I wont say nothin at all!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2009 at 12:16am
Ya you are right again. Its an 04 that came with 2 fins and had the third added. The boat is a rocket but what the hell is the deal with the steering ? If I let go of the wheel the thing pulls hard right and I mean hard at almost any speed. The guy says it came like that new but I dont see how somebody could build any machine and want a response like that to occur .
lonestar
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2009 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by lonestar lonestar wrote:

I dont see how somebody could build any machine and want a response like that to occur .

Rudders can be ground on one side to create a steering pre-load. This will help keep the boat straight in the course by tightening up the steering. Most slalom boats either have an adjustable rudder (99+ Nautiques, 05+ Bus, MCs) or have the rudder ground to achieve this pre-load. Typically a left-turn preload is added. My rudder is adjusted such that if I let go of the wheel at speed it would spin out.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2009 at 1:40pm
The barefoot crowd loves Sportsters.
skierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2009 at 9:45pm
This has been fun to read. We have one Malibu response on our cabin lake where our 1999 Python is located and Pauly-Banana's 1983 with my brother (Steve's) Super Sport. The Malibu is a nice looking 1993 and is really quiet not loud while pulling for barefooting! Only issue that they have with their engine is a plastic water non-rubber impellar burning out at high speed. We watched once while they were footing (lots of smoke) from the engine overheating while getting up to speed. We use my 1999 Ski Nautique Python also for barefooting. Having the 502 Python blows away any competion on our lake that also includes the smallest wake, most torque and fastest speed and much, much more. We take second in one category when compared to the Malibu! The Python sound is much louder, but most people think it sounds like a Harley coming down the path (and that's a cool thing)!

Lonestar, the owner of the malibu has pulled seven skiers on two skis behind his boat and Pauly has pulled ten out of the water on two skis with his 1983! Keep in mind, Pauly is running an Acme 540 prop that actually shot out of the whole better than my 1989 Ski Nautique 1:23 gear reduced transmission. We ran this test with our boats side by side just before I sold my 1989 WHICH WAS NOT A PERFECT TEST!

I would get the Acme 540 prop if you plan to do any hole shots against the Malibu. Enjoy the fun, but I can say that on our lake with eight Nautiques from 1980-2005 and one Malibu, one Master Craft and one Chris Craft, we rule the lake with the boat numbers and the Python as insurance to help keep the power on our side!

We like the fact that the owner of 1993 Malibu does not believe his boat will pull ten skiers out of the water. He refuses to try! I guess that he is a little intimidated by our 1983!

Keep in mind that the Malibu owners helped participate as skiers in the ten out of the water. Lots of fun and respect between us and them! At least they use their Malibu for some solid skiing and not tubing!   

lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2009 at 11:02pm

Originally posted by lonestar lonestar wrote:

I dont see how somebody could build any machine and want a response like that to occur .

Rudders can be ground on one side to create a steering pre-load. This will help keep the boat straight in the course by tightening up the steering. Most slalom boats either have an adjustable rudder (99+ Nautiques, 05+ Bus, MCs) or have the rudder ground to achieve this pre-load. Typically a left-turn preload is added. My rudder is adjusted such that if I let go of the wheel at speed it would spin out.

Thats exactly how this thing is set up. If you let go of the wheel it spins out, I had know idea till now why you would want that but it makes sense. You learn something new every day round here.
lonestar
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2009 at 12:08am

I'm curious, Is your preload left because of a RH prop? If you had a LH prop would you want to preload to the right?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2009 at 12:23am
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I'm curious, Is your preload left because of a RH prop? If you had a LH prop would you want to preload to the right?

I pre-load left because I hold the wheel with my left hand on my knee. Just slight pressure is all it takes to hold on to the wheel with it torquing left.

As for the 1993 Malibu- Malibu did not really come into its own until the late 90's. It's not really fair to compare an early 90's or late 80's Malibu to anything else. They were really not in the ballgame at that point in time. Rest assured that Python would be fair game for a newer Malibu with a similar HP motor- maybe the Hammerhead or the Vette motor. Maybe even the monsoon. The TSC hull is just too slow. My buddy's completely stock RLXi does nearly 47 on the GPS, and that's a huge boat. it's all about lift and getting that nose out of the water.

As a general rule, if you are a CC guy don't pull the "acceleration" or "top speed" card out on a Malibu. CC has lots of traits that I feel are superior to Malibu, but not these two. I've learned this from hundreds of hours in the drivers seats of both brands.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2009 at 1:25am
I slalom ski with about 8 guys, 7 of whom have Malibus and one that has a 2004 Pro Star 197. I'm the one Nautique. Of course they are all Malibu crazy the way I'm Correct Craft crazy. My observations are that they are very fine slalom boats, but do not have near the fit and finish of a Nautique. I am on my fourth Nautique, having had an 80, 83, 89 and for the past 12 years, a 93. The Malibu LX's I ski behind are between 2000 and 2005's, and yet they all compare to my 93 in the features and wake. They have much more get up and go then my 5.8 Pro Boss though. The MC has nice fit and finish, but does not drive or ski as well as the Malibus (or, in my opinion my SN). As nice as the Malibus are, my next boat, without question, will still be a Nautique.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2009 at 12:35pm
I do have to add on the drivetrain of the MC's, if you really wanted to on most models you could spin a righty or a lefty prop because of the full power forward transmissions, not that it would matter but from a transmission standpoint they are far superior than what CC uses. when you crack 60k for a boat you should have a 5000.00 transmission in it, not a 1200.00 one.
moot point but something to think about, they use the ZF 630 and 450, its a rolls royce, compared to a KIA....plus more $$ to rebuild lol
really though, nice power packages in the competition. I dont know what the future holds for CC,
if i knew nothing at all about ski boats and just the mechanicals at this point not being biased at all, from a mechanical standpoint with 60k in hand....i would drop it on the MC. dont take that the wrong way,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2009 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

if i knew nothing at all about ski boats with 60k in hand....i would drop it on the MC.

Exactly the way they think! A stack of recalls and a dashboard falling off won't make a difference either... "It's a MasterCraft!"
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2009 at 1:13pm
$60K on a ski boat.

I still do not understand who is buying these. Lets see here... I can buy an engine for $10k and the tranny for $1200. Call it $15k to make the boat go with the shaft, prop, strut, fins, controls, and gauges.

Now add $45K for a hull and some seats???

I feel that the family sport of watersports will price itself out....

Tim

PS- Slalomed behind a Malibu LXI last night. Wake was soft but seemed bigger than my 2001. Water was crappy and I did not have a great driver.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2009 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

PS- Slalomed behind a Malibu LXI last night. Wake was soft but seemed bigger than my 2001. Water was crappy and I did not have a great driver.

Shocking. Both generations of Response LXIs and the first Sunsetter LXI have TERRIFIC wakes. Among the best of the best.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2009 at 12:33pm

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Shocking. Both generations of Response LXIs and the first Sunsetter LXI have TERRIFIC wakes. Among the best of the best.

Well due to a crappy driver it was only two passes down the course so my take on it may be flawed.

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2009 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I do have to add on the drivetrain of the MC's, if you really wanted to on most models you could spin a righty or a lefty prop because of the full power forward transmissions, not that it would matter but from a transmission standpoint they are far superior than what CC uses. when you crack 60k for a boat you should have a 5000.00 transmission in it, not a 1200.00 one.
moot point but something to think about, they use the ZF 630 and 450, its a rolls royce, compared to a KIA....plus more $$ to rebuild lol
really though, nice power packages in the competition. I dont know what the future holds for CC,
if i knew nothing at all about ski boats and just the mechanicals at this point not being biased at all, from a mechanical standpoint with 60k in hand....i would drop it on the MC. dont take that the wrong way,

Not to quip about your post and maybe I am reading it incorrectly but why do we call the Hurth transmissions throw away transmissions? They are very expensive to rebuild and the 630 is a notorious leaker. All my experiance with Hurth stuff has been bad. currently I have a 1:1 PCM in behind a 600 hp plus 502 in my flat and this thing seems to be bullit proof. As far as superior power packages in the competition well I would have to really disagree on that one especially since I see more broke down Indmars then PCM's. Eric come on down to where our boats are used and we put 350 plus hours on them each year you too will see the difference. Truly PCM has the clear advantage over their competition.
Also I do have a nice 98 Malibu reponse on the lot that I have not yet been able to give away,,,Any takers??
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic