Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skiied behind a Malibu tonite

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 10:34am
I guess my thought was that for a 16 year difference in age the Malbu would have tracked equal to or better than the Nautique. Im not trying to bash the Malibu, it really could get up and go, just making a comparison on the tracking .
lonestar
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 10:20am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Your 2001 is a fine boat, but I bet you will find that there is no comparison between the Malibu slalom wake and the wake on your 2001. I've skied behind a few malibus, new ones and going back to the late 90s models and the slalom wake has always been impressive. I dont think SN was there until the 90 to 96 hull.
The boat had its stock 3 blade prop, and you are right the wake is nice, I was told this boat had an extra fin added to hull so Im not sure if that means it has 3 or 4 tracking fins, I assumed it meant 4.
lonestar
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Terp Terp wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

In stock form they will generally stomp stock CCs in acceleration and top speed.

Why is this? Lighter boat? Engine differences?

The hulls generally ride very high on the water due to a very flat bottom and lots of lifting strakes. They also plane out fairly nose-high- the tracking fins on an RLXi are probably 3ft further back on the hull than a 196.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 10:03am
A little crack in the dam?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 3:25am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

In stock form they will generally stomp stock CCs in acceleration and top speed.

Why is this? Lighter boat? Engine differences?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 2:22am
Malibus are terrific. Awesome, versatile wakes (that are also good for barefooting, cough), good, quick and light handling. Definitely worse tracking than equivalent year SNs but that is due to a completely different hull design philosophy. In stock form they will generally stomp stock CCs in acceleration and top speed. There are a lot of good things about them, but they are just not for me.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 1:54am
there has been a lot of improvements in boats over that 16 year gap between the two boats you're comparing...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 1:11am
Your 2001 is a fine boat, but I bet you will find that there is no comparison between the Malibu slalom wake and the wake on your 2001. I've skied behind a few malibus, new ones and going back to the late 90s models and the slalom wake has always been impressive. I dont think SN was there until the 90 to 96 hull.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 12:45am
So, better torque then or all in how it's proped?Are there any fins on a Malibu? Oh,by the way Lonestar-- fix your locationPlease.Thanks
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 12:10am
I had a chance to ski behind a Malibu tonite and drive it for a bit while the owner was skiing. I was impressed with the amount of power the boat had to get you out of the water, kinda felt like my arms were going to pop off. It also easily hits the 50 mph mark. When we got to the course and I was driving I was surprised how much the boat pulled left and right as we went through the course. I will run my boat tomorrow 1988 sn 2001 and compare the two but im pretty sure that the Nautique dosent move around even close what the 2004 Malibu was. Dont get me wrong its a fine boat but given the choice Im gonna run the nautique,, at least till its time to fill the gas tank again.
lonestar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic