NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PWC opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PWC opinions
    Posted: September-03-2009 at 11:16am
I'm looking a possibly buying one or two used PWC's. I know it's hard to get opinions on this site , but I'm hoping to get some reviews about Sea Doos, WaveRunners, and Jet Skis. I'm looking at skis ranging from '95 Sea Doo XP's to 2003 Waverunners.

Thanks
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 11:29am
Are you on drugs?

form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 11:40am
four stroke is the only way to go.Something like a old ultra 150 or whatever they call the new ones.The two strokes are hard on gas and break more.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Are you on drugs?

It's either PWC's or a couple of new tubes to rip up the lake.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 12:25pm
I'm feeling ill...
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Are you on drugs?

It's either PWC's or a couple of new tubes to rip up the lake.

I just put a small BB gun in the boat to shoot tubes sitting at docks with nobody around

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 12:41pm
Tullfooter;

Wow, forget the PWC buy an Arctic Cat M-7 with as short as track as you can find. Its a dual season vehicle. You can run up to the UP or Cadillac in the winter and in the summer you will be the talk of the lake, as you do some skippin. Plus its a little more technical, no stoppin to chat when your on the water. Check it out:

Water Skipping

Make sure you watch the second scene!

P.S. I have a couple of buddies with PWC and unless you are going to go "old school" and get a Stand up (Then look for a Kawasaki), the consensus with them is the Yamaha's are ROCK Solid!
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 12:45pm

I'm looking a possibly buying one or two used PWC's. I know it's hard to get opinions on this site , but I'm hoping to get some reviews about Sea Doos, WaveRunners, and Jet Skis. I'm looking at skis ranging from '95 Sea Doo XP's to 2003 Waverunners.

Thanks
Steve

Steve,

We've had mid-90s Sea Doos and Waverunners at our cabin. In my experience, the Yamaha's were much more reliable, at least with the older models. Our Sea Doos were constantly having problems. I can't comment on the new stuff. We don't have any PWCs anymore and no plans to get them either. The only one I'd consider buying at this point would be a SuperJet to take out in Lake Huron. There are so many inexperienced boaters riding around on those things that they make me nervous every time I see them. I don't want to get off topic and rant on PWCs... it's truly not the vehicle itself causing my paranoia.

Ryan
92ccc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92ccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 1:07pm
We have two Sea Doo RXP'S,four stroke with super chargers,great on fuel and very dependable.I think the fit and finish on Sea Doo products is second to none,defenitely would buy again.We have also owned older Sea Doo's and Yamaha two stroke,still would take the Sea Doo.
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 1:41pm
80's Standups!! I have a JS550 and they're a blast. Never ride a couch!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 11:55pm
Just rent one a few times each summer to get it out of your system. I've ridden them & got bored after about 10 minutes of doing donuts.

Considering depreciation & maintenance, you are better off renting.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:05am
...it's like a bad virus.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:28am
While I have no use for it; wives, kids and guests really enjoy our 1998 Sea Doo Limited. 900cc 2 stroke twin. Good for 63 mph. Sucks major gas, but so far only requires routine maintenance.

As a kid, we had the old school Kawasaki stand ups. Would really like to get a pair of those. At least it takes a little skill to run one.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:31am
Stand-up's ( the only REAL jet ski ) = Kawasaki

Sit down's....get a Yamaha, or perhaps a well maintained 2003 or later Sea-Doo. Whatever you do, don't, I repeat, do not buy a pre 2000 Sea-doo. Get a 4 stroke if you can.
Those things depreciate worse than anything you will ever own, so make sure you get a good deal. You should be able to buy 2 machines 3-4 years old w/ low hrs in a-1 condition with a trailer for about the same price as 1 brand new one. Like SNobsessed stated,they are fun,but the newness wears off quickly. We have two and I wouldn't care if they both sank.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:32am
BTW, nice watercross footage Skutsch

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:46am
I have two 2002 see doos. they are two stroke. I have had a few minor problems but nothing major. We enjoy them. You can go places on them that you wouldnt want to take the Nautique.
83Ski
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:47am
Mike (05 210) are you a sledder too? The kids got a 79 John Deere Spitfire for Christmas last year, we rebuilt the engine this summer and I am looking forward to seeing how it does. Also did some mods on my XF-7 as the ski (H2O) season winds down, especially with the ridiculously cold weather here, I am starting to think more and more about sledding.

I always thought a sled on the water would be a lot more fun then a PWC, at least in the long run. Much more challenging! Haven't grown big enough "stones" yet to try and pull that one off in front of the wife
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 2:08am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Mike (05 210) are you a sledder too?

Used to be a big snowmobiler.Can't seem to find the time lately. I still have an 04 F5 to terrorize the neighborhood on, but haven't had a big trail sled since 03. I used to ride in Canada and The County alot when I was working on sleds for a living. There are a few guys on this site who ride.

I still love it,it's just not a high priority. My son has a sno scoot and we ride locally.My wife and I have talked about getting back into it,but it involves buying 2-3 more machines and a bigger trailer. It takes alot of cash to go snowmobiling with the whole family. Gear,helmets,gas etc, you know the drill.......

Once it's in your blood though, it never goes away.As long as I live in an area where there is a chance for snow, I'll at least have 1 sled kicking around to ride when it does. Sorry 'bout the thread-jack Tull.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 2:19am

Sexxxxxyyyyy !

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 2:48am
Depends on how old your going in my opinion, yamahas are super reliable but anything older than a 97 is too slow. The 1998 gp 1200 we have around is big, fast, and rides well and most likely forever but as a two stroke it is loud, smelly, and with three carbs can suck 13 gpm at wot.. plenty of fun in short bursts. Seadoos were plenty fast after 94 as long as they were dual carb or better, and gas usage could be worse. I think an 800 cc 96 to 99 seadoo is a great power to gas mileage machine on a budget, but I also know first hand they are not perfectly reliable, but when I get 12 years out of the first engine I am not against throwing a few bucks into a rebuild.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 2:57am

I know it's hard to get opinions on this site.
Steve

Huh? I gotta guess that you are kidding.

As far as to the idea of getting a pwc...I like you to much tull to let you know how I feel about that. But don't worry...these strange urges will soon pass.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 3:04am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

I always thought a sled on the water would be a lot more fun then a PWC, at least in the long run. Much more challenging! Haven't grown big enough "stones" yet to try and pull that one off in front of the wife

Steve, Did it once..... Wayyyyyy back on my 95 Yami 600...(my "buds" were calling me names...LOL)

I just made it, belt got wet and was slipping...aint worth the chance on my '02 Viper!    I have friends that still do it all the time tho...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 3:11am
I spent many saturdays in my buddies prostar with a few cold ones chasing jet skis out of our slalom course. Sorry, but I hate the damn things. Wouldn't mind em on a big open lake but on our little pond/lake its pretty useless.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 3:22am
Thats funny, I thought I was logged on to CorrectCraftFan.com. But there seems to be this mindless banter about Water Mosquito's.Whats best , whats fastest,. Oh well I know tommorrow this stuff will be gone and we will be talking about Correct Crafts, enough already guys about the ski's OK.............
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 3:34am
Heard!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 7:30am
Have a 98 GP 1200 from new apart from servicing had 2 new batteries but are hard on gas.
If you won't some thing different there is this

Start your engines! Cross the finish line first with the HRS-Benelli Series R Race Edition Jetski 2008. Streaking across the water in brilliant black, red and silver, the Series R Race Edition is powered by a V6 cylinder, four-stroke, 2260cc, 342hp engine. Able to seat up to three people, this HRS-Benelli jetski is perfect for a leisurely ride on the water or for racing against your friends. Also features an electric starter. HRS-Benelli.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 10:47am
Wow. There are seemingly an awful lot of closeted PWC owners on the inboard boat site. I guess admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery....
Our lake is small enough you cannot legally use one on it. Whew!

Mike N

1968 Mustang

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 11:57am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

....The 1998 gp 1200 we have around is big, fast, and rides well and most likely forever but as a two stroke it is loud, smelly, and with three carbs can suck13 gpm at wot.. plenty of fun in short bursts....

13 gallons per minute!!! That's like Top Fuel Dragster flow right there. That thing must fly!

Aside from all the mindless bashing of PWC's, I'll offer some input. I've only rode 2 different PWC's, both Sea Doo's. One was around a 93 2 stroke, and the other was a 2006 4 stroke. Aside from the 4 stroke being significantly quieter, the newer hull rides so much smoother and keeps the keel planted well in the water so your not constantly sucking air thru the impeller. However, the newer ones just feel so much larger, and lose some of the fun factor of PWC. I don't know why anyone would want a larger (3 seater+) PWC, because to me that just defeats the purpose.

Despite what people say about PWC's, there is fun to be had on them. Just like so many other things, it's the person behind the tool, not the tool itself...(insert gun control debate ). I get eye rolls when people find out I ride a "Crotch Rocket". They instantly figure I'm one of the D-bags that ride wheelies down the interstate shirtless, helmetless, cutting people off, making tons of noise. But 95% of the riding I do now is on a race track. I can't help it the vast majority of the people that use those machines are idiots, but that's not going to deter me away from having my kind of fun on it....

...Rant over
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

... but as a two stroke it is loud, smelly...

I intensely dislike two strokes for anything bigger than a chain saw. However, I don't think it would be a complete summer if I didn't get a good whiff of that intoxicating blend of burnt oil, lake water and early morning dew. Takes me back all the way to my Grandpa's fishing boat and all of our clapped out steel pontoon boats with woven lawn chairs on them.

Sorry, waaaaay OT.
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Our lake is small enough you cannot legally use one on it.

Lucky you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic