NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pylon ring removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 12:17pm
Dwcar,

I used a 1/4" Pin Punch Set from Lowes and a dead blow hammer to remove the two roll pins. Then I sprayed it with PB Blaster. Two days later I used a Wooden Handle ( From a slege Hammer) and got it to move a little. I then sprayed it again with PB Blaster. I came back two days latter with a 1" Dia Black Iron Water Pipe from a Home Improvement store that is 5 feet long. Using the leverage it now is spinning 360 degrees but it is still hard to turn. I am afraid that I am going to break the ring ( Finger already broken off) while trying to remove it. I am already slightly bending the ring. I sprayed some more PB Blaster and I am going to give it a shot again tonight. I may have to put a cumberlong jack in the rafters of my father shop to try to pull it up as I spin it around.

I am thinking that I have not given it enough effort yet. The PB BLaster is only going in the Roll Pin Holes. I am spraying it on the top, but I doubt any is going into the hole due to the taper of the Ring and finger. Once I get it up some, I can then get some PB Blaster down the hole.

I may try to apply some heat to it. If any one has any good ideas please let me know. Should I apply head to the pilon or to the ring and finger? I am thinking that heat to the ring and finger may do the trick.

Mine is being a PITA. I do have a nice replacement one ready to install.

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 1:07am
Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

I have been told you need to heat the aluminum up. Donald, please post what your results are. I am going to try to remove mine this winter also.

Dwcar,

I will let you know what happens. I may given it a try this holiday weekend. I used heat to try to pull out the broken finger with the set screw out and the finger would not come out of the Ring. I was afraid I was going to set the boat on fire.

Donald
DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:56am
I took out the pins and sprayed PB blaster on 2 days prior and then took a aluminum pipe and worked it back and forth spinning it round and round while pulling up on it and it slid right out.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:53am
I have been told you need to heat the aluminum up. Donald, please post what your results are. I am going to try to remove mine this winter also.
83Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by 77 nautique 77 nautique wrote:

Never mind, got home from work tapped out the two roll pins hit it with some PB Blaster and worked it out with the wooden handle of my hammer. No damage what so ever!

Jeff,

Sorry for the long post, but that is great news that your's came out so easy. Thanks for the update.

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 8:55pm
Jeff,

I have not changed mine yet, but I am going to soon. My Ring has a broken finger so I am swapping it out with a complete Ring and Finger that I purchase from a person on this site. He was parting out a boat.

I purchased a 6 PIECE PIN PUNCH Kit from Lowes made by DASCO PRO for about $10.00. I have been told to soak the pilon and ring in PB BLASTER for several days. Spray it in the crack where the Ring and Pilon meet. The 5/16 " Pin Punch seems to be the right size, but the instruction state to go one size smaller so I am using the 1/4" Pin Punch. These have a blunt end on them. Use the Punch to push out the two Roll Pins. Replace with new Stainless Steel Roll Pins when you are ready to reinstall the Ring and Finger.

After you have removed the two Roll Pins and have soaked the cracks and holes with PB Blaster, put a wooded, or Fiberglass Hammer Handle thru the ring behing the Finger. Then take another Hammer and beat each end of the Wooded Hammer Handle to try to make the Ring and Finger spin on the pilon. By hitting the wooden or Fiberglass handle you will be less likely to damage your ring and finger. I have heard of people hooking up a Block and Tackle Set that is connected to trees and pur under pressure for days to try make it break loose.   I guy that I purchased by Ring and Finger from said that it came off with little trouble.    

Once you get the ring to spin on the Pilon then you should be able to pull it straight out of the Pilon. I am concerned that I may get it to spin, but then it will not pull out. If this does not work, then pull the entire Pilon out and put it in a vice and use heat to try to work it out.

Like I stated before, I have not yet done this procedure, but as soon as I winterize I am going to attempt to do mine and this is what I have learned from other who have. I curious to see other ideas.

I Hope this helps,

Donald
77 nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 8:40pm
Never mind, got home from work tapped out the two roll pins hit it with some PB Blaster and worked it out with the wooden handle of my hammer. No damage what so ever!
77 nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 7:26pm
Has anyone had any luck removing the ring without damaging it or the pylon? My friend gave me a Fly High extended pylon. There are a bunch of us going skiing tomorrow and would love to try it out. I really want to get the setup that clamps to the pylon so I don't have to remove the ring but that's not going to happen before tomorrow. Who knows maybe I will be a lucky raffel ticket holder and win one in a few weeks at Lake George!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic