Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swim Platform treatment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
katorchrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katorchrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim Platform treatment
    Posted: September-07-2009 at 11:14pm
Swim Platform on my 1978 Nautique is looking a little worn. Any recommendations on what to treat it with to recondition it. Thanks.
Ken
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 8:12pm
Have done it many times. Power wash it on both sides, scrub it with a stiff brush, and power wash it again. Get a 3 step teak treatment kit and follow the instructions. If you want to use varnish or cetol, don't use the teak oil as the last step and follow the instructions on the varnish or cetol container.
RJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 10:20pm
If you do a search on teak care you can find many opinions on what others use and steps they take in maintaining teak. One thing for sure is that teaks requires care. Some methods work better than others, whether you varnish or oil there are positive and negatives to each. I don't like the varnish method as over time it breaks down and is hard to get off, the oil method is repetitive and I don't like having to watch if the oil dried enough or if the kids are tracking it in and all over the seats. What I have found works best for me at least is a clean, sand, apply teak sealer method.

I use Starbrite teak cleaner and bleach. First wash the teak throughly and apply cleaner and let dry completely.
repeat as needed. Once dry I use 400 grit sand paper, then wash again with soap and water. let dry completely. then I apply Starbrite Teak Sealer (not teak oil unless you want to go the oil route here's where you decide) let dry completely. Then I use a 1000 grit sand paper and sand again, rinse with water and let dry. then repeat this step as many times until you get the finish you're looking for. I normally repeat 2 or 3 times. then apply the final coat of sealer. Depending on how much you use your boat this finish will hold up and look brand new for a long time (even years). It can also be touched up as needed following the sand and seal steps.

With trial and error you will find what works best for you.
Here are the results I get using this method.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic