NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the long road ahead - 67 Nautique resto/mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the long road ahead - 67 Nautique resto/mod
    Posted: September-14-2009 at 6:16pm
As I have mentioned a few times in the last year or so, I bought a really rough 1968 (I think) Ski Nautique last winter cause it was close, cheap, and had a flagstaff and good windshield. I am still waiting for CC to get back to me with the born on date and such.
Last week, I finally got it on the water and drove it. Surprisingly, it ran pretty well. In fact, really well. All I had to do was clean up the starter, replace the post on it, and rig up a temporary gas tank.It was really fun, albeit nervewracking. I was constantly hitting the exhaust and engine with my temp gun, to make sure I was cool enough to keep going. I got it up to about 22-24mph and decided that was enough to satisfy me for now.   
It needs stingers badly, lots of hull work, and all the usual stuff a neglected 41 year old boat needs. I was going to part out and make a flower bed out of it, but my addiction to these boats makes that impossible. I plan on taking a couple years to fix her up really nice. I have lots of ideas about the engine which is a Chrysler 318. at this point i want to pimp out the motor and stroke it to a 349, but that is not set in stone. I am going to repair the hull and more than likely have to paint it. My brother and I pulled the motor yesterday, and I am just going to putz a bit with it, get the floor out, foam removed, and ready to tackle the stringers. I have too much to do in the next couple months to really get started, and tentatively have a stringer job with a friend to do this winter, but he is hinting that he may put that off. Uh oh....

Anyway, here are pics of the maiden voyage last Wednesday.

Here I am taking a big glug off my beer, because it appears I will not have to paddle in from the middle of the lake.

Pointing at the fact that the packing nut had spun off and I was taking on water really fast. Glug !

I am pretty excited about this one and what it can be someday.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2009 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Here I am taking a big glug off my beer, because it appears I will not have to paddle in from the middle of the lake.

It also looks like you might be honking the horn!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2009 at 7:27pm
Who says I wasn't!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2009 at 7:35pm
Nice boat. I'd run it the way it is until your ready to dig in to it.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2009 at 8:00pm
Very cool Mike! We'll be looking forward to what you do with it.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 4:23pm
Awesome boat Mike! You bought it from Iowa?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:32pm
Bought in Brainerd, MN last November. It was just sitting next to a guys polebarn for a few years   Was registered in IA previously, the tabs expired in 02. Not sure when it moved north.   
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:41pm
Mike,
Keep us informed (I know you will!!) on every step you take on this boat. Fantastic project!! Do keep it original. I love the old original Nautiques.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 6:19pm
Congrats Mike, keep us up to speed on the restore.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 7:04pm
Very cool...looking forward to seeing you restore it. High five for driving the boat, while drinking a beer AND standing up.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 7:15pm
what happened to tho slogan DonĀ“t drink while driving!! LOL
nice boat!! keep us updated
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 7:35pm
Sebastian,     that only applies to the road and skies here.

And I feared it could have been my last, you cannot see the phone, oars, fire extiguisher, etc.   

Pete, I will keep it close.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 7:37pm
Man that is a great looking boat. Well worth fixing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 2:04pm
I have most everything torn out of the boat at this point. Motor, fuel tank, floor, etc.   I have the fiberglass floor scored and partially torn out, also. Going to try and get the soaked foam out this week or next.
I have yet to hear back from CC to confirm the year, and original engine, etc.

I have a couple questions for guys that are familiar with the Gen1 SN's.
They pylon has been welded as JoeinEverywhere noted when he was here. Under the crappy nailed down treated ply floor there was a mounting bracket bolted to both stringers with a ring in the middle. It looks hacked in as square of fiberglass had been cut out of the top of each stringer to mount. It also had an alignment bolt on it so you could, I guess, adjust the angle of the pylon fore or aft. Anyone seen this before? I will try to get a pic put up this week.

Secondly, It has a 1st generation morse shifter just like the Mustang had. The hull is built as such that there is nearly no clearance behind this whatsoever. I was able to get it partly disassembled, and still had zero chance of even removing the cables. Upon looking closer it appears that someone had cut the piece out that it mounts to, and slid it in once assembled, and then riveted in the trim. Is this really factory? or did someone do this after the fact? I guess I am actually glad it is like that as there is no way in hell you are adjusting this without removing it. Just seems a bit weird. Again, I will try to get a pic up of this also.

Both of these could well have been done after the fact, but I really have no idea. Any one who has one of these boats, I would greatly appreciate confirmation and pics if you have them.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 3:05pm
The foam is far more soaked than the Mustang ever was. I would say the Mustang's worst part is the best part in this boat. Just gross. I have both sides torn out, and just have the bow left to do. I have 8 bags and upon moving them cause they were leaking all over the place, they are 40+ lbs each. My estimate was a bit low before. Just using a flat bar and 10 in 1 tool. I am going to try the garden type pitchfork with the wide tines for the bow. That may work.

I will not re-foam a boat. I will not re-foam a boat.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 4:00pm

For some reason the wizard of oz popped in my head.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 4:03pm
There are one of those exactly like that here. I know it is down right now with a cracked block.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 4:20pm
There is damned near enough water in the foam that it could possibly crack the block from the outside. If I wasn't removing the foam I would want to drain and re-soak with AF. The special -100* stuff.

Ryan, I wish I could make the light speed progress you are making.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 8:22pm

There is damned near enough water in the foam that it could possibly crack the block from the outside. If I wasn't removing the foam I would want to drain and re-soak with AF. The special -100* stuff.

Ryan, I wish I could make the light speed progress you are making.

I think your up on me a boat and a half.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 8:25am

The foam is far more soaked than the Mustang ever was. I would say the Mustang's worst part is the best part in this boat. Just gross. I have both sides torn out, and just have the bow left to do. I have 8 bags and upon moving them cause they were leaking all over the place, they are 40+ lbs each. My estimate was a bit low before. Just using a flat bar and 10 in 1 tool. I am going to try the garden type pitchfork with the wide tines for the bow. That may work.

Right... I was still balancing between "to foam or not to foam", but your post here as well as a few others made the balance tip...

I will not re-foam a boat. I will not re-foam a boat. I will not re-foam a boat...
I'll keep saying that to myself untill I'll dig into the floor...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 9:47am
Hey Mike, I love the baby blue, are you going to have to do much hull or deck work?
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 10:19am
air floats too
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 1:19pm
Hey Chuck

Yeah, going to need a lot of work. I am going to end up painting the boat after undercoating. I will keep it the same, minus the side graphics. Just powder blue (sopwith?) and a white stripe.

I got the rest of the foam out last night. If my wife wouldn't kill me, I would take the scale out to my shop and weigh my results. Just a disgusting mess. Going to get most of the glass ground out and ready to do the stringers, then let her sit for a bit. I have some stuff to do on the Mustang. Rear main seal, trans seals, engine paint, windshield, etc. As long as I have that all out, I have decided to just get the rest of the boat done, and am going to have her painted over the winter. There are some ugly cosmetic things I just don't want to look at anymore. Then I will get back to the stringers.

I will post a couple pics this weekend of the Nautique guts.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 1:30pm
pics will boost the interest on this thread..LOL
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 1:11pm
Awesome Mike....i'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as the last and deliver just as well.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 2:06pm
Hey Don,

Haven't seen you around in a while. How's the 82?

Mike

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 10:47pm
Ok, here are a couple pics of what I have questions about.

Pylon mount that was below the floor, and then the Morse shifter mount.

Looks like it the pylon may have been torn out and repaired.

Personally, I do not see how you could install this or make adjustments with what little clearance there is. It is about and inch. It seems like someone put a block in there to make a little more room.

Lastly, all that nasty foam sheeite bagged and out of here.

YUK !!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 11:22pm
Mike, that cleavis install looks just like the one on our Mustang.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 1:53am
Bruce,

Interesting to hear. Out Mustang is a 68 and has a cup, not a cleavis.
Still waiting to hear from CC about the correct year. Reid has a number that is close to this one, and it is a 67, I believe.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 4:54am
Mike:

The 82 is done bar the rubrail and repainting the trailer. I got her fired up on the hose last night for the first time.......shweeet!

Going out on Sunday for her first lake run. I know i've been slack with updates..apologies. I'll post when it's done and complete...rubrail, trailer included. Had a couple of issues along the way, the firing order on the engine ticket was completely wrong and i had to rebuild the starter. She purrrrs!

I'm excited to see your new project develop. Give it horns chap!
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic