NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waterski Wake Quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Toigs325 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toigs325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waterski Wake Quality
    Posted: September-15-2009 at 2:13pm
I have a 2003 SN 196 but am now looking to by an older Nautique as a winter project. My main goal is to put together a quality ski boat on a budget. I have skied behind the 80s and 90s the 2001 model and have been very impressed. I would like to go older though.

Can anyone tell me about the waterski wake that the 60s/70s Ski Nautiques and Mustangs put out? I will not be doing any wakeboarding behind this boat, only three event skiing.

Thanks
2003 Ski Nautique 196 SE
1966 Correct Craft Mustang
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 2:20pm
There is no such thing as "restoring on a budget". You will easily have more in a restoration than an 92-95 SN.

Tim

barr 68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 2:27pm
I have a 1968 Barracuda. Watersking behind this beast is challenging at best. The older boats are fairly heavy, so, they will produce a hefty wake. Sure ,they will easily pull 5 skiers but you will be very disappointed in the wave quality compared to your present ride. Good luck , Jim B.
barr68
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 2:57pm
AT,    Wakes from '73 thru '81 Ski Nautiques.

Narrower, Slightly taller much more noticeable rooster comb.

Al

PS: There is a 1975 Ski Nautique available w/ '77 or '78 trailer in my area for 2500. It's all there, needs Stringers,Upholstery,Carpet,some Gel coat,Bottom paint removal and Engine work.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 3:16pm
Could possibly be done for under 10,000 total.

AT

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 3:42pm
Not sure where the info came from that the older boats are heavy But!!!

As far as best ski wake for tournament type ski boat on a budget rebuild.
I would stick with the 90-96 Ski Nautiques,. They are plentyfull and IMO are the best tru three event boat ever built. from 93 on the wood went out of the stringers and the GT-40 package can't be beat even with today's over horsepower chevy's.
I will have around $8,000.00 total in my 92 when truly finnished that includes Star Gazer, This boat will pull perfect times in slalom and jump and has a great trick wake.

Jody Seal
AWSA senior driver/judge
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
barr 68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 4:07pm
My 1968 Barracuda weighs approx. 2600 lbs loaded. I'd say that was heavy for a 17' boat. Jim
barr68
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 4:11pm
s79t's reading comprehension class is now in session.

Originally posted by Toigs325 Toigs325 wrote:

I have a 2003 SN 196 but am now looking to by an older Nautique as a winter project.

Go for it! I would like to have a 70s SN 3-event trailer boat one day for lake hopping on the weekends.

Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

PS: There is a 1975 Ski Nautique available w/ '77 or '78 trailer in my area for 2500. It's all there, needs Stringers,Upholstery,Carpet,some Gel coat,Bottom paint removal and Engine work.

So basically everything, sounds expensive...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 4:22pm
AT;

I grew up skiing behind a 64 Ski Nautique, I always thought the slalom wake was great! I now ski behind a 98 Sport and in my mind it is better. I should throw out the caveat that it has been a while since I have skied behind the 64, so my memory is limited. I would say the rooster is definitely bigger on the 64, the wake is just a hare bigger but it is a nice round wake, might even be a touch softer. You know the interesting thing is I ski a lot faster now and at a shorter length, so it might be apples to oranges. Cripes now I am going to need to go ski behind the 64, to compare...
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 4:43pm
The 60's Mustangs are around 1600 lbs. Quite a bit lighter than the Barracuda. I'm new to slaloming so I can't say much about the wake.

Definitely no budget restoring. And you'll never get your money back. You just got to love it.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

...and the GT-40 package can't be beat even with today's over horsepower chevy's.
Jody Seal
AWSA senior driver/judge

Love the GT-40's, but not intirely true.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:23pm
What lake are you on in Minocqua?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Toigs325 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toigs325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 5:43pm
Lake Minocqua.

Thanks for everyones replies and advise...

This will not be my primary ski boat but I dont want it to ski like a Donzi either. It will be a trailer baby and something to putt around on with my friends and take the occasional slalom run. It is starting to look like I am going to want to look at the late 80s, early 90s area if I want to keep it reasonably priced. I just really like the look of those old boats.
2003 Ski Nautique 196 SE
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 6:03pm

It is starting to look like I am going to want to look at the late 80s, early 90s area if I want to keep it reasonably priced. I just really like the look of those old boats.

I disagree with that. If the wake on an older boat is acceptable to you, Id say go with a vintage ride. I agree that restoring old Correct Crafts is not a money making venture, but if you buy the boat right, are smart about where you buy your parts, and do all the work yourself, you can come out even or slightly ahead on a restoration. Thats assuming you dont count your own labor hours of course (materials only)... after all, its a labor of love!

Buying a newer old boat (late 80's, early 90's) wont necessarily have you coming out ahead. After all, those boats are 20 years old and many need restoration just as badly as something 30-40 years old. While the skiing performance is obviously better, the cost of entry is much higher as well. Theyre also more complex to put back together- theyre larger, heavier, have more interior cushions, etc, so theyre more expensive to restore. Theres something to be said for the older, simpler boats. Theyre fun and just plain cool.

I like Hollywood's idea of keeping a 70's SN in the garage for weekend lake hopping.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 6:25pm
If it's a trailer queen/lake hopper, I'd say look at what you want and then see what it'll take to get there. I could easily have a newer boat for what I have in mine, but I know it'll start, it won't sink, and I've learned a lot in the process.

There are some excellent threads here on the site of different year and model stringer repairs.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 6:39pm
The way I look at it is any yahoo can putt around in a dock beaten boat, but it's the old CC's that have had alot time, money, and TLC put into them that really turn heads. Go vintage and keep it origanal. You'll thank yourself later, not to mention you'll have all the help and tech support from the guys here at the site that you'll ever need. IMO.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 6:42pm
I think that any time some one is looking to build a boat for general weekend rec use the budget is in the eye of the beholder. having come up thru the 60's till now skiing behind almost every tournament boat ever on the market,the later 90-96 and the 97-01 ski nautiques by far and above would be almost a no brainer. considering that most all of the unrestored 60,70's up to and including the 92 Ski Nautiques are wood stringer boats and most all will need to be either replaced or reglassed and floors put in, not a friendly propisition cost wise.
If you are a tournament skier and want to run the slalom course then the new hulls are the way to go as they track far better than any 70's and 80's boats. and also look at it this way for what the manufacturers are asking for new boats today one can rebuild a 90's ski nautique and sit on it cause some skier that cant afford a new one will come a knockin to buy your nice restored 95 all composite ski nautique.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 6:52pm

Lake Minocqua.

No kidding? We spend a couple weeks up there a year. I don't recall seeing an 03 on that lake- unless it's the blue one on the lift by the Whale. We usually stay on Kawaga. Actually, maybe you're on the East side of the lake. We don't usually get over that far.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

. I could easily have a newer boat for what I have in mine,

Ain't that the truth...I could own 2 boats for what I have in mine but it's my classic ride and that's ok with me. There are plenty of CCFans around to pull me behind the real nice stuff!!!!
Toigs325 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toigs325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Lake Minocqua.

No kidding? We spend a couple weeks up there a year. I don't recall seeing an 03 on that lake- unless it's the blue one on the lift by the Whale. We usually stay on Kawaga. Actually, maybe you're on the East side of the lake. We don't usually get over that far.

Thats my boat, the blue Nautique on the shorestation between Bosacki's and the Minaqua Bat Waterski Show.
2003 Ski Nautique 196 SE
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 8:17pm
Alan, your ride is beyond sharp; hope to have mine in the same condition someday!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2009 at 8:41pm
Well, Thank you, BuffaloBFN

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 12:02am
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Definitely no budget restoring. And you'll never get your money back.

The payback is in the pride of owning something tied to our heritage.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 12:38am
Line length, boat speed and skier skill have so much to do with how you perceive wakes, but if you're serious about hard core free skiing or the course, I have to agree with Mr. Seal that the 90-96 is the boat to have. But I have owned an '80, 2-2001 model hulls and a '93, and each has it benefits.
The '80 was a very small boat compared to the others, and when people moved around inside it, it felt like a canoe wobbling around. At 36mph, the wake was reasonable at 28 and 32 off. At 22 off there is a huge rooster tail, and below 32 off a deep trough.   It was a very fun wakeboard boat though, with a very crisp wake with little ballast. It had great design lines, and its interior was simple like a classic english sports car. Slalom snobs accustomed to new boats had other opinions about the wakes.
The '83 and '89 were identical from a skiing perspective, but the 83 was more like the 80 in its interior feel. I'd say the wakes were similar to the 80 at 28 and 32 off, but a little softer. The rooster tail was smaller at 22 off, and the trough not as deep beyond 32 off. The wake was not as crisp for wakeboarding unless you used a bit of ballast.
The 93 is a great boat. As much as I want a newer boat, its hard for me to justify it purely from the skiing perspective. The wakes are flat and soft at almost any line length. Wakeboarding still requires ballast if you want any air at all. The boat does not have the classic inboard look of the earlier models though.
As a second project/fun boat, any of them are great, I would mostly caution you that if you are accustomed to a newer model tournament slalom boat (or god forbid one of those giant wakeboard boats) the pre-2001 model hulls will seem very small. I love the 82-86 models because you get the bigger 2001 hull and good ski and wakeboard wakes, but retain the classic Correct Craft look of the earlier years.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 12:44am

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Lake Minocqua.

Thats my boat, the blue Nautique on the shorestation between Bosacki's and the Minaqua Bat Waterski Show.

What are the chances of that! I've admired that boat for years! Nice rig!!!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 12:54am
Restoring old boats is definitely fulfilling, but, as some have mentioned, don't expect to get paid for your time, only your parts and materials....maybe. You will get the pride and satisfaction of cruising around in an old classic. Its definitely fun!

I have been working on an old Southwind the past two winters, but, I think I have gone far enough with it. I was thinking I would cut the floors out and put new foam in this winter, but, I don't think I will now. The boats just not worth it. I just use it for what it is, and enjoy it for that.

Here is a '97 that a freind of mine owns here in IL and that is for sale on this forum. I know she would negotiate a good price with you if you decide to go with a fairly new boat as has others have suggested may be an option for you to consider. The trailer definitely needs work. She upgraded to a 2006 SN this year, and doesn't need two boats.

'97 SN

Here is an '82 that is for sale right there in Minoqua. Have you looked at this one? Looks interesting. Good price. May be the right boat for you based on what you are saying. Just not a great slalom wake as compared to the '90 on, as I am sure you are aware.   

'82 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 1:27am
I think the older boats rather than being heavy are in fact narrower which makes them ride deeper and then making a larger wake. A late '70's Nautique would be a good choice in my opinion only because a '77 was the first one I skied behind.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Fibersport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fibersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 2:17am
Andrew,
Can you contact me off-list regarding Minocqua?
Thanks,
Greg
century66@sbcglobal.net
Toigs325 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toigs325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 5:16am
I want to thank everyone who has responded to my post. This is the first day I have been on this forum and I am very impressed with the quality of responses and the hospitality. There is a great deal of knowledge here and I can tell this will be a great resource for me. It has become increasingly evident to just how great Correct Craft Fans are (especially after my trip last year to the factory in Orlando) and I hope to dive into a project boat very soon. I will keep you all posted on my progress once I find the correct boat. Thanks
2003 Ski Nautique 196 SE
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 3:39pm

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my post. This is the first day I have been on this forum and I am very impressed with the quality of responses and the hospitality. There is a great deal of knowledge here and I can tell this will be a great resource for me. It has become increasingly evident to just how great Correct Craft Fans are (especially after my trip last year to the factory in Orlando) and I hope to dive into a project boat very soon. I will keep you all posted on my progress once I find the correct boat. Thanks

I have to agree completely, I have been looking for the right classic nautique since early this spring and have been greatly appreciative of the knowledge and information available at this site. I also appreciate everyone's patience with my questions.

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic