Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 351W Rear Main Seal Leaking

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rocketrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87 351W Rear Main Seal Leaking
    Posted: September-17-2009 at 7:16pm
I have a leaking rear main seal on my 87 351W Nautique and was wondering if anybody has dealt with this. I spoke to a engine repair place locally about doing work on the engine, and was pleased to hear that he has done a couple over the past 3 years. He even knew that they were reverse rotation engines! He said he wouuld do it($800) if I could get him the parts. Any help on what all is needed, and where to go to get it would be greatly appreciated. When pulling the engine, does it mess up the seal on the prop shaft? On a 22 year old boat that has some leakage, should I deal with that shaft seal at the same time? What parts would I need for that? I am rather new to this site, but have marveled in the depth of experience and knowledge that is shared and posted. Thanks.
Rod
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2009 at 7:34pm
You may want to check my info but I was told get the seal from Correct Craft, not from an auto vendor as they are different. A non marine one will leak and the Correct Craft one will not. There is a difference in the seal. Someone with more expierience will surely chime in.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2009 at 11:27pm
Rock,

At the end of the transmission there is a coupler with four bolts. This disconnects your drive Shaft from the Motor and Transmission. a about 6 inches down is a packing gland. It is a brass item that has a little rope packing in it. That packing keeps the water for coming into the boat. However, you need to adjust it so that it drips about 3 drips per minute. This packaging need water to keep cool. Companies ( OJ) makes a drip less packing. You need to do some forum search on repacking gland and adjusting the packing. If I had the motor out, I would want to change the cutlass bearing or bushing that is in the strut under the boat.

The Ford Marine Engines use a split or two part seal. This is why they have a history of leaking. I am going to pull my engine this winter and fix my leaking seal. I will also pull my drive shaft and check it to see that it is straight. I am also going to change my cutlass bushing or bearing. Go to www.skidim.com and you can see picture of many of these parts on their online catelog and it will teach you a lot about how your boat works.

If water is coming into your boat it may be coming in aroung your rudder. It also has a packing glad that needs packing. You tighting the rudder glad very tight and the drive shaft glad is not tightened very tight. Too tight will burn up the packing. Another source of water is old mufflers or leaking exhaust hoses.

I hope this helps,

Donald
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 12:03am
One correction, His '87 will have a one-piece seal. Its very easy to replace.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 1:24am
The trouble you might have is finding a seal, I hear they are getting scarce. Check with a site sponser, Karen at Correct Parts, they are on the lower left of this page. Also check the archives, the motor does not have to come out to do this repair,just the trans.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 11:32am
Originally posted by rocketrod rocketrod wrote:

He even knew that they were reverse rotation engines! He said he would do it($800) if I could get him the parts.

This should be a 1 afternoon job (Not counting any "while I am at it" repairs) - so this price seems rather high to me.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 4:19am
Our local Transmission shop quoted me 150 for the seal and labor.
87' 2001
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 10:17am
To clarify, the reason you should take this opportunity to do the cutlass bearings and the shaft seal is because you'll be able to pull the whole shaft back out into the boat after removing the propeller. This way you avoid the entire PITA of pressing the coupling off the shaft and going the other way. Another bonus is that if you get a dripless seal from OJ props (highly recommended) the installation of that will be infinitely simpler since you'll be putting the nicely tapered prop-end of your shaft through the seal rather than doing it the reverse way, which is a bit tricky. Being able to pull the shaft out that way (into the boat) is a real luxury!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

rocketrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 12:28pm
I appreciate all your help. From what everyone has responded it looks as if I probably could tackle this myself. Can anyone give me verification that I will not have to pull the engine to do this on a '87 Ski Nautique with a 351W PCM. Having to pull the engine would be a deal breaker with my garage set-up, and Iowa's winters.
Rod
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 12:31pm
If you're not going to pull the motor, scratch off the driveshaft seal and cutlass job. You'll have to do those jobs the traditional way (the hard way) if the engine is still there.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 11:39pm
Somewhere on this site there was pictures of how to support the motor while you pull the trans. I tried to find them but could not. Pete, anyone? Those pictures would really help show you how to do it. Makes you appreciate a Holman Moody
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 11:49pm
You can just use a jack under the exhaust manifold to support the engine. I used a scissors jack from my car. Doesn't hurt to place a block of wood under the engine for safety too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 9:53am
I know Johns (Jbear) son did his rear main not too long ago. I do believe he used the jack method under the manifolds to get the engine high enough to do the job. thread on Dennis doing John's rear main

BTW, where have you been Jbear??? I thought since you've moved to Florida you no longer go into hibernation!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 11:32pm
Since he's been retired Pete he's just too busey
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 5:19pm
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12716&KW=rear+main+seal&title=tranny-removal

This is my thread from last year. It may be of some interest. My boat is a 95 and at the time had all the protec ignition that was a pain to work around. Yours should be much easier. I am only going to tell this part of the story b/c I like this site more than my reputation:

Originally, I thought the tranny was leaking, when i got into it I found the leak appeared to be from the rear main seal. Being the cheap/stubborn sob I am, I bought a seal from the auto store, compared them, then decided they were very similar and i went with it. I recently noticed some oil around the bell housing. I cant say for sure wether the seal is leaking again, or if I just missed the original leak. I may tackle it again this winter.....so, long story short, I think I would go with the marine/pcm seal to be on the safe side. There, I said it! I feel a lot better now.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12716&KW=rear+main+seal&title=tranny-removal

This is my thread from last year. It may be of some interest. My boat is a 95 and at the time had all the protec ignition that was a pain to work around. Yours should be much easier. I am only going to tell this part of the story b/c I like this site more than my reputation:

Originally, I thought the tranny was leaking, when i got into it I found the leak appeared to be from the rear main seal. Being the cheap/stubborn sob I am, I bought a seal from the auto store, compared them, then decided they were very similar and i went with it. I recently noticed some oil around the bell housing. I cant say for sure wether the seal is leaking again, or if I just missed the original leak. I may tackle it again this winter.....so, long story short, I think I would go with the marine/pcm seal to be on the safe side. There, I said it! I feel a lot better now.

link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nowakemc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowakemc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2010 at 11:59pm
87 351w has a one piece seal skidim.com to purchase the correct one for your right hand rotation engine. be sure to use a thread sealant on the flywheel bolt or it will leak oil from there. you don't have to remove the engine to replace just the transmission, damper drive plate and flywheel. be sure to make the flywheel so you put it back on the same for balance. the seal will be visible once you remove the flywheel. you can pop it out with a flat head screwdriver . be careful not to nick the crank surface. take the new seal and tap carefully into place and reassemble. You can support the engine with a block of wood while doing the work. As for the cutlass bearing and shaft seal you will need to have the boat on land. I cut my cutlass bearings in half legnthwise and then knocked it out with a hammer and cold chisel. some unit have a set screw holing them in the strut my did not. once the old ones were out clean up the surface to make way for the new. using a block of wood and a hammer carefully tap the new bearing into the strut. Shaft seal replacement undo the coupling nut dig out all the old pieces probably 3 then take the new material and cut 3 or 4 pieces just long enough to wrap around the shaft to have the ends meet. then place them into the coupling staggering the ends and hand tighten the coupling nut. final allignment and tightening should be done in the water. since the tranny came out the coupling will need to be propperly aligned once boat is in the water with a fair amoutnt of fuel in the tank so the hull will settle properly.
rocketrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 11:38am
Thanks for the information. I hope to gain enough knowledge someday to be able to share something of value back with you all.
Rod
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic