NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slalom Technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Fatboy206 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatboy206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slalom Technique
    Posted: September-27-2009 at 11:05am
I have questions that I'd like to ask about slalom skiing and would like to know if this forum is the place to do so. Basically I have questions relating to technique, as a beginner/intermediate skier I would like to improve my skiing skills. There are no ski schools where I live. Many thanks.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 11:14am
Ask away here or another site you could try is www.fifteenoff.com
Fatboy206 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatboy206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 11:53am
Thank you. Been doing slalom for a year now, been on a Big Daddy Connelly, getting HO 71 2008 soon, trying to improve my technique, no ski schools where I am so battling along learning from experience. First question I have is: coming out of a turn with lots of slack on the rope, is the 27 mph way too slow and is it becasue I am not cutting back after the turn quickly enough thereby causing excessive slack in the rope?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 12:41pm
Don't pull out so far after the 2nd wake and take your time going into the turn.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2009 at 12:02pm
^^^Nailed it. If you keep pulling hard well after the second wake you will carry too much speed out wide. Now when you start to cut back you are going a lot faster than the boat and end up with a lot of slack. When you cross the 2nd wake, you should be starting to change edges (starting your turn). This will start slowing you down and set you up for the hard cut (the finish of the turn). If you don't have access to immediate means of training, you can benefit from watching lots of video online of prof. skiers. Watch how they cut across the wakes and where they stop pulling. You'll notice that they're almost always finished pulling right near the 2nd wake, from there they start their "pre-turn".

Good luck!
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2009 at 8:16pm
Question: I have a connely FX, I set the little foil on the fin to the full down position because I felt like I was going to fast and shooting right past the balls . Bad Idea ? I never knew I should be letting up on the pull after the second wake. It makes sense but I sorta feel if I keep pulling there is no way im going to make it.
lonestar
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2009 at 11:20pm
the wing problably isn't even needed until your in a line off situation. If you pull solidly through the wakes you should already be generating enough speed to change your edge which will start your turn, round the ball and begin the pull process all over again. Do not look at the ball when pulling, pic a spot before it. If you look at the ball you'll never get to it. If your just free skiing then do the same thing just pretend the ball was there.
Fatboy206 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatboy206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 3:31am
Thanks Riley and C-Bass for those tips, makes perfect sense, will go it a go this weekend. Next question:I get the bit about changing the edge just after the second wake (and looking at videos of the pros I can see now that as one crosses the wake after the turn the skier has to be leaning outwards on the edge of the ski) but I need some clarity on where/when to make the final cut/turn. I think I'm going out too far.Is there a suggested angle relative to boat center line that I could gauge how where to position the rope when I make that final cut so that I don't go too wide?
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 11:59am
I am fortunate enough to have Jeff Rodgers as an old high school friend, and local guy. I have been going out to his lake for lessons. Fantastic guy, and unbelievable skier. Last night, he stood on the back of the boat and pointed his hands out, angled out slightly, and told me to do the work behind the boat. My problem is body position on my off side pull.
I think what others are saying is correct, dont pull out so far, let the ski do the turn, wait until the ski tip gets back under the rope, then start to pull. Be patient it will come. Go out and ski like a kid, back and forth over and over to get the feel. Work on keeping the rope tight. Is your rope full length? If so try it at 15' off.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by lonestar lonestar wrote:

Question: I have a connely FX, I set the little foil on the fin to the full down position because I felt like I was going to fast and shooting right past the balls . Bad Idea ? I never knew I should be letting up on the pull after the second wake. It makes sense but I sorta feel if I keep pulling there is no way im going to make it.

Yes, bad idea. Leave the wing off till you are at least 34 mph/22 off or 28 off.

Don't compromise form to make a few balls, its the best way to hit a firm plateau to progress.

Your double-pull is setting you up for too much acceleration before the ball. its an indicator your cut and pull through the wake is what needs the biggest adjustments.

Form out of the turn and body position across the wake is essential to acceleration that carries you out smoothly while transitioning across to flat, decelerating and entering the preturn.

Width will return when your form, power and confidence across the wake improve.

For now, attack the wake, critique your form when center to the boat.
However the time to correct your form is not in the middle of the wake, its too late then. Form for the cut is set after you exit the turn.
The turn is the easy part.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 1:51pm
^^^ Definitely agree...getting your form right out of your cut and holding it strong thru the wakes seems to be 95% of slalom skiing. Everybody loves & focuses on how to make the big beautiful arcing spray out on the turn, but without the proper setup the turns are usually lacking, inconsistent, and out of control.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 5:36pm
I concur, C-Bass!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

the wing problably isn't even needed until your in a line off situation.

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Yes, bad idea. Leave the wing off till you are at least 34 mph/22 off or 28 off.

Looking to improve my skills I recently picked up a HO NOS. (I had been using a Connelly Sport.) The NOS has the Syndicate fin box w/ the foil which is new for me. I'm not skiing a course or line off yet, just free skiing and working on stability, speed, confidence/comfort through the wake at 27-28 mph.
Should I take the fin off until I'm skiing faster on a shorter line?
At what point do you start taking line off?

Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Do not look at the ball when pulling, pic a spot before it. If you look at the ball you'll never get to it.

About how far from the ball do you focus?

As an aside... Tom, (Fatboy206) are you really writing from the UAE?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 2:27pm
From everything I've ever read, yes, take the foil(wing) off.

Typically you wouldn't start taking line off until you're quite proficient at your current line length. You're not skiing the course so obviously this will just be up to your own personal feel. I don't know what you're skiing behind and its wake characteristics, but you may try different line lengths to see if you can get a better wake. I know our boats wake at 34mph is a heck of a lot better at 22off than 15off. The rooster tail is very bad at 15off.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 5:12pm
Terp,
we may be pressuming you are at 60' now, but maybe you are not.
If you are on the 75' long-line, move to 15' off immediately and don't look back, else poor habbits will be reinforced, etc.

River Rat to Mole
Fatboy206 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatboy206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2009 at 3:06am
Yes, from Dubai, UAE, where "WINTERIZATION" is not part of our vocab and in a few months of summer, when outside temp is 46 degree C,the water is too warm for comfort!But we can ski all year round!
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2009 at 10:24am
Form:   I think your right, I find upper body getting pulled forward a bit when cutting through the wake.
lonestar
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2009 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Terp, we may be pressuming you are at 60' now, but maybe you are not. If you are on the 75' long-line, move to 15' off immediately and don't look back, else poor habbits will be reinforced, etc.

I've been skiing 75' but I'll go to 60' this week-end. Thanks for the tips, this has been a good thread. Sometimes I wonder how many bad habits I've already developed. One of these days I just need to breakdown, take the time off and attend a course.

Originally posted by Fatboy206 Fatboy206 wrote:

Yes, from Dubai, UAE, where "WINTERIZATION" is not part of our vocab and in a few months of summer, when outside temp is 46 degree C,the water is too warm for comfort!But we can ski all year round!

That's great. Are you skiing in the Gulf?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2009 at 2:02pm
IF you are a traditionalist,and like the traditional style, the hips need to thrust WAY forward as you exit the turn, and this is held across the wakes(you'll know it when you feel it) Imagine the hips a hinge. Measuring the angle as you face forward, hips are thrust forward and up to the handle, as you open your hinge beyond flat to, say 183 degrees or so.. all before the rope loads up, else its too late. This way your skeleton transmits the power from your shoulders to your legs, not via the lower back muscles.

West-cost style is a lower, somwehat crushed stance, the hips stay rearward, the difference between highest and lowest skier speeds appear less, and more speed carried into and out of the turn. It suits some very well. The hips stay well under the 180 degrees open, and it relies more heavily on back muscles. However, peak loads in the rope are less.

Both are something to behold when done right.

River Rat to Mole
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2009 at 6:31pm
To add pictures to the Traditional vs West Coast discussion....

Traditional...Notice Chris Parrish's hips, how they are raised high almost to the handle. His shoulders are way back as well.

Now look at Terry Winter. Notice how low his hips are, and more vertical his back/shoulders are.

Of course...don't expect to look like this coming out of your turns....these guys are onlyl some of the best in the world.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2009 at 12:49am
I need to move to warmer climates.
lonestar
Fatboy206 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatboy206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2009 at 3:26am
Yes. You will not believe how good the conditions can get some days.This past Friday we had the most awesome flat water.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2009 at 2:52pm
This is a great topic. It's great to see all the great responses. Joel's site was helpful to me over the summer www.fifteenoff.com. I had a major issue with slack rounding the ball. They advised me that I was pulling too long and then skiing down the course on my turns. I simply stopped pulling once I crossed the wake and started my turn. This corrected the slack issue. Hip to the handle has been something I've been working on. Easier said than done!
dcw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 2:32pm
Also, If I may add something I am working on. Back arm pressure. If you look at Terry's left bicep and compare it to his right bicep and both or the "Tower's" in the pictures shown previously you will notice Terry is using strength for back arm pressure (the theory is that this lowers or "centres" (in west coast jargon)the mass.
dcw
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 2:56pm
I dont think my 43 yo back could handle the Terry Winter (west coast) position!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 3:00pm
One could spend a couple lifetimes improving their slalom technique. There are basics associated with the discipline, learn those and then go to a ski school.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 3:02pm
Me too. and if i were forced to ski that way, i'd give it up on just how ugly it looks.

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 3:09pm
I often end up looking like Terry althoguh I'm trying to ski like Chris...
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 3:12pm
It is funny to me how the label west coast and traditional styles have come about. I am not sure where or when it came about (probably some magazine hype) but for the most part I have not seen to many tall skiers use the "west coast style". And for years and I go back to the mid 70's the strong shorter slalom skiers used a butt down, bent knee closed shoulder power type technique and the taller skiers used a more upright shoulder away approach. But if you look at all these skiers they all have one thing in common and that is the idea of keeping the ski knees and hips in front of the shoulders, the idea of keeping the ski out front. I think the only real advancement in slalom is the one handed gate.

A suggestion for those that want to learn shorter line lengths. Most skis are not designed to ski 75'or even 15 off. It is not uncommon to slow the boat down 2-4 mph and shorten the rope and practice 22 or 28 off. The real nice thing about this approach is that a skier does not have to negoiate rooster tails and bigger wakes.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

One could spend a couple lifetimes improving their slalom technique. There are basics associated with the discipline, learn those and then go to a ski school.

www.skiparadise.com

I am heading here next month! Somehow, someway, I talked the wife into it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic