NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001v-drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 21>
Author
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

most likely you will need to replace the trim panel fasteners one you remove them as they become bristle and break...BoatDR carries them at $1 or so each...

Those are available at mcmaster.

Tim

Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 2:22pm
It's looking really good! I'll have to plan a trip down your way sometime after you're done with it to see it in person.
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 5:01pm
Got the top wetsanded,buffed and one coat of wax on her.

Moved the axle back 15 inches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 6:11pm
You will have to plan it around a lake trip because I am going to use the hell out of it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 11:04pm
Ryan,
I'm just wondering how you determined the axle needed to go back the 15". Did you set the boat down on the trailer and get the tongue weight? I remember rebuilding the TeeNee for my Atom. I played with that thing moving the axle back and forth several times. I found that even a 1" movement made a big difference.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 12:30am
Eric,

Just noticed an old picture of yours. What did you finish the floor of your boat with in the thread talking about alignment? It was gray in color, smooth and shiny.

By the way, my dad owned a transmission shop for years and I saw where you were in that line of business. Thanks.

scott branum
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 9:31am
Pete,I used a air nautique trailer for my base line.I am hoping to dial the tounge in with the bow stop.The boat has yet to be on the trailer in this configuration.I do hope its close because cutting all those welds back off is no fun.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 9:53am
2 part urethane, Ha, he must be a little insane too,
business has changed a touch, doing alot of engine work lately, moreso than trans work...but it is trans season and they are rolling in.
btw, wasnt my boat.
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

You will have to plan it around a lake trip because I am going to use the hell out of it.

For sure! I'd love to make it a lake trip. What lakes do you go to?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 5:17pm
Lake lugert,steed,lawtonka,kemp and sometimes I will travel a bit like the reunion at lake lewisville.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 5:18pm
You guys should really try Murray, it's well worth the drive.
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 12:33am
Ive never been to murray Ryan but I hear its nice

Traler is done,boat is buffed

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 2:59pm
Really looking good!

I'd really like to try out Murray sometime. I'll probably be moving to OKC in the summer, so I'll be a lot closer to Murray. I've heard it's cleaner than Tenkiller and stays pretty calm.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 10:27pm
Tenkiller is awesome, I'm originally from Muldrow. My grandma sold the ranch and moved to tenkiller (Park Hill) about 15 years ago, right on the water. Thats where I bought my boat a year ago.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 12:16pm

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 12:37pm
Ryan,
How's the tongue weight working out on the trailer? Of course when you put some gas in that bow tank that will make a big difference!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 6:14pm
Ryan, did you paint the windshield frame? I need to do that on mine, which paint and sheen did you use?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 1:47am
Pete,the axle ended up 12.75 inches back with a tongue weight of 75 pounds but thats just the windsheild and tower.The bunks are flush with the transom so I have a little adjusting room if she gets too heavy.
With that said I don't recommend my guestimation shade tree approach to anyone.Not putting the boat on the trailer was a big risk and I basically just got lucky.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 1:56am
Anthony,I disassembled the frame and blasted it course with fine sand so the paint wouldn't flake.Almost anything will stick to it after you blast it and its aluminium so hydroscopic paints are not much of a concern.
I prefer the satin blacks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 5:26pm
So I lake tested the boat today.Other than the back half of the upholstery the boat is done.I did have a few problems though.For starters the idle on the carb changed a few times leading me too believe there is a little bit of trash in it.Second, the combination of new gell,bunks and the weight in the back allows the boat to slide side to side.Sadly I figured this out after it rubbed the fenders.Third,the boat comes out of the hole over five grand so I guess I have the wrong prop(13-16-4 blade)and last but not least its got a healthy vibration.I changed the prop to a 14-16-3 blade and it got worse so I pulled the prop and ran it in gear without one just to make sure I didn't have a more serious problem.As far as I can tell I have two bad props.
As for the motor being in the back it really didn't change the boat as much as I thought it would.It still has a drop of bow rise but probably half as much as the newer style v drives I have owned.I don't understand this but am vary happy with the way it handles and drives.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 5:33pm
I will get you guys some better pictures when I get the rest of my upholstery back

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 5:40pm
Sweet dude!!!!! Congrats on a crazy project well done!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

84resto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84resto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 5:55pm
I've been waiting to see the finished product, very very nice!! Glad to see everythign went well during the test too.

If you go back to my old posts, possibly on the2001.com i discussed prop selection. What ratio vdrive did you go with?   I know we have same hull and same engine so prop selection shouldnt be too far off.   

Took me 3-4 prop exchanges with acme to get what i liked. I forget off the top of my head what i ended up with.

Doublecheck your shaft to vdrive alignment.

Post some more pictures!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 6:04pm
looking good!!!
what is in your mind for the hull graphics? probably already discussed...
but didnĀ“t want to read all 16 pages to find out..LOL
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 6:07pm
Looks great! I am sure it will get a lot of attention on the lake!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 7:37pm
AWESOME!!!
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 7:38pm
also, any noticable changes in the wake??
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 8:52pm
Good deal. Looks good on the water. I'm sure you'll work out the kinks. I look forward to seeing it in person some day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 9:39pm
I just got a few good sets on her and the wake for some reason unknown to me is almost identical to the dd wake.Its a little bigger due to the extra ballast and it doesn't nose dive like it used too.It seems a little steeper but not by much.All around a very usable worthwhile conversion that opens up tons of interior space.
After borrowing a few props I decided on a 13.5-16-4 blade.That should pull my rpms down under 5 grand and still give me the hole shot needed for the massive ballast.
I feel alot better now that its been on the water and I know its functional.Thats alot to think about for 8 months.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 10:00pm
Most 1.5:1 Vdrive boat nowadays use a 13.5x16 as a stock prop and the 13.5x14.5 as power prop.

Keep in mind this are much larger heavier boats.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 21>
  Share Topic