NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001v-drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 21>
Author
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 10:01pm

Glad to hear that the tests are doing good.
Just be careful on the water till you get it all worked out.

The boat looks great and I bet the finish project will shine !!!

Dave
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

I will get you guys some better pictures when I get the rest of my upholstery back

Form,
Is this weighted? If unweighted, it definitely seems to sit more like a vdrive. Looks like a great job. Wish I had your skills. Congrats
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 10:21pm
Is that in Lawton?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 10:36pm
Pretty amazing transformation, interesting to hear the wake does not seem much different. Depending on what was in the old foam, the boat may have lost some weight, less the new ballast of course.

Curious on the Blue color, tough to tell from the photo's, did you use the same color Gel as original or something different? Really like the colored deck!
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 1:16am
Dave,its pretty nerve racking water testing a boat thats so far from factory.

Steve,that pic is the boat dry but I will get you some weighted next time I go.

Ryan,Thats lake lugert

Quinner,I gelled the whole boat medium blue(the factory was kinda tarheels baby blue.

Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 12:46pm
Glad to see you got her wet! Looks amazing, congrats

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 5:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 6:01pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 6:04pm
Wow,my pictures really suck
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 6:23pm
No they don't!! Bring on some more!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 7:22pm
That boat looks great. When I first heard of a v-drive conversion of a 2001 boat, I wasn't optimistic that the outcome would look as good as it does. You and 84resto proved me wrong big time. I think you guys took really great boats and made them even better by making them more inline with today's mainstream watersports. Heres' some things I've always thought would've been neat to change about the boat (assuming your doing a radical conversion like you did).   

1. entire observer seat swings up like on the 90s and newer Nautiques
2. maybe a jump seat behind the driver seat
3. make the entire rear seat swing up on some sort of heavy duty hinge (like the observer seat on the newer 90s Nautiques) so that access to the vdrive, ballast and storage could be enhanced.
4. not sure about a bench seat along the starboard side as the boat is kind of narrow for that. If it was doable though, storage underneath that seat would make that vdrive converted set up pretty incredible.
5. moving the factory pylon to just behind the rear seat if it could be incorporated in w/o interfering with the v drive. Ball of pylon just above the upholstery. Would be nice attachment point for tubing on those glassy days...kidding
6. move the platform up (if need be to get it at or slightly above water line) and replace brackets with removeable swim platform brackets
7. foldaway trailer tongue.
8. speed control, of course
9. driver seat swivels

Just curious, since you did all the work yourself, other than labor and a vdrive...is there alot of materials cost to doing a conversion like this?

Again, awesome job. I'm proud of myself when I get the oil changed without fouling up the bilge, but this thread leaves me feeling that my membership in the man club is in danger of being revoked. Great work. I'm not worthy
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 7:47pm
Not to hijack f&f's thread, but I've got some of these in the works, been waiting a long time actually.

Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

2. maybe a jump seat behind the driver seat (will have 2001 stiched where the N swoop is now, and open bottom to slide skis and a boom through)
6. replace brackets with removeable swim platform brackets (been hemming and hawwing on this since $100+ per bracket is steep)
7. foldaway trailer tongue. (cardboard model soon to be displayed)

Cash flow and time is what is delaying these projects.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 9:11pm
I'm not sure how you plan to finish the back of the boat but I feel the engine is too enclosed and may not get enough fresh air. Just keep that in mind.

On the lake, I suggest you test the engine with both the engine hatch closed and open.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 9:37pm
Thought he ran fresh intake hoses?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 9:57pm
I'm sure he did, the question is if will be enough.

That's why I suggest he opens the hatch while under way to see if the rpms increase, he could also check on WOT numbers and even gas usage.

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 10:11pm
Good idea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 12:27am
The air circulation on this boat is a work of art.It enters through the high pressure zone below the windsheild and tracks through the bottom exiting at the v-drive.Then it pushes past the motor up out the rear vent and scoop on the sun deck.In reality the dd version has a disadvantage not having a vent hole on top of the engine.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 1:11am
You planned everything really well. No Doubt in my mind that baby will run sweet!

Your camera's auto focus settings must be off. Either that or press the button halfway down for a second so that it focuses before pressing all the way down. Sometimes in low light settings point and shoot cameras need a second to focus. Make sure the flash is going off in the garage too. If not they will be blurred.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 9:42am
F an F, I just pulled the same set-up from a carver, the mounts are on the v-drive. i wouldnt say anything but thats one helluva lotta weight hanging aft of the trans mounts, and then under forward thrust you are pushing a 2500lb boat. its just my thoughts and dont mean to offend.
"the things you own will start to own you"
Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 1:06pm
Im digging that upholestery! super plush

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 1:14pm
Eric,I Know its been bothering you and the under forward thrust is a fact so I will have my helper make a thrust mount just in case.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 3:08pm
form it looks SWEEEET! Mad props man. That is a great job!

Where did you get the rub rail? I want to do that to mine and get rid of the rope! I contacted CC but they said they didn't have that kit for my boat.

Thanks!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 3:22pm
That interior is very 80s/West Coast, I like it.

Do you have the old skins?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 3:37pm
I cannot wait to see this boat in June!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 3:40pm
btw, again beautiful job
"the things you own will start to own you"
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 4:03pm
Don't they call that "tuck and roll"?

How much weight are you going to be able to put back in the compartments beside the engine? What about front weight?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

form it looks SWEEEET! Mad props man. That is a great job!

Where did you get the rub rail? I want to do that to mine and get rid of the rope! I contacted CC but they said they didn't have that kit for my boat.

Thanks!

http://www.rubrails.com/

This type of rubrail is very stiff and looks good but it binds around the sharp corners requiring a small cut on the bottom.You can't really see it and white seam sealer covers it up just fine.I would use it again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 5:08pm
Kevin,the skins where in pretty bad shape so they got chunked.

Andy,the interior is 1.25 inch pleats,tuck and roll is when you fold the fabric over itself.
As for the ballast I can't really say because they don't fill all the way up but theres two five hundreds in the rear,one in the nose and a four hundred in the center.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 6:13pm
Cool. I will check it out.

How did you pipe the ballast? Do you have a scoop on the bottom and have it all plummed and switches on the dash?
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 8:26pm
Ryan,

That's funny because our situations are so similar. My bags are 400#, 400# and 350# when full, but they won't ever fill full, so I'm guessing. I'll measure and calculate to get close, so I have a good idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 21>
  Share Topic