NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001v-drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 21>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2009 at 10:30pm
Lookin good Ryan, You work in the dark down there or what?

Here's some pics of the boat I was telling you about. I think it looks sharp.

form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2009 at 10:50pm
I like the pick with the factory (correct craft competition ski boat).Looks classy all white with almost stock lettering.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 12:00am
Chris - Those jump seats are pretty trick. In windy conditions the stern seat can be a wet ride!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 12:10am
Prettiest colorscheme I've seen on a 2001!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 11:05pm
Got one floor stringer built and it only took four days.I built the entire stringer twice as thick as factory and added interlocking supports.I started by beding with long strand fiber and then locked it in with one coat of woven up the sides.I then went back and put another coat of woven encasing the entire stringer.Still looks thin to me,

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 10:03am
what is the purpose of the strap across the top??
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Cheaterpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheaterpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 10:56am
nice work! can't wait to see next...
Actual boat SANTE 210 from 2014
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 11:29am
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

I started by beding with long strand fiber and then locked it in with one coat of woven up the sides.I then went back and put another coat of woven encasing the entire stringer.Still looks thin to me

I agree. Most here (myself included) use at least 3 layers of glass on the stringers. In the past Ive done mat/cloth/mat, and will do mat/cloth/biaxial in the future. The mat and biax really add to the build up- it ends up being ~3/16" thick.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 11:44am

I started by beding with long strand fiber and then locked it in with one coat of woven up the sides.I then went back and put another coat of woven encasing the entire stringer.Still looks thin to me,

[

Since you ask... sounds a little thin to me as well. What is the weight of that cloth?. Your changing the whole loading of that boat when you move the engine I wouldnt be afraid to throw a couple extra layers of cloth at it. For the "interlocking supports" I would be less worried. I set mine in with 2inch, 4inch, and then 8 inch type, no bedding and only three layers, however on the 4 stringers I go with a minimum 2,2,4,4,8,8,full layer 10oz cloth, fully layer epoxy mat. Areas with more stress or with no floor on top got an addition layer (s) of the 10oz cloth oriented 45 degrees from the first and then a cap of epoxy matt over the top that extends up to 6 inches over the floor.

It takes a lot of woven cloth to build any thickness, and I do know the factory didnt always use the best materials or techniques but you will pull off areas of glass with considerable thickness, equal to a dozen layers of woven cloth or more. Also you doubled the thickness of the side stringer in the front where the v of the boat is taking more of the load but but cut it in half in the center of the boat where it is flatest, where the old motor load was and where the main stringers were cut down to allow engine installation. I dont think it is a big deal as long as you adjust your main stringers appropriately...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 11:53am
if you build a nice aluminum cradle for the engine to rest on it will disperse the load, I actually seen my first engine torque, it ripped right from the stringers on power up, it was an IO, with rot...i didnt really think it was possible....but again it was a chevy lol
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 1:00pm
I think I will go over it once more just to be safe but my main concern is the engine stringers.I have a plan for the mains that consist of several braces you can't get away with on a direct drive.I also don't know how to deal with the blank spaces between the wood seeing there will be zero foam in my boat.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 1:27pm
Wow! building it for big seas are ya!
Nice work! Very much overkill though on the sub stringers, going to be one hell of a solid boat!!
I agree about building a motor frame, distribute the load.
Keep up the good work, keep up with the pictures.

I have a 84 2001 and am getting some ideas!! Blown BBC, lenco and a 12 degree Casale V-drive!! Worlds fastest Ski Nautique,, Funny stuff!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 1:44pm

I also don't know how to deal with the blank spaces between the wood seeing there will be zero foam in my boat.

Here is how I did it, although I did have some foam from the front bulkhead onward, several have used plywood floors, some with foam some without. I went a little overkill with the support spacing but my boat is rock solid going down the lake and the floor has zero flex.

Floor with no foam
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 1:59pm
Looks good Ryan, I agree with the engine cradle.

Where is your bulhead going to be? I'm guessing your going to put the tank in between the stringers up in the bow. You think you'll have enough room to put another tank to use as ballast under the mains?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

I have a 84 2001 and am getting some ideas!! Blown BBC, lenco and a 12 degree Casale V-drive!! Worlds fastest Ski Nautique,, Funny stuff!!

There was a guy on the v drive forum that built a drag boat out of a ski boat.When he would hammer on it the boat would jump out of the water and cavitate because skiboat propshafts have steep angles.Ten plus I think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Here is how I did it, although I did have some foam from the front bulkhead onward, several have used plywood floors, some with foam some without. I went a little overkill with the support spacing but my boat is rock solid going down the lake and the floor has zero flex.

Floor with no foam

Your floor is almost identical to mine with the water channels.Did you notice any extra noise with the foam missing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Looks good Ryan, I agree with the engine cradle.

Where is your bulhead going to be? I'm guessing your going to put the tank in between the stringers up in the bow. You think you'll have enough room to put another tank to use as ballast under the mains?

Chris,my design so far has two bulkheads with fuel in the center and ballast under the bow.As far as the cradle I plan to reuse the factory one.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 5:47pm

There was a guy on the v drive forum that built a drag boat out of a ski boat.When he would hammer on it the boat would jump out of the water and cavitate because skiboat propshafts have steep angles.Ten plus I think.

Sounds about right, mine will lift the back end out of the water if you hammer it with no one in the back, don't know if its the angle that is the cause but it does happen.

There is no noise as a result of removing the foam on my boat, but coosa board is a considerably better sound insulator than plywood so your mileage may vary depending on what you use for the floor.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 10:34pm
Hey Joe,
I didn't think your hull was any more noisy than mine (stock).

Exhaust was a different story

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 12:13am
Half way done with the stringers.I have to say it's getting really tiresome,

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 1:16am
That framing looks really stout!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 1:07pm
More ambition than me...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 1:54pm
Eagerly watching...
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 2:09pm
Looks like it is coming along nicely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2009 at 1:01am
Keep on keepin on till its done

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 12:19am
Looks to me like two people glassed the floor in.The guy on the left was very careful and clean but the guy on the right was a slacker.I found huge gaps and naked wood all over the boat,I even found a drain that was draining under the stringer.Steel construction nails holding the frame together.Pretty crazy stuff.Its all gone now and a distant memory for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 12:22am
If you look very close you can see that the floor sinks towards the center a quarter inch for proper drainage.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 10:19am

If you look very close you can see that the floor sinks towards the center a quarter inch for proper drainage.

I did that as well and am glad I did. One thing to watch is engine cover clearance.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 1:41pm
He is making a v-drive, he has to make a new one anyway.

Ryan, interesting run for the wires and cables. Curious as to why you don't just run them down the middle? Easier access for replacements like steering and such.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 2:03pm
Probably gonna be some kind of tank there?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 21>
  Share Topic