NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001v-drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 21>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, no machine tools out in the back in your graveyard? Just horns?

No those were just a one time find Pete. I missed out on a nice parts washer once. I did talk to our mechanic and since then he always asks me first before getting rid of something.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 2:29pm
Ryan - How many quarts of gel did you apply & do you have any idea what mil thickness you ended up with? Great job, you're setting a speed record!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 5:27pm
I have no idea how thick the gell is but I shot a gallon and a half on the lower section of the boat.I would say five good coats.I didn't use the wax till the last coat.It came with no instructions or recomendations.
DAY_TRIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAY_TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 4:09pm
Form,

Here is a link to a how to on gel coating if you haven't already seen it. re-gelcoating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:06am
This is my first time working with gell but I will offer my two cents.
First,gellcoat is not something that should be attempted unless you have bodyshop experience and or a serious drive to get the job done.As an example I have over a hundred hours in wetsanding.You will also need a handfull of expensive tools.
Second,its not very healthy and care should be taken not to poison yourself as best you can.

I found that a standard sanding block doesn't work well on the straight sides of a boat and remebered a old trick from my bodyshop days.This will also work if your sanding you existing gellcoat.
Go to your local parts store and buy a roll of campertop foam seal then cut a wood block the length of sanding paper\width of seal.apply a piece of foam to one side and you have a rigid sanding block thats easy to hold onto without sanding your fingers off.Split a piece of paper in half then fold it and your ready to go.
I also use a rubber sqweegee to clear water away and inspect.Dish soap in the sanding water also helps a bit.

When sanding place the block at a slight angle and make long clean strokes making sure to stay off the edges.

When you are satisfied with a area use the sqweegee to mark your stopping point.

I started with 400 grit and then on to 1000 but everyone has a different system.Do what works best for you just remember whatever you start with you have to sand out later.Keep in mind too the longer you let it dry the harder the gell will get so start sanding as soon as possible.

I used about thirty sheets of 400 and twenty on 1000.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:16am
Gellcoat dries chemically and as such creates a sheen on the surface of every coat and can become visible if you sand through multiple coats.I assume this is the reason some boats can only be bought with a white cap as to hide flaws from the build process with the light color.With that said the goal of any gell job is to remove the orange peel without going throught the top layer of gell into the lower layers.Of course the seperation between coats is very faint and I could be over reacting.
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:40am
As an admitted tool junkie I'm surprised there's not a hutchins in your hand. Step it up and get a D.A. with the 3M interface pad. Hook-it disc's. Mmmmm. With serious orange peel and a beginners eye you could also guide coat before hand. Keep on kickin ass. You are doin a great job of makin me feel like a giant slug. : )
My Blue 82SOLD!
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:44am
Btw what was your flash time between coats? Was the gel still stringy while recoating? Ar did it get to the point where it would only take a finger print? Just tryin to figure the coat shadowing.
My Blue 82SOLD!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 9:06am
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

This is my first time working with gell but I will offer my two cents.
First,gellcoat is not something that should be attempted unless you have bodyshop experience and or a serious drive to get the job done.

Ryan,
Sorry, but I happen to disagree with this statement. What is most important, is a understanding of proper fluid/air tip selection on the equipment by having a understanding of viscosities using a Zahn or Ford cup for measurement.

You must have missed or didn't do a re gel search on site for any information. Michelle (sanity) re gelled her hull and had never picked up a spray gun in her life. However, she was very thorough in her research.

Looks like you were able to keep the orange peel to a minimum. How far did you reduce the gel and what did you use to reduce it?

Looking great! Keep the pictures comming!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 10:21am
no comments from me
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 10:36am
My goal is never to have to re-gel an entire hull!

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:39pm
Andy,I shot the gell as fast as I could but it tacks before you can clean your gun and mix a new batch.I have a da and a file but the boat has a curve along the entire side making the pad ride on the edge.

Pete,If you go back and read my post is say(bodyshop experience and or a serious drive to get the job done)as to imply it can be done with the right motivation.I was just trying to let people know its a big job.
To reduce the gell I used the recomended amount of styrene,I can't remember what that was now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:42pm
If anybody has any info on the coat shadowing I would love to hear it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:26pm

Pete,If you go back and read my post is say(bodyshop experience and or a serious drive to get the job done)as to imply it can be done with the right motivation.

Ryan,
I did read it the first time and the reason I left this part in when I quoted you:

or a serious drive to get the job done.

I understand that it can be challenging but just wanted to make to clear that it doesn't require body shop experience. I've never worked in a body shop. I did however go to Binks training school! Michelle (sanity) has got some VERY serious drive!!! Take a look at her thread sometime. I didn't want your statement to scare anyone off who may want to try it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

no comments from me

seriously....... you know you wanna
My Blue 82SOLD!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

As an admitted tool junkie I'm surprised there's not a hutchins in your hand. )

Me too Andy.Since you mentioned Hutchins,do you have any experence with the waterbug? waterbug III
I did my transom with my da this summer just to try it out and it worked pretty well. I heard somewhere else but not sure it's true,that when you use a waterbug, 1000 grit paper will act like 2000, 600 would be 1200 ect. If thats true a da should be the same.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 11:54am
I gave up on my DA simply because I don't have the air CFM needed to run one in my present shop/garage. A 5 HP (true actual HP) is needed and even then you need to watch the duty cycle of the compressor. In the meantime, I use my electric RO and a squirt bottle of water! No GFI - all the hand tools have been double insulated for better than 20 years!!! You don't need that much water anyway.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 1:08pm
Got the boat hard polished and it doesn't look all that good.I guess the boat being dull hides lots of small imperfections along with a few I caused.Overall theres not much I can do shy of regelling the boat but its good enough for what were doing.
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 2:48pm
I do have experience with the bug. But I still got wet. There is DA paper available at least up to 2000. Less mess, and I don't have running water available to me all the time.

As for the flaws... put some graphics on it. Outta sight, outta mind.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 8:10pm

Got the boat hard polished and it doesn't look all that good.I guess the boat being dull hides lots of small imperfections along with a few I caused.Overall theres not much I can do shy of regelling the boat but its good enough for what were doing.

Sorry to hear it didn't come out well.   Could you just shoot some clear on the sides?

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 10:28pm
Ryan,
Yes, sorry to hear about the results.

If you take on spraying more gel, There are a couple things to keep in mind.

You have stated that you did reduce the gel with styrene. Thats good because it is the proper solvent. You also said you reduced per the instructions but was that by volume or did you check the viscosity with the Ford cup? What temperature was the gel? I mentioned that it looked like you didn't get much orange peel and my very first thought was you really must have thinned it way out. My fear is you over reduced it to get the gel through the gun? Siphon feed? Did you size the fluid/air tip correctly for the viscosity? Reduced too much and you will not get it to cure properly and it will be dull. What gun did you use?

You have been flying through this project at a very fast speed. Maybe it's time to slow down some!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 12:13am
Pete,I used a 2.0 tip binks gravity and I want to say the styrene was ten or fifteen percent.Its not really that bad I just missed a few waves and minor flaws in my prepwork.Ahead as scheduled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 12:14am

Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 12:28am
White? Stripe mask is AWESOME.
My Blue 82SOLD!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 1:32am
Looks great to me, can't wait to see the finished product!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 7:35am
WOW, great work there!
That stripe masking is way cool...

Pete, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 10:30am
F and F, would you consider this one of those projects you do once and will never do it again?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 10:32am
"I just missed a few waves and minor flaws in my prepwork"

No one has a bigger critic than themselves.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 11:52am
cover the world in Sherwin Williams lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 11:59am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

F and F, would you consider this one of those projects you do once and will never do it again?

Thats a good question Eric.I like the mechanical and fabrication part but the paint is a bit of a chore.Not being any worse than my day job I would have to say I would do it again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 21>
  Share Topic