Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spark plugs changed or not ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spark plugs changed or not ?
    Posted: October-10-2009 at 6:08pm

Question, when you guys decide to change the plugs is it based on a visual inspection, hours used, seasons used ? Not to make a big deal out of nothing but when I compare the hours I put on the boat compared to the hours I might put on a car before the plugs get changed things are not quite equal. Is that a fair comparison ? Again not to make a big deal out of an easy maintenance procedure but is there something different about a boat that makes you want to change them sooner ?
lonestar
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2009 at 8:00pm
I just went 29 years (about 600 hours) on the plugs in my 312. They were really in amazing condition and even Charlie (brady) couldn't believe it! The old plugs pulled were Champion F10's. These are non resistor plugs that haven't been made in quite a few years! I wonder if that has anything to do with it?? I ended up getting RF10C's. I'll see if they will last another 29 years. That of course is if I make it that long!!!

BTW, I changed them just because I was doing a tune up after 29 years!! The boat was really running pretty good. I did the tune up because I was detecting a slight WOT mis at GL this year.

If your boat is running, starting and the plugs look fine I'd leave them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2009 at 8:46pm
Pete
I still have a hard time believing it!
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2009 at 10:02pm
Pete do you get extra points at these old boat shows if you still have the original plugs and points?
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2009 at 12:54am
Pete: I would say 29 years is the answer I was hoping for.
lonestar
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2009 at 10:51am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Pete do you get extra points at these old boat shows if you still have the original plugs and points?

Mark,
On the serious side, anything original is a big plus but it's understood that maintenance items need to be changed. Interestingly some of the plugs are getting real hard to find. Just like the old woven cotton insulated wire is being reproduced, some of the more common old plugs are too but wow are they expensive. In my case having to go to a resistor plug is common. I need to do some research on it because adding resistance to the high tension side of the ignition has got to have some effect. When I rebuild my 4 in the Atom, I did put a new set of resistor wires on it and although it ran for years I never thought it ran the greatest. I ended up getting a universal set of plain wires from the tractor supply and it did make a difference - gained some WOT RPM! The original plugs aren't available anymore for the 4 ether but a replacement is. I'll need to get the old and new plug numbers and see what changed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 11:32pm
I'm wondering if the stock plugs are painted on the end
like new cars?Pete check with me on NOS for the 4.

Munday

Half winterized,half hopeful
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic