Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which prop '92 Barefoot/Excel?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
michiel200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which prop '92 Barefoot/Excel?
    Posted: October-14-2009 at 8:30am
I read some good experiences regarding Amce and OJ props.
Any suggestions (brand/type/no of blades)?

My boat is a '92 Barefoot with a 5.8 HO 285hp and BW V drive.
And use the boat mostly for touring and wakeboarding at lower speeds.

'92 BFN
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 1:11pm
What is on it now and what gear ratio is the v-drive?
Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 3:09pm
Don't know which prop is on now.
I think it's still the original.
Three blade for sure.

The boat is still in the water.
I'll check prop and tranny this weekend.

'92 BFN
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 4:01pm
I believe mine has a 1.21 to 1 ratio with the 454ci engine and the stock 3 blade was a 13x18 that was changed to a 13x17. One major problem I noticed when removing was the lack of room between the prop and rudder. I'm not sure I could get a 4 blade or a 14" dia one on without dropping the rudder first.
Brian
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 2:29am
Acme 328, I got one for my 93 Excel this spring. I gained holeshot, and lost no top end or mpg. Acme builds this prop narrow because of the rudder clearance issue on the Barefoot/Excel hulls, I've heard that some other nautiques of this era had the issue as well, but I can't confirm that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2009 at 3:11pm
TX Foilhead, what engine and tranny do you have in your Excel?
'92 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2009 at 4:23pm
I've got the Pro Boss (351 Ford carbed) with a Warner Velvet Drive 1:1 and a Walters V Drive. I'm not exactly sure of the reduction on the V drive, it's about 1:1.2, but I don't have time to run down to the dock and look. I ran her all the way up the other night and she does 45 turning about 4200 rpm. I was disappointed because I thought she had run faster in the past, but the reading were of the Perfect Pass Stargazer, and when I looked at the original gauges, they were reading higher, and exactly what I expected. Not that big a deal because we tend to ride between 20 and 25, but I would like her to break 50 just to say I can. Guess I better get to reading that adding HP thread.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2009 at 11:39pm
That sounds like the 328 is a good prop for you or you may even want to go one inch less on the pitch which should bring you closer to 4600rpm and a better holeshot.
Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 2:57am
The 328 is very thin when you look at it from the side, as far as I know there are no other choices from Acme.    The Excel needs this thin prop for rudder clearance.   I've got a 422 that I'm about to sell and it is over an inch thicker than the 328 when sitting on the table.

I don't know, but I bet they would use the same prop on the Barefoot Nautiques, the BBC would spin it hard enough to get over 50. I got the holeshot I was looking for and that was my primary concern since we rarely see speeds over 30.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 6:17am
TX Foilhead, your Nautique has the same engine and probably the same tranny.
I still have to check my prop and tranny.

The current prop is (I guess) the original 3 blade. It does about 45 miles (on the gauges) @ 5000rpm. So that's the same speed as yours.
'92 BFN
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 10:16am
When I emailed acme Bill told me a 380 (13.5x17.5) but I dont think I could turn it and I dont know how thin or thick it is. That 328 sounds good and if you are both running 45 and the acme turns 800 less rpm its all the better.
Brian
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 3:57pm

While you are at it you should add a set of these! Sound good and make it alot easier to service the front of motor too.
Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 5:07pm
My factory tach reads little bit higher than my Perfect Pass, I set the speedo's originally with a hand held GPS at 24 mph. My original top speed runs were 49mph @ about 5000 rpm's, when I put the 328 on everything read almost exactly the same as Acme said it would. My new numbers are from the Perfect Pass, the original gauges still read about the same. I don't think I've lost anything, I am just able to measure it more accurately now. The prop that was on the boat 14 x 16, it has a 95 stamped on it so I don't know if it is original or not. I might put it back on this winter and make a few runs to see what it does according to the new gauges.

I have been impressed with the fuel usage, I pulled an event outside of Fort Worth about a month ago and the boat used between 3 and 4 gallons an hour. I haven't quite been able to dial in the KDW on the Perfect Pass to get it to stick speeds 20 and lower with a full load of people so I could use a few more RPM's at slow speeds. We've found that switching to rpm mode take care of that though.

As for he through hull, I really have gotten to like the quite ride outside the boat, now if I had a BBC in there, then I would want to let everyone know about it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 7:10am
Checked Acme. #328 is the one and only.
Ordered one at Delta using the CCF coupon.

Only downside is that I have to wait for about 6 months to test it.
Thanks for your help, guys.
'92 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 11:58pm
I got a tip from someone the other day that I thought should be on this thread for future reference. Just something to think about kinda like the drippless packing or other conversions that are nice if you have the opportunity.

If you have to replace the driveshaft on an Excel, get it an inch shorter and then you can run whatever prop you want instead of having limited choices because of the rudder clearance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2009 at 8:04am
A shorter driveshaft seems like a clever option.
Is it also possible to shorten an original shaft?

Got my new Acme prop from Delta this week.
Looks very nice. Can't wait to try it.
'92 BFN
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2009 at 12:45pm
Yes you can shorten,I'm guessing these have a single taper shaft. I have shortened using a grinder-cutoff wheel, grind taper for keyway up shaft for the amount you cutoff, then grind new sideways slots (flats) for the screws.
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic