Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Repower

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
chuck waimon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck waimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repower
    Posted: October-14-2009 at 6:23pm
I have a 1987 Barefoot Nautique Dominique- I want to do a complete repower and wanted to gain an understanding of whether the recommendation that I have been given to retro fit with a Vortec will wb the right move.
CWaimon
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 6:26pm
It was originally a reverse rotation engine, either 351w or 454 chevy. If the vortec proposed is not reverse rotation that will be a significant detriment to the value. What engine do you currently have and what is wrong with it?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck waimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 7:10pm
Thanks so much for the reply- it came with a 351W not sure if it is a reverse rotation- 2 cracked exhaust manifolds, wiring harness/breakers are shot- transmission seems fine- if not the vortec what do you think? will the vortec hurt performance?
CWaimon
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:10pm
Hurt? you'll need a crash helmet, and pilots license
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 9:15pm
If its the original engine it is reverse rotation and turns a RH propellor through a borg warner 1:1 transmission. It is desirable to keep that set up, although you could switch the engine to a vortec standard automotive rotation chevy engine but that would cost you as much as the new manifolds and wiring harness just for the different engine mounts, bellhousing, and new prop required just to run the vortec engine. That is before you pay for the new engine including all accessories, and you will end up with the less desirable rotation.

I would fix or rebuild/upgrade then engine you have in the boat unless it is a complete and total loss. But there are a lot of factors at play, where are you located, who is going to do the work, what are you going to use the boat for, what is the condition of the engine besides the manifolds/wiring, etc etc.. give details post some pictures and I am sure we can give you some options.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2009 at 9:58pm
Why are the breakers and wire harness shot? Really?
Clean up a couple grounds, and replace your exhaust manifolds and it sounds like you are back in business.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2009 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Hurt? you'll need a crash helmet, and pilots license

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2009 at 12:42pm
62, thats like saying will Pamala Anderson hurt you lol
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck waimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2009 at 6:52pm
Joe In NY and WakeSlayer thanks for the reply. At this point all I know is that the exhaust manifolds are cracked- they were speing water. The boat would just stop and the ignition breaker pop when intially running. Once the boat was warm it wold stop doing this. The boat is now at Doug Russell Marine. We run the boat on a samll lake in Ct Lake Waramung. I am in the midst of getting an all in quote including motor, transmission, wiring harness, cable prop and a new trailer. Any other input would be greatly appreciated. I will hopefully be able to post pictures in a couple of weeks.
CWaimon
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2009 at 11:50pm
There are some nice used boats out there for sale
Brian
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by chuck waimon chuck waimon wrote:

We run the boat on a samll lake in Ct Lake Waramung.

Chuck, youre right down the road from me. My family has a place on Tyler in Goshen.

Im usually back in CT on the weekends- maybe I can come take a look at what youve got and we can discuss options. Shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck waimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 12:40pm
Will do and thanks
CWaimon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic