Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What model wood correct craft do I have?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
toydude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What model wood correct craft do I have?
    Posted: October-15-2009 at 12:09am
I recently purchased a correct craft wood boat but can not find others like it to know what it is for sure. It looks like a late 50's Atom Skier with fins like a 50's Cadillac. It is about 15' in length with a flat Gray Marine 6 cylinder engine and double updraft carbs. What is throwing me off is that all the pictures of Atom Skiers that i found appear to be plywood boats, and this has a mahogany planked hull with a stain and varnish finish, and the deck has the small plank look with the caulk lines.The fins are painted white. The side decks mahogany plywood. I am wondering if someone planked this boat at some point in its life? The dash looks to have been replaced, so I will also be looking for pictures of the original along with the correct guages to restore to original. I will try to post a couple of pics soon, but would be interested in some input as to what it is, and where identifier numbers might be found.
Thanks!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 12:53am
You mean like this?

(58 Starflite)

Pete (pbrainard...) will jump in here soon, he is our resident expert on the old wood boats. I believe I have seen him write tho, that despite most CCs being plywood, the "deluxe" versions were planked. He will jump in an let you know.

Have you found the reference section of this site yet. Virtually all the old brochures are there. Take a look. There is an ok but not great picture of the starflite.
toydude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 1:16am
Thats It!! I just found the brochure section and was figuring out what it was. It looks like they were built in 57 and 58, but there is no 59 brochure to know if it could be a 59. Can you tell me anything more?? Are these rare as far as Correct Crafts go? Mine is in really good shape, but I will need to find some better reference on the dash, guagesand metal trim work. Mine has a poorly done bow cutwater added, but this pic looks like they did not have a cutwater. Thanks for your help!
Adam
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 1:28am
I really cant help you with the details. Pete will be on bright and early in the morning and will be able to give you additional insights.
toydude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 1:41am
Thanks for your help. I am excited to learn more about this boat as I could only find one on the net and the restoration company claimed it to be rare? This boat is 98% complete and in awesome condition for restoration. I also have a Chris, and a Century and know more about these, but this is my first CC. It doent matter to me what it is because I purchased it based on the fact that I liked it and wanted to restore it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 10:16am
Larry was right on the money!!

A exact lenght will comfirm the model but you have a Starflight. A 16' and a 18' were available in the late 50's. They were planked at the factory. What may be misleading to you owning other wood boats is Correct Craft and Garwood were the only two manufacurers who double planked their hull sides. On some hulls, Correct Craft would made the basic inexpensive ply boat but then "upgrade" it to a high end model by planking over it!

Yes, what you have is rare. Not many made because the buyer with some money to spend on a higher end boat back then would typically go with something like a Chris. The plywood Correct Crafts sold alot better but they were pretty much "through aways" meaning they were cheap enough to run till they died and then put them on the burn pile! Consequently, not many plys around ether!!

Fill us in with some more info like what's your name!! We're not trying to pry but I feel you'll find most here like to refer to each other by first names. I looked in you profile hoping to find your name and then look you up in the ACBS directory. Are you a member?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 10:21am
EDIT: Is that Ralph sitting in the Starflight!!! If so, it's a cool picture of him in the earlier days!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
toydude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 12:41pm
Good Morning and thanks for the info.

To answer your question, my name (or at least what people call me ) is AJ. My kids call me dad, and my wife calls me an ass for buying old wood boats, antique fire trucks, and cars. You get the idea!! My occupation is in the marine industry and I have been involved in all aspects of the business from sales to service. My passion are old mahoganies. They are works of art to me, much like some people put pics on their walls

I did some measuring this morning, and it is indeed the 16' Star Flight. From what I could tell, it was only made in 1957, and 1958. Is there a common place that the boat would have any identifier numbers. Are there any places to get archive photos, or more info. With my Chris Craft, there is the mariners museum with complete archives, etc. Does something like this exist for correct craft?

The wood on this boat is exceptionally good. I would like to restore it to original, but need to find out some more about it. For example, the metal trim work around the fins looks to have been modified as it doesnt fit cleanly and flow from one peice to the next. It would be good to find one like it to take pics, or more info.

Again, thanks for all the help. I will try to post some pics and watch the site as time allows.

AJ
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 1:08pm
          Pete, seems like a repeat of a conversation we had with the Dart.
"The wood on this boat is exceptionally good. I would like to restore it to original, but need to find out some more about it. For example, the metal trim work around the fins looks to have been modified as it doesnt fit cleanly and flow from one peice to the next."
Glad you found and will bring the old girl back to her glory days.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 1:49pm
AJ,
You will not find that Correct Craft maintained real good records like Chris did. At best, you'll be able to get a build date, the engine number and maybe the color of the upholstery if there was a choice.

Inside the dog house is a good spot to look for the nameplate. They were about 4" square. The other place may be on one of the hull side frames. If you have the side pockets in the cockpit side trim, take a look inside them.

The "fit and finish" on the chrome at the fins doesn't surprise me. Billy (boat dr.) and I were just talking about it and agree that they were probably welded together out back in the trailer shop!!! (Correct Craft trailers are notorious for being on the crude side!!)

So, you aren't a member of the ACBS. With you boats, you should be!! Very good organization that you may want to look into. www.acbs.org Check out the chapter(s) in your area.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BOB BAILEY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOB BAILEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Larry was right on the money!!

A exact lenght will comfirm the model but you have a Starflight. A 16' and a 18' were available in the late 50's. They were planked at the factory. What may be misleading to you owning other wood boats is Correct Craft and Garwood were the only two manufacurers who double planked their hull sides. On some hulls, Correct Craft would made the basic inexpensive ply boat but then "upgrade" it to a high end model by planking over it!

Yes, what you have is rare. Not many made because the buyer with some money to spend on a higher end boat back then would typically go with something like a Chris. The plywood Correct Crafts sold alot better but they were pretty much "through aways" meaning they were cheap enough to run till they died and then put them on the burn pile! Consequently, not many plys around ether!!

Fill us in with some more info like what's your name!! We're not trying to pry but I feel you'll find most here like to refer to each other by first names. I looked in you profile hoping to find your name and then look you up in the ACBS directory. Are you a member?

BOB BAILEY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOB BAILEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 4:53pm
I have bought a 1961 Correct craft Starflight 17'6" with a graymarine 225 327 v-8 motor made by AMC. I am in the process of have a total restoration done and Man is it expensive.Mine is planked on the sides with a plywood bottom with fiberglass on it and the bottom is being replaced and refinished completely.I live in Norht Carolina and Loyll boats of Greensboro is completely restoring the boat for aboyt $18 grand. Can you send me photos of yours and I will do the same. BAILER10@NATIONWIDE.COM. Thanks Bob Bailey
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 11:39am
Originally posted by BOB BAILEY BOB BAILEY wrote:

I have bought a 1961 Correct craft Starflight 17'6" with a graymarine 225 327 v-8 motor made by AMC.

Bob, Welcome to the site!   Do you have any pics you can post of your boat? Im particularly intereseted in the engine. I have a "188" AMC 327 just about ready to go back in my 62 Higgins. Mine has twins Carter YH sidedraft carbs, Does yours have a 4bbl intake?

How much you getting done on the restoration for the money?   It is expensive, but I know guys that have spent way more than that on one.

Get some pics posted!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2018 at 8:34am
I dug this old topic up on another search I did. Does anyone know if it continued or any progress was made on this boat. I may find the gumption to start ours in the next coming year. Same as this Starflite with the 327-225 HP. I know of a couple others around but we don't see to much mention of them on the site recently.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2018 at 9:24am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

I dug this old topic up on another search I did. Does anyone know if it continued or any progress was made on this boat..

Jack,
It looks like Bob hasn't been with us for 8 years. I hate when this happens. A new member with a wood boat and then disappearing I' see if he has an email listed and give that a try.

Edit: No email listed in his profile but he did list an email in one of his posts. Trying that.

Edit: Tried BAILER10@NATIONWIDE.COM. and the email won't send. I did a general search and not the greatest info popped up. Scam????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2018 at 10:17am
Possible scam Pete but hard to figure what they are scamming for. I know Alan had a little interest in fixing up one of these but has abandoned it for now as he has a couple other projects going on. It is a big undertaking which will need my undivided attention so I need to get the 50 done first. Like many of these the value isn't worth the cost of repairs so you have got to want it bad LOL.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2018 at 11:17pm
There was an Atom with the tailfins at the Lake Dora antique boat show a few years back, but I'm pretty sure it was a plywood one.
"Art"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2018 at 8:57am
You have a good memory Art. That was mine. It is a 1960 and your right plywood. Currently for sale on this site. There's a Starflite over there in a garage that we haven't seen yet. I think the guy is putting a more current engine in it. Have a guy interested in mine for a display in North Carolina in front of his business if we can get together on it. Mine is currently in need of a carb.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2018 at 9:39am
I assume you know about the CCF 'St. John's River gathering on March 21-24? At present I don't know of any woodies coming, but hopefully 1 or 2 will show up.
"Art"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2018 at 9:59am
I know about it Art and have attended in the past. Have responded that I will probably be there this year. Perhaps the 1950 junior utility will be ready with a little luck..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic