Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Recommend Clarion, Polk, or Other 6.5" Speakers?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend Clarion, Polk, or Other 6.5" Speakers?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend Clarion, Polk, or Other 6.5" Speakers?
    Posted: October-19-2009 at 1:45am
I have a 93 closed bow ski nautique that definitely needs new speakers - old ones are torn from previous owner. There are a standard 4, 6.5" speakers in the boat.

I bought a new receiver that is a basic clarion model that outputs up to 50W per channel. Now I'm looking for speakers... I'm not looking for anything to shatter the peace on the lake, but would like it to sound very nice for the price range.

I see the local dealer carries Clarion CM1625 speakers. I've read mixed reviews. It appears that at least some on this site have had good success with them and I'm under the belief that these are considered default speakers for Correct Craft. Here is a link to what I'm talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CM1625-6-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speaker/dp/B000A3183K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Second, I saw a similarly priced Polk Model (DB651) that has some rave reviews as shown here:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

My question is whether anyone on here knows enough about speakers or has enough experience with these models to point me in a direction or tell me to look elsewhere. Based on the writeups it sounds like both would be good and are rated for marine application.

Any inputs on technical sound quality, reliability, installation, or general look and feel?
Ski Nautique 94
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 1:59am
Where is the driver's side mounted at? Pics please.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 1:59am
I'm very pleased with the Polks. Would suggest a small amp to push the four. Not for for volume, but for clarity.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 2:09pm
If you get the Polks get the MM series, i.e. Mobile monitor. I think they used to be what they called the MOMO series. I have them and I am very pleased, great sound. I have the DB on my car and IMO I won't buy them. Great sound until you start putting power. Also, weak low frequency reproduction. I am not expecting base but the sound should remain tight. Don't get me wrong, good set of speakers for my civic, but the MM series remain clear when crank them up. Just a thought. I would recommend that you go to an audio store and listen to them. I bought mine thru the internet. I did a search on bing.com, sometimes they have cash back, so in this case I got $15 back and a good deal at some website where I bought them. I think I paid $150 for a 6.5 MM serie, tweeter built in, not separate. The cool thing is that cross over of the MM connect to the woofer and tweeter separate. I think this "magic box" is what makes this speakers sound clear.
CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 10:23pm
I'm interested in all these ideas... though I'm trying to avoid putting too much money into this... not really wanting to go the route of an amp, etc. The MM polks are twice the price... on order of $200 for 4 speakers vs $100 (are these the polks you ref: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA2651-6-5-Inch-Speaker/dp/B001C3P6FI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255993823&sr=8-3).

Since I have a receiver that outputs 50W max, do you think I'd notice the difference in the speakers when you say "turn it up" or are you thinking of turning it up with an amp (ie, LOT more power)?

So far, comments are on the Polk. Does that imply that the clarion are no good? I have to admit, I think the Polk gray looks a little 'sexier' than the clarion standard white. ...but this is about sound more than look.

Driver side is mounted in the comb pad behind the driver seat.
Ski Nautique 94
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 10:44pm
Honestly I haven't heard any clarion speakers in 10+ years. IIRC they all sounded too tinny. Like a tin can phone. That being said. I have a pair of Polk 6x9's under the bow, and a pair of 6 1/2's just in front of the rear seat. I love em. No amp and 50w per channel peak from the deck, for now.
My Blue 82SOLD!
CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 11:44pm
That's helpful.

I did some more research based on these comments. It looks like Clarion is quite entry level and the Polks are for systems that have a bit more power output.

I think I'm going to go with Alpine M600 for the quality for the power level I have (RMS 2-35W). Any thoughts?
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Type-S-SPS-M600-speaker-coaxial/dp/tech-data/B000J3G6PG/ref=de_a_smtd

Ski Nautique 94
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 1:10am
In that case match the RMS for best sound. Think you would like the Polk's better, and you could always get a small amp later.
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 1:12am
i have the alpines in my '94 and they sound great.
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 2:23am
I am running the MM without amplifier and they sound great. Can't wait to see what they produce with an amp.
CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 2:33am
Ah what to do... the guy at Crutchfield says the Polk 651 is too much for a standard receiver and it won't turn on enough at low power. But several positive reviews and your thoughts on here are that it's perfectly fine. With discounts, the Polk is actually $10 cheaper at the moment than the Alpine. I'll have to sleep on this...
Ski Nautique 94
CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 2:38am
Is the lack of a more robust grill cover an issue with the Polk for skis and careless feet sliding around in a boat?
Ski Nautique 94
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 2:41am
Have not had a problem.
CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 12:05am
I have ordered the Polks. They should be here in a week... and am excited to see what they can do!
Ski Nautique 94
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 1:34am
Which one you ordered, DB or MM?
CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 3:02am
I talked to the sales guys and they said with just a receiver that the DB performs roughly the same as the MM and not worth paying more. I read the specs and it said min RMS power for DB model is 6W but for MM is 15W... which is getting into the average listening range and may have problems at low power. The DB model is on sale for only $50/pair.

Quality for the money, I went with the DB561. I certainly hope I didn't make the wrong decision or offend anyone on here... I've very much appreciated the inputs. I feel pretty confident now that even the Polk DB model is much better than anything I was previously looking at in the price point. You think I went wrong by not going one notch more to the MM? I just worried about the min power rating on those and didn't really want to spend 2-3x more.
Ski Nautique 94
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 11:04am
I have four of the polks running off a small amp in my barracuda, they sound very nice at moderate volumes
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Where is the driver's side mounted at? Pics please.

mine is mounted there just behind the morse...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 1:14am
Thank-you kapla-Sebastion. And what do you have in yours?
Head unit
Speakers
Amp
etc.????

And was it there allready or is that were you installed it?Any extra braces or was there a mounting kit?
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 1:20am
I have and old pioneer cd head unit no nothing only reads regular cd... speakers are the pioneer marine ts mr165 or so. and I have an amplifed bazzoka under the love seat.... this was prior the rebuilt.. I will have to re connoct everything again..as for the head unit change..well it will have to wait...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic