NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop spins in neutral

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop spins in neutral
    Posted: May-01-2005 at 10:22pm
Not sure if I have a problem or not.

I have owned an 82 2001 for years and would always start it in the driveway with a hose hook up at the beginning of the season in the driveway to avoid doing this at the launch ramp. The prop on my 82 never turned when the boat was in neutral.

I purchased an 86 2001 over the winter and started it this weekend. I was suprised to see the prop spinning. I was able to stop it with a broom but still was surprised to see it move. Is this normal?

I am not sure if the conditions under which I had it running had any effect. The stern was elevated due to a slop in the drive and it was pretty cold outside. I looked for a linkage adjustment and didn't find one.

Any guidance anyone can provide will be appreciated.
Brian
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 2:10am
Brian,
This is somewhat common with this type inboard transmission. A good percentage of those I've seen do this, and will then typically do it when in the water as well, and cause the boat to walk or move forward in neutral. As you noticed it can be stopped rather easily and when normal, you can grab the shaft with your hand and stop it. When launched, check to see if you have any water leaking in thru your stuffing box/thru-hull fitting and if so, tightening this will often serve the purpose of stopping the leak and stopping the neutral movement.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 8:56am
It sounds like you have excellent engine/shaft alignment, providing very little resistance on your shaft. ...OR you might have a worn out strut bushing. But if everything is aligned properly, a little bit of spin is OK.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 3:30pm
Thanks for the response. I will let you know how it acts when I put in the water.
Brian
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 3:39pm
Just to satisfy my own nervous nature, how do you determine if the strut bushing is bad?
Brian
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 6:42pm
Carefully grab the prop and feel for movement. If any movement, replace. Visual inspection works too. Main reason to respond here is to let you know that my friends '86 2001 does the same thing. We both thought it highly unusual and he has lived with it for years now. Yes, the boat sort of creeps when in nuetral, but one person can hold her still against a dock.
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 7:06pm
I have a very slight movement, not visible but you can hear it. When you say movement is it any movement?

How big of a job is it to replace. Is is cheaper to buy the tools and do it yourself or just have a marina handle the job?
Brian
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 12:54pm
No, you should not be able to move the shaft n the bearing. If you can, then replace the bearing. I suggest you have a prop shop do the work...they have the tools and expertise. If you want to do it, you will need to purchase a tool that pulls the old out and the new in. You will need to look for a set screw and remove it first. Most of the time, the set screw is ground off flush and will need to be drilled out and re-tapped.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 2:34pm
Brian, You might want to check out this other thread: Strut Bushing
There should be a very slight amount of movement if your engine and shaft are aligned EXACTLY right.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2005 at 10:08pm
It could be that your transmission is overfilled slighltly. That will cause the problem that you are describing.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2005 at 3:00pm
While mine has always "creeped" while in netural, it did "stay in forward" once...Along with being overfull, if trans has any water in it, like cooler leaking, or (in my case) water came in though vent in top of trans (long story), It'll spin like you describe. What a pain, I flushed the cooler & lines, washed the trans out with some diesel fuel but finely got it all out!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2005 at 3:01pm
As well, you don't want shaft spinning while boat is out of the water, it'll burn the strut bushing rapid-o As the bushing depends on lake water to keep it cool
NO LONGER A MEMBER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic