Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Riviera 20'

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
topekaboatworks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topekaboatworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 Riviera 20'
    Posted: October-26-2009 at 5:41am
This is my 68' CC Riviera it came with pre-cut marine plywood floor panels, new cover, good running 426, new vinyl, etc. This boat will have a complete restoration as all my boats I own go through.

Enjoy!!!
1968 Correct Craft Riviera
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 10:14am
nice find, In j-bears neighborhood those boats would be washing machines

426 Wedge?
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 11:38am
Originally posted by topekaboatworks topekaboatworks wrote:

it came with pre-cut marine plywood floor panels, This boat will have a complete restoration as all my boats I own go through.

Chris,
Was the PO just planing on laying down a new floor? Looks like you will need to do stringers first. Have you had a change to do any checking to see what condition they are in?

You mentioned vinyl coming with the purchase. Is it for the floor? It can be tough to find close to the original pattern but is commercial vinyl wall covering.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topekaboatworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by topekaboatworks topekaboatworks wrote:

it came with pre-cut marine plywood floor panels, This boat will have a complete restoration as all my boats I own go through.

Chris,
Was the PO just planing on laying down a new floor? Looks like you will need to do stringers first. Have you had a change to do any checking to see what condition they are in?

You mentioned vinyl coming with the purchase. Is it for the floor? It can be tough to find close to the original pattern but is commercial vinyl wall covering.

The floor isn't in too bad of condition and the guy PO was just going to lay a new floor. Since I'm doing a complete restoration, the motor is coming out along with the floor and stringers. As to the vinyl, from what I could tell on the brochure, it looked to be carpet they used. If I'm wrong, let me know as this is my first CC.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 1:23pm
Chris,
With the exception of the Mustang with a fiberglass floor pan, the 60's CC's had the vinyl wall covering on the floors. It wasn't untill the early 70's when CC started putting in carpet and that was the turf style "Astro Turf" in different colors.

You can go into the sites reference section and see the picture of the 68 Riviera. The red flooring you see is vinyl over plywood. It shouldn't be too hard to find in a red if you look at the commercial vinyl wall coverings still available.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 1:26pm
What does the covenant state for your neighborhood? No more then 10 project boats per lot?

Golden Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topekaboatworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Waldo Waldo wrote:

What does the covenant state for your neighborhood? No more then 10 project boats per lot?

Golden Boy

My neighborhood is in the county, so their are no regulations plus my house is my business as well, plus a couple of storage units.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 2:51pm
426 wedge?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 3:05pm
Nice filter on the pressure side of the fuel system!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topekaboatworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 5:55pm
Is their 2 water intakes on the engine. I noticed that there are 2 hoses from from inlets on the hull? I know my brother's tige' has one, but again it's newer.

From what I was told it was a Wedge, but from research all I know is that it's just a 426, does that sound right?

Sounds good on the vinyl floor covering. Is their anything else you guys can tell me about this model or about CC in general that I will need to know along the way?

Thanks for all the help so far. I started the motor last night, it sounded good, idled nice, of course it was in water.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 6:13pm
it even fires up!!! nice deal you got there!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 6:26pm
Chris,
Yes, typically Chryslers had a little different cooling system than the normal. One of the hoses may be "blend" water which puts warm water back into the freash water. Go to the sites reference section and look up the Chrysler engine manual. In it are the schematics for the cooling systems. You'll get a idea of how it was plumbed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topekaboatworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 6:49pm
Sounds Good, I ordered a manual and now just waiting on it.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

426 wedge?

Eric, what part of 426 "Wedge" don't you understand? You must broaden your bowtie-exclusive background. But since you asked, and Topeka is simply quoting what he was correctly told, I'll volunteer that the 426 Wedge was built prior to the Hemi, and used in autos +/- '63-'65, but in boating applications for several more years even up thru the first few years of the 440's intro. Check this for some quick neat history:     http://maxwedge.com/orangemonster/orangemonster.php

Whenever you see a 290hp Chrysler big block, it's more than likely gonna be a 426. It also came in 310,325-8V, and 415hp8V versions in marine form. Heck, that's in the Chrylser brochure in the REF SECTION as Pete mentioned, and with some nice pics. (Note: one pic in brochure is labeled wrong as 413 instead of 426. 413 was 280hp per the written specs plus I happen to still have one, and it's still needing a home.)

EDIT: And Chris, I forgot to mention in my excitement to razz on Eric, that the boat is really neat! A red hull AND a big Mopar make it all the nicer.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 10:38pm
question asked, question answered, well I knew for sure it wasnt a 426 hemi. I beleve some of those wedges fetch some doe. thanks Reid. I thought i was going to have to borrow your bi-focals Mr 50 plus 1
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 12:24am
The 290 gold commando is the entry level 426 wedge and anything labeled a lion would be a hp version with examples up into the 400+.I have personaly never seen anything higher than the 290 so I assume they are rare.If and when I do a resto it will be a wedge boat.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 12:44am
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

The 290 gold commando is the entry level 426 wedge and anything labeled a lion would be a hp version with examples up into the 400+.I have personaly never seen anything higher than the 290 so I assume they are rare.If and when I do a resto it will be a wedge boat.

I keep trying to talk my neighbor into selling this one to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 2:37am
That would be a gold lion and a rare one at that.If you look real close you can see the lion on the valve cover sticker.

Chris,The front water intake is engine and the rear would be manifolds.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 3:21am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

nice find, In j-bears neighborhood those boats would be washing machines

We got rules here in the land of early bird specials. But if one did not know better they would swear that picture was taken in beautiful brunstucky. No rules there on how to store all your x-tra vehicles.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topekaboatworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 4:17am
I talked to my car guy and he said told how to find if it was a hemi, which we all know it's not. He did say that regardless that engine should be worth some nice Benjamin's, so that's a good.

Tomorrow will be a lake test just to see how well it performs before I tear into it. Should be interesting since I'm using the good ole milk carton seat deal.

I guess I should ask is the 426 a good engine? I assume it is.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 10:24am
keep at it Riley, one of these days he will say "you know that engine",
those engines are sought after, like the 427 side oilers. im working on a guy with 2 427 Chevy's...he is weakening ......and not working,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2009 at 12:16pm
Chris,the 426 wedge is about the same as a 440 wedge.Its a big block chrysler.In realty the 8:1 engine you have should last forever where as a gold lion with 11:1 and dual four barrels has numbered days.Its kind of like the pcm 240 horse 351, compression is so low the engine never takes any wear.Other than that the timing chain being starved for oil but even then it takes many hours to wear.if the engine doesn't smoke,knock,click,or have low oil pressure its pretty much a bullet.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 12:29am
Chris,

Good to see a Jayhawker coming on board. What lake do you frequent over there in that flat land?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topekaboatworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 7:31am
Perry, If Not there, I'm usually at Table Rock.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I can't figure out why that extra carb gives it such a "wow" affect to me, but it certainly does. Even though the engine is rather rough looking otherwise, I can't stop looking at it. It conjures up a similar but sad analogy to the attraction guys have viewing other original endowments or enhancements.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 11:22am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I can't figure out why that extra carb gives it such a "wow" affect to me, but it certainly does. Even though the engine is rather rough looking otherwise, I can't stop looking at it. It conjures up a similar but sad analogy to the attraction guys have viewing other original endowments or enhancements.

I can't get to my house without driving by it. If it comes up for sale, and it may, I will pass the word. It is sitting in a fairly nice '63 Coronado that has had the bottom removed for probably 2 years now. It has recently been moved outdoors... He're another pic for ya.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Funny you should say that,I have a neighbor that restores old boat engines and puts them on display in his garage.He's got some pretty cool ones like old cadillacs and hemi's.I guess he just looks at them alot like he does his boats.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 7:29pm
I don't personally feel there's anything unusual about that. I'll bet I'd like him.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 8:23pm
Jeffery Dahmer did similar things
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 1:42pm
Chris, 3 days later and youre selling the boat? What happened to the restoration you were planning?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/1442458775.html

Post it here first- if the price is right, someone here may be interested!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic