NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wing Windows

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wing Windows
    Posted: November-04-2009 at 11:53am
Dave, as Marty noted, I've got my original staff from my Classic and would volunteer it for service in the process of creating a new one(s) if need be. I've actually never taken my boat out with it in place for fear of losing it as others mentioned.

-Windwingless in Carolina     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

P-CLASSIC 1963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-CLASSIC 1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 1:54pm
After eight years of messing with the chrome flag staff and worrying about loosing it in the lake, I deceided to tap out the bottom shaft and thru bolt it. I removed the flat head screw holding the bowlight together and used a smaller SS machine screw & washer mounting from the bottom. Did find I needed some blue locktite as the flag causes vibration.

So far so good.

Would love to have some wing vents for my 63!
Boats are like family each with its own personality.

63 Plastic Classic (25th Ann PCM 351 GT-40 MPI)
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Terp Terp wrote:

Mojo, when I get home later this week I'll try to get what you need for specs on the flagstaff if you like. Other than weight and dimensions, any specifics that would be helpful?

Terp,
Sounds good, all I really need is some good digital pictures of the item, base dimensions and the specific weight. Let me know if there is any specific area you can see a "parting line" where the two halves of the tool come together to make the part. These parts were originally made in Brass and or Zinc die cast. Aluminum again will not work because of the chrome finish specs. Aluminum however could work if you all would accept a polished surface without any chrome????
Drop me a line: d.dorsen@worldnet.att.net I'd be more than happy to check into it from a number of different options and manufacturing methods..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 11:53am
You are both open to any shots HW fires at yall. I make sure of my wording anytime I post , best to be safe with this crew.........Billy
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 11:23am
Brrrr. I mean, I will try that.

I was worried about damaging the light if I pushed very hard. I may need a smaller o-ring so it stretches thinner. I did try a couple different sizes.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 8:51am
Mike,
Just dip the end in the lake. Water is enough so the "O" ring will slide into the socket easier.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 11:09pm
Terp, if you have any good book stores near you look for Classics Monthly . The October issue of this English car magazine goes into the method of sand casting. Quite interesting reading but done in a way that it's easy for someone like us to understand. Things like material shrinkage during cooling and just plain experence are gone into but it's not very technical. Messing around for over 25 years with British cars and bikes it's really amazing the cottage industry they have in place and even sometimes the original manufacturer is still in operation.
Here's some other info-metal casting
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 11:06pm
Mojo, when I get home later this week I'll try to get what you need for specs on the flagstaff if you like. Other than weight and dimensions, any specifics that would be helpful?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 8:44pm
Pete,   do you have a preferred method of moistening? silicon? spit?

Lewy, I edited my previous one a couple of times, to make sure I wasn't a target.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 8:16pm
Pete I think you need to edit that post quick before Hollywood starts quoting from it.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 8:12pm
I just changed out the "O" ring last spring on my 64. Yeh, it's scary knowing that's the only thing that holds it in but at least it's tighter than the wood flag staffs! You need to moisten it before it will go in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 7:48pm
I tried fitting an o-ring on the flagstaff and it would not go in the light. Tried a few different ones. When I actually use the staff, I put a zip tie to the vent. If that thing bounced out into the lake I would die.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 7:39pm
Mojo--Dave, Believe me if I had a bow light staff, I would most definetly let you borrow it through this off-season to see what you could come up with. I'd be happy with a cardboard one chromed out if it would hold up.It justs has to hold up .I wouldn't care what it's made out of. But you'd have to talk to Terp-- about the dimensions,weight,etc, real good close up pics or Wakeslayer has one--also Santa has one hanging up in his workshop(garage) at the lake. ReidP I'm sure would let you borrow it to see what you could conjur up!. Put me on the list for the 1st one!!!The one I won the other week like I said in my post,I need to turn it down for my 1/2" hole. Not unless you wanted to borrow that one. You could go out on your own and slim it down,make the holes in it to lighten it up and then the real kicker is the mounting shaft. I still can't believe that the only thing that holds it in the bow light is an 'o'ring. It has a little groove machined in it with the 'o'ring in it and you just push it in the top of the bow light and it stays! E-mail me directly if you want me to send you the one I won (pic in above post) and it'll be on it's way. Thanks,Marty Mabe
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 6:56pm
If I can get my hands on the tooling, I could get this and many other parts made affordably. From scratch is just not gonna happen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 6:28pm
I had a friends Dad quote me on windshield brackets. If I bought ten sets, they would cost around $310 each. Machined out of aluminum. Only one member replied about a post I put up. it makes it nearly impossible to do. The first set was going to be something like $600-800.
Just silly. I really need a set, but am not willing to pony up $2700 in brackets to get one set. I imagine they would sell at some point, but.....
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 6:03pm
Yep, sorry HW, I didn't invent the concept, greedy American's did
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

I can have the tooling and part cost quoted with one of our foundries in Taiwan.

You're killing me Moj'...

Why do we love our Correct Crafts, because they are an assembled mass of Asian parts?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 5:00pm
Marty,
Can you give me some basic dimensions and weight of the light staff. I'm curious what I can come up with..

And Pete's right, even out of aluminum, the post cast finishing work would be brutal. That's why all the chrome work we have contracted to make is cast out of zinc. It plates well, but the material is a lot more expensive..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The die cast CC hull tags would be easier!!!

This is what I thought might be in demand the most. Not sure why I thought that but I did. In regards to this issue, I was thinking more along the lines of the "less complex" pieces. Could a flagstaff or step plate frame not be die cast? (seriously because I honestly don't know). I could see a bow light being very complex and expensive, not even considering replicating the globes. Not to mention most guys seem to have the light but not the staff.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 1:19pm
Marty,
Dave is correct that the tooling cost and a short run of 10 pieces would kill you. Die casting is out of the picture even though it's a easy process. Even with CMM and CNC I feel you'd end up with bow lights costing better than $1000 each!!

Short run prototyping really isn't that cheap. Using a CMM thousands of coordinates would be needed due to the complex curvature. After CNC machining (probably aluminum) you would end up with tons of machining marks so now there's hand labor in buffing/polishing. We haven't even got to plating yet!

The die cast CC hull tags would be easier!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 12:29pm
Terp,
The problem is just that "low demand".. These are zinc die cast parts. Not only is the cast tooling expensive, so would be a casting run in the "10's" of pieces.. Might be able to get them done with forging and machining for less.. Depends on the material used...

Maybe Pete knows what material was used.. With one part measured with a CMM machine, I can have the tooling and part cost quoted with one of our foundries in Taiwan. I would need a part, or the dimensions and net weight of the part...

Might be able to pop these out on a small volume base. It's worth asking anyway.. Who wants to draw one of these things up. ???

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 10:04pm
Wing Window Brackets

I think these would work on a CC. Terp,I think I typed in boat hardware.

Didn't see these.
Windshield Brackets
66 Skylark
93 SN
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 7:28pm
Great find Marty! Glad you won them. Out of curiosity, what key word were you searching E-bay for when you came across those?

I did get that Nautalloy light & staff after the original winner backed out. It is beautiful. Not sure what the deal was w/ the original winner. Maybe I was "bidding" against the seller, who knows. I don't think much about it. After reading your post, I made the assumption you quit bidding when it hit $250. I shouldn't have assumed and if I was wrong, you have my apologies. One thing I won't do (at least intentionally) is try to beat another CCF member out of a sale or purchase. I will keep an eye out for the staff for you.

You know, this brings up a thought that crosses my mind occasionally and that is the idea of recreating some of these more popular and hard to find pieces. I know the demand is low, but would it really be all that difficult? I have no idea what is exactly involved in the casting process but a casual conversation I had w/ a fellow a few weeks back led me to believe that the process wasn't overly expensive or difficult to undertake.   

I did get your e-mail this afternoon Marty. Thanks for the lead on MWCC. I'll check on that.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 6:20pm
Wake-Slayer, Mike the OE light was the one that sold on e-bay, and this is my light on the ole 66. So it's OE.Just still looking for a staff!

66 Skylark
93 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 1:38pm
Pete, That Nautalloy light and staff was beautiful. How far off is that light from what Marty already has his Skylark? Maybe not original but for me, I would have to file that one as cool enough to bend the rules a little.    Just a little?
What light should be on the Skylark. I have an extra like what is on both the Pony and the SN. It does have a little ding out of it, but...

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Yeah. Didn't the original bidder back out? I wonder what his reasons for was. It must have been one of those 'snipers' just running up the bids. I hate those guys!

I thought, but I'm not sure, that the original bidder was overseas and the seller had stated he would only ship here
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 9:48am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Why not just put the whole assembly on your Skylark?

Come on Mike!! I get someone to think original and then you suggest this?

Marty,
Keep up with the original philosophy and keep looking.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 2:39am
Yeah. Didn't the original bidder back out? I wonder what his reasons for was. It must have been one of those 'snipers' just running up the bids. I hate those guys!
66 Skylark
93 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 2:26am
Sorry, I thought you had won the new Nautalloy light and staff. My mistake. It was Terp, what a lucky score that was.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2009 at 2:17am
This was the staff I won.

It's close to this but still not OE. Where's Pete when you need him!
66 Skylark
93 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic