Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 sn 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 sn 2001
    Posted: November-01-2009 at 12:22pm
Looking for pictures of the 1987 2001, They need to be in reference to OEM. I'm re flooring and stringing in the spring. My boat was done once before and I don't want to be forced into the previous errors. Does anyone have pictures showing the factory stringer placement? I did read through the "Pumpkin Patch" post but that was a BFN. Any OEM pics of any part of your boat would be much appreciated. I've also noticed a lot of other things that seemed out of place that I would like to address. I agree with Original but with 20+ years of engineering and technology advances, why not harness the power? James Bond would even be amazed when I'm done.
87' 2001
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 12:52pm
82 through 88 had the same stringer layout with the 89 only differing in the through hull area so any pics of a 2001 will show you what you need.Even though there are a lot of original type people on this site most will tell you the 2001 can stand some improvements.If I where you I would look through the threads and develop a game plan to fit your specific needs.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 10:57pm
I would try replace the wood and use some composites for stringers....just look around here with the search engine..lots of info...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 11:42pm
You definitely want to Bill's "Skibum" rebuild of his 87 SN. Do a search around this website but better yet check Bill's Website
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 11:44pm
I don't see a problem putting wood back in, JUST DON'T PUT THAT FOAM CRAP BACK IN!!!!!
Heres my '85 project I'm about to try to finish it up soon.(got side tracked with a new garage).
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13341&KW=and+so+it+begins&PID=153268&title=span-classhighlightand-span-span-classhighlightso-span-span-classhighlightit-span-span-classhighlightbegins-span#153268

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 12:44pm
believe me I'v searched, but haven't found completely what I'm looking for. Gun do you have any more pics of the original stringer layout, and Anthony thanks for the link. I was searching for that site but coming up dead. Need Picture Of Original Stringer Layout and Design All Others Need Not Apply
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 1:03pm
What in the hell are you talking about?The post^^^ clearly shows a factory install along with hundreds of other threads on this forum.Not to mention when you take your boat apart your going to have a original layout in your lap.Maybe explain better what your looking for and people will post it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 1:11pm
http://www.correctcraftboats.com/pnuploads/page04_186.jpg
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 1:15pm
your losing your form and your function may follow, My boat is not original it was hap-hazzardly redone in 2005. Yes there is a lot of pictures but not ones that show all the angles i'm looking for. My post clearly states that I'm looking for pictures, not your page wasting comments and attitude. I really think this site needs to purge it's posts of useless comments. I'm not going to log 40 hours of search for the 6 or so pics I need. So do me any other person looking for info a favor, Delete your old posts that are irrelevant to the post.
87' 2001
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 2:16pm
Yooper:

I don't think you understand how the site runs. This site is not run or funded by Correct Craft. Keith doesn't have access to old Correct Craft blueprints or plans and is not the keeper of Correct Craft archives. The folks who post here are not paid by CC. They try to help other folks who own Correct Crafts by sharing their collected knowledge and reference information they have individually amassed. It isn't a paid support website.

The folks here will try to help as best they can. But at CCFan, just as in life, there are great friends, helpful people, people who ramble, people who don't stay on task and people who are frustrated. Just hang tough... sounds like you have time to prepare. This site will be your best shot at getting it right.

Look forward to seeing how the project comes along..... I'm going to need to do that for my CC in the future....... and I could use the insights at that time.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 2:17pm
Roger.
This link you postedhttp://www.correctcraftboats.com/pnuploads/page04_186.jpg is the brochure showing the composite stringer system so it's not representative of your boat.

Start cutting the floor out and we'll be able to tell how much modification the PO did to the stringers.

Sorry you aren't finding some of the posts in the threads relevent to your needs. Just skip over them!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 2:30pm
For some reason I cant post pictures right now, but I have a floor blueprint for the 2001's that I copied from this site a while back. If you want to send me your email I will forward it on to you.

chris.mars@simpson.edu
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 2:32pm
This might work so you get an idea of what I'm talking about...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 4:50pm
Sorry if I offended but you came off kind of rude turning your nose up (all others need not apply)at good information that is very relavent to your boat project.There is a wealth of good information on this site weather or not you intend to use it doesn't matter because all information is good to devolop a gameplan.Tips,tricks and errors others have made can save you a huge amount of time and money.
Then you come back here and leave what you have learned for the next guy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 10:44am
Thanks storm, now I just need a view of each stringer from the side.
P.S. I'm done making personal comments on here, let's keep it less garbled for easier reference. Email is rogeresullivan@yahoo.com

thank you
87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 11:07am
On page two of my rebuild there is a pic of the original main and secondary stringers on the saw horses.
I still have the originals and can take better pics if you need them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 11:18am
I'm looking for the original layout so I can possibly build it out of the newer stringer design (fiberglass only). The engineering and placement of the old wood stringers is boat specific for our 2001's. I don't want to stray away from it like the previous owner has. I need to keep the framing of the hull the same but want to do this out of all fiberglass or carbon. My boat is in storage so I have no way too pull floor to let you see what i'm talking about. All I can tell you is they used a 3/4 ply for the whole floor that's de-laminating, the shaft cover support that goes stringer to stringer has been obsoleted. Now If they used 3/4 and kept the floor at the same height my stringers are now 3/4 shorter than original. My Floor around the dog house is soft cause it over hangs the stringer with no support. My shaft cover doesn't sit on the stringers which it should. Between the main and secondary the space is equal and empty from the transom up in to the floor below the dash. Another pet peeve is the low spot around the bilge that holds a gallon or so of water. So you see with out pulling the floor I know my stringer design and layout are not original. I'm looking for original pictures so when I rebuild I can address these issues.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 12:11pm
Maybe pay somebody to freight you an original.There the same side to side so you would only need one main and one floor.If you cut them in half shipping would not be that bad.I know like most I saved mine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 12:49pm
"but want to do this out of all fiberglass or carbon" - Daytrip already did a thread on how he made his out of glass

"Now If they used 3/4 and kept the floor at the same height my stringers are now 3/4 shorter than original." - My guess is that they did not lower the stringers (that would be a major PITA) but instead just added the 3/4 on top.

"My shaft cover doesn't sit on the stringers which it should" - What does it sit on?

"Between the main and secondary the space is equal and empty from the transom up in to the floor below the dash." - Originally there is just foam in that area. (which traps water, hence the great foam debate)

"Another pet peeve is the low spot around the bilge that holds a gallon or so of water." - The drain hole/plug does sit a little higher than the rest of the bilge area due to the length of the fitting needed to be able to screw the plug into it and the extra glass to support/seal it to the hull.

Hope this helps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 10:40am
I read Daytrip's post very interesting and informational, Difference in stringer designs though. I don't remember seeing all the notches in the top of the BFN's stringers.

Could be a possibility on the 3/4 and stringers same size as original but so much is a muck that I just don't know. I have a feeling that when I pull my floor the foam inside will silly string.

My shaft cover sits on a few random wood blocks screwed into the bilge side of the stringer, On a few pics I've seen little gussets that hold the wood floor around the engine compartment, these are obsolete in mine also.

I thought that there is an erea that is solid with wood between the stringers near the engine. There's no wood there?

Another thing is that I believe you should be able to access the fasteners for the swim deck from in the boat. My ply floor hides my two outer mounts where I've seen on others that there's is open enough to see and work on.
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 10:55am
Has anyone ever weighed a stripped down hull?
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 11:01am
Is there such a thing as structural foam?
87' 2001
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 11:50am
yes there are different density foams, some for supposed floatation and some for structure, but in the case of CC's its more for flotation, these Nascar boys should chime in cause i think they use some type of foam on the turns nowadays
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 6:12pm
Thanks Eric, Now I'm trying to figure how much glass it would take to get up to the same properties of Doug Fir.
87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 7:04pm
Roger,
Commercially available polyurethane foams are typically 2,4 and 6lb. per cu. ft. Beyond that then you need a mold that will withstand the pressure of overfilling the cavity. By overfilling and not allowing the foam to expand then you increase the density. Things like imitation wood cabinet doors/drawer fronts and imitation wood grain toilet seats are made with the process. I don't know if there are any specs out there to help with the structural calculations.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Commercially available polyurethane foams are typically 2,4 and 6lb. per cu. ft. Beyond that then you need a mold that will withstand the pressure of overfilling the cavity.

Pete, just FYI- US Composites sells 2,3,4,8 and 16 lb foam kits. I think 4 lb and above are considered to be "structural".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 7:37pm
Tim,
Thanks. Good to know the higher densities are available. I need to tune myself in to U.S. Composites more!!

Roger,
I don't know if this would be a good structual comparison or not but weigh a piece of fir and see if you can get a weight per cu. in. Then compare it the the foam weights per cu. in. If you went with the plan of filling the inside of your fiberglass stringers with the foam, I'd then go with a denser foam because I don't feel it would be as strong as the fir.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 7:40pm
May be worth a look at epoxy foam top one comes in at 600kg which works out around 37lb in a open mould.

Will be using it on SN number 2

Epoxy Foam
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 8:11pm
If you seal up a new wood stringer with CPES, won't it pretty much outlast it's owner? Or at least the repairer! Keep it simple!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 8:44pm
I was suprised to see that by weight 16lb vs. 2lb the flotation loss is only 1/4, 60 lbs flotation per ft3 vs. 46? per ft3 for the 16#
87' 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic