Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 sn 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If you seal up a new wood stringer with CPES, won't it pretty much outlast it's owner? Or at least the repairer! Keep it simple!

Until you put a fastener into it.
If I wanted simple i would learn to ride behind a Zodiak
I try to leave everything better than I found it.
87' 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by YooperSully YooperSully wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If you seal up a new wood stringer with CPES, won't it pretty much outlast it's owner? Or at least the repairer! Keep it simple!

Until you put a fastener into it.
If I wanted simple i would learn to ride behind a Zodiak
I try to leave everything better than I found it.

Rodger,
If you investigate by reading other threads, you'll find that the preferred method of joining all the wood is with thickened epoxy. No fasteners. This isn't a deck you're building!!    

You also may find this book interesting reading gougeon brothers on boat construction

If a fastener must be used, then the hole is CPES'd, epoxied and then a final 5200 seal. The Gougeon boys even take it a step farther by boring a oversize hole, filling it with epoxy/high strength filler and drilling and tapping it for a machine screw or bolt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 4:49am

Rodger,
If you investigate by reading other threads, you'll find that the preferred method of joining all the wood is with thickened epoxy. No fasteners. This isn't a deck you're building!!    

Good, On a thought though, Our local college majors in engineering, and they race a concrete canoe. Yeah that's right a concrete canoe. Now about 8 years ago when we were doing work at the university a professor asked if we'd cut up some of the old one's with our gas saw. These canoes were fairly light for being concrete. They were roughly about 3/8 thick over all and layed up with multiple layers of glass. So by the time our boats get rebuilt by the next owners, they might be on the forums looking at how to concrete some stringers in. link
87' 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 9:39am
Originally posted by YooperSully YooperSully wrote:

Yeah that's right a concrete canoe.

Concrete is used for yacht hulls too. The latex as well as other add mixes sure make it a versatile material. Keep in mind that the fiberglass is the major structural component. You can use just about any adhesive to hold the glass together as long as the bond is strong enough to keep the glass together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic