NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chris Craft Action Plan-NEW PICS!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 1:49pm
Pete, I'll give him a call this weekend and pick his brain. I remember reading about the upgraded cam and flywheel as well, just can't seem to find the thread anymore.

Eric, I may take you up on that offer after we discover the condition of ours.

Alan, I'll call and ask Steve about the paint. I saw the containers but cant come up with the name.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:29pm
We're now in the front of Steve's line for the winter so here's a few pics of his progress lately. I haven't called to wish him a happy Thanksgiving but he left a nice note via email I thought I'd share with everyone as it sounds like we're all looking for winter entertainment. The plan is for the boat to be done sometime this coming spring so we're extremely excited to see more progress in the next few months.

Note from Steve-
"Hi Chris, The Chris Craft is coming along nicely, just completed wooding the boat , new transom, decks and 4 planks on the starboard and port side, all book matched. Original planks on sides were cleaned, stacked, bedded and refastened with silicon bronze fasteners. Old original side planks planks will lighten up with finish sanding and light wood bleaching prior to applying the filler stain.
The next step is to send the boat to the finishing room and prep for stain and varnish. I will also lay out all the hardware to determine what is missing, I know we still need the rest of the windshield. I will also remove instruments for restore and remove the ceiling boards for refinish. Soon after will drop in engine and address interior pieces.

Have a great Thanksgiving !   Steve & Laurie , Johnson and Walker"

We also placed dibs on this trailer, thanks to Zach, which is currently at N3. Now I have an excuse to drive out to Indy and spend a few days with them in the spring. Our plan is to use it under the continent for at least a few years. We'll have to modify a bow stop I got from Marty Mabe to match the height of the Continental's rub rail but it should be a pretty decent fit for the time being.

The long range plan is to put this trailer under the 01 Sea Blue ski, painted to match, and use the tandem under the Continental. They're both in too good of shape to make any serious changes/investments at the moment so we're talking the next 3-5 years.

I really wanted to get a new BoatMate in a similar fashion as Reid did for his Mustangs (pictured below) but that's a pretty serious investment so we'll wait and determine how many road trips we take before we justify the cost.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:43pm
Chris, the boat is looking great.

Those Boatmates look great, too.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:52pm
That shop is insane. That boat looks so great in raw form like that.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 5:55pm
Wow.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

Wow.

Ditto!
Js
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

That shop is insane. That boat looks so great in raw form like that.

Agreed.

He has foliage in there for crying out loud!
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 11:32pm
I took my '56 Chris Craft to Boatmate and they built a custom trailer for me. Fantastic service and a quality product. I dealt with Owen Shelton directly and the entire process was without issue. Highly recommend the guys at Boatmate for the quality product and service.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 5:35pm
A lot has happened on this project which means I'm way behind on this thread. We picked up the finished product last week and couldn't be happier with the boat! I'll back track a bit to get everyone caught up on this project.

Last summer, we realized some windshield parts were missing along with a few other hardware pieces. Replacing the windshield would cost $7,500 without chrome and glass. Fortunately, we found another Continental which was somewhat complete, reasonably priced and fairly close to Zach in Indy. He grabbed the boat for us and we towed it home with a used 90 SN trailer purchased form N3.

Huge thanks to Zach and the guys at N3 for storing the boat which stunk up their shop for a few weeks. We found the culprit later....dead raccoon under the mess of leaves and old clothes. Not sure what we're going to do with the "Donor Boat" in the long run. It's really decayed, has been bastardized a bit and is missing some critical pieces (even prior to us robbing some parts).

Once the hardware list was complete and shipped out to the chrome plater Steve started to make some great progress on the boat.

Zoe and I visited the shop early in the year and were very pleased with his progress. Of course, we had to strop and visit Watercraft Sales. This building was full of some really neat Correct Craft's including a 71 Promo, 73 Promo, Olive Oil Barracuda and the twin to Hollywood & Quinner's Martini-que.

The ball really started rolling this spring when Steve got all his winter work out the door. Most of the interior was rebuilt and everything recovered using Gold and White.

After a few months, Steve was able to water test the boat and gave us a good report. Everything with the exception of the horn checked out and performed flawlessly. Again, another huge thanks to Zach for shipping Steve a prop.

Now onto pictures of the finished product from our visit last week.

We repurposed the 01's former trailer and will need to make some serious modifications before any long distance trips are made. I had a replica bow stop made from Zoe's 88 trailer, replaced lights, bearings and seals. Still need to adjust the bunks and the entire boat needs to move forward 6-8 inches which will require some elaborate modifications. That'll make for a nice winter project.

Overall, Dad is extremely happy and the boat is absolutely stunning. Steve and his wife Laurie do amazing work, have a world class shop and care deeply about the wood boat community. A huge thanks to Steve, Laurie and can't leave out their four legged children, Walker and Johnson. Personally, I wish we could have been more involved in the rebuild process but life and work get in the way. Just seeing the process has given me a new respect for those who can tackle these types of projects. They're a labor of love and this boat will certainly be loved on for many years to come!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 5:55pm
Looks great Chris! I had my first ride in an old Chris a few weeks ago and could not believe how smooth those old flathead six's run.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 5:55pm
Wow. Turned out amazing. Always amazes me the craftsmanship that goes into these woody restorations.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 6:13pm
Chris,
It sure looks fantastic! Yes, Steve does great work. I know your dad will and yourself will enjoy it for many years.

Bruce,
Yup, those Hercules have plenty of iron in them and lots in the flywheel too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 6:41pm
Beautiful!
Js
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
Have you gotten the engine guy lined up yet? I have the very best for the Hercules/Chris and in fact, does go up to Steve's shop in Crandon to pick up engines. Ted Cartner??

Chris,
Did Ted end up doing the engine? The last time I talked to him, he was headed up to Crandon with an engine on his trailer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
Did Ted end up doing the engine?

Yep...and I owe you a huge Thank You for leading us to Ted and Steve! Ted did an amazing job as well! Never got to meet Ted in person, but his work is amazing. Quinner actually picked up the finished motor from Ted and stored it for a while.   Thanks again, CQ!

illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 7:32pm
Looks awesome!
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 8:26pm
Absolutely gorgeous.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 9:12pm
there isnt a person that loves boats that isnt both envious and happy for you. It is the dream project for all lovers of boats. I personally see it and dream of someday having the time and space to take on such an endeavour.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 10:55pm
oh my gosh....

what else can you say?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 11:35pm
Amazing Chris. Just wow.

If you need someone to keep an eye on the promo while you're breaking her in, just say the word.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 3:23am
wow

its about time one of you Mars boys got a boat worth looking at. the rest of them are real eye-sores.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 7:19am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

wow

its about time one of you Mars boys got a boat worth looking at. the rest of them are real eye-sores.

Moves to Australia and obtains a "baddass" attitude?? I happen to think the blue and white one is pretty.
Js
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 1:05pm
well you happen to be wrong
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

wow

Moves to Australia and obtains a "baddass" attitude??

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 5:17pm
Thanks gents. Dad's had a blast at the few CCF events he attended this year so one would expect he'll be attending future reunions with this boat in tow. Zoe, Maddox and I will fulfill the Correct Craft side.

about time one of you Mars boys got a boat worth looking at

Finally!

the rest of them are real eye-sores.

Especially those two orphan boats!   
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 5:41pm
Great looking Boat guys! Congrats!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 6:47pm
Looks Great Chris.   Do you know if Steve wet sanded and buffed the final coat of varnish or if that it untouched?   Brand of Varnish?   thx

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 7:07pm
I don't know how I missed this entire thread, but I did. To think that for the past few years this boat has been in the process of restoration not too far from our up north house, incredible! Looks great.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 7:57pm
[QUOTE=storm34] Thanks gents. Dad's had a blast at the few CCF events he attended this year so one would expect he'll be attending future reunions with this boat in tow. Zoe, Maddox and I will fulfill the Correct Craft side.

Still time to make the trek to NC and the Badin Lake event. No need to end the season now
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2015 at 7:59pm
You could come and check out the what could be your son's Chris Craft so he and Grandpa could cruise in the Chris's
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic