NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chris Craft Action Plan-NEW PICS!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chris Craft Action Plan-NEW PICS!!!!!
    Posted: November-02-2009 at 2:51pm
I was talking with my dad about our 1955 Chris Craft Continental's plan of attack to restore and what all needed to be done. I thought I'd post and see if anyone had an opinion or could point us in the right direction.

The boat is complete and all original with a "Hercules 6." The motor runs but needs rebuilt and we're looking to go original. If anyone knows someone who would be interested and qualified I'd love some recommendations. (Pete I sent you a message about this a few min ago)

As far as the hull and deck, we were toying with sending it to have it done. I think I read Don Dannenburg does this for a pretty penny? Any thoughts?

These are obviously 2 major issues and the rest would be within our abilities to finnish.

Here are links to pics of her current state ( cant post pics for some reason)

Bow

Model K

port side

transom

Thanks in advance!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 6:54pm
Chris,
I did email you back with Ted Cartners email address for the engine. His phone incase you'd prefer to call is 847 395 8902 He does the engine rebuilding in his home shop and is probably the best person around on the Chris Craft engines. BTW, it's not a Chrysler. You are correct that Chris did start with the Hercules blocks. (Gray Marine used Continentals)

Don Dannenburg would get LOTS of pretty pennies for a bottom job!! Since you're in the midwest, I do know a couple of boat restorers that would give you a top job without the extreme cost. (still, sit down when they quote!!) I've got phone #'s at home and will get back to you.

The hull sides and deck you know will need to go down to bare wood and then bleached. Are the fastenings tight - from the looks of the pictures, you may have some loose ones because the bungs look "proud" (high) and have been hit with the sander. A loose screw will push the bungs out. Hard to tell from the pictures but how tight are the seams?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 7:49pm
Pete, not sure why I put Chrysler...Was trying to post before running off to class...my bad!

I'd like to see what the costs would be just to get a ball park. This is something he wants to enjoy in retirement and it's getting closer everyday but we've been really busy the last couple years. I'd love to tackle a wood boat but it's a pretty big and complex boat to start with.

Have you had any experience with LaPointe's in MN?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 7:56pm
Chris,
My first choice would be Bottoms Up in Crandon Wi. Phone is 715 478 3186 The guys name is Steve Bunda. I've know him going back 25 years to the old MACBA (Midwest and Antique Classic Boating Association) and know he'd do a great job. He has the equipment to flip the hull which I feel is really required to do a bottom job.

My second choice would be Harrison Woodworking at 262 862 9423 and his name is Dean Morris. He's in Wilmot Wi. Closer to you but his only problem is he doesn't have a means of flipping the hull. He's done them on his back but I would question the method. I don't even like painting a bottom that way!!! If you had a means of flipping and then getting it to him, it would be a good choice. You'll need to pull the engine anyway for Ted.

Give both of them a call and see what they have to say.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 8:00pm
I've seen a couple of LaPointes boats and they aren't bad. However, I feel he's going to be up there in cost almost to Dannenburgs level!!

So, what can you tell me about the general condition of the hull?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 9:26pm
Chris - There is a woodie boat restoration shop up at Lake Okoboji. Can't attest to their abilities other than they had several vintage boat in-process when I went by. I can help you contact them if you are interested.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 10:13pm
Nice project Chris, but please tell me that those pictures are from last winter
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yes those are from last winter! We have gotten our first snow this year tho! Hopefully it continues to hold off for another couple weeks.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 1:40am
Thanks Chris, If you have that info that would be awesome...I'll look and see if I can track it down as well. As of now I'd like to make a list of possible shops to do the job and see what they have to say about the boat.

Pete- the boat is in pretty good condition, I've crawled around inside and haven't seen any braces broken. There are a few spots with dry rot on the deck but limited to small areas. I'll snap some more pictures tomorrow and see if I can post them in the afternoon.

After a year we've finally got the time and money to get the ball rolling, now we've just got to keep it that way
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 10:41am
Found it in Yellow pages.

Blue Water Restoration 712-338-2557

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:11pm
To get a really good idea of what goes into a full restoration, check out the Macatawa Bay Boats website. They have a really great section of their site that documents the full restoration. It is one thing to read Dan's book, but to see the process done is priceless. It is alot of work to do one correctly. Having a shop do a full "5200" type bottom is not for the faint of heart. The common ballpark figures that seem to apply to most of the shops country wide range from $750-$1000 a foot. 20' boat = $20,000. The bottom of the boat is THE most important part of the restoration. Research it and plan it yourself, or bite the bullet, but make sure that part is right. Kind of like trying to build a house on an old crumbling foundation. Good luck and keep us posted.

Macatawa Bay Boats
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
beirish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:03pm
check out www.markmcisaacinc.com as he does fantastic work. he's been restoring CC's for many years and has won several awards.
2001 Ski Nautique 196 (GT40)
beirish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by beirish beirish wrote:

check out www.markmcisaacinc.com as he does fantastic work. he's been restoring CC's for many years and has won several awards.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will mention that this is one of my brothers, and he really does excellent work. He partnered for many years with Don Danenberg until he opened up his own shop in Manistee. They remain good friends. Check him out.
2001 Ski Nautique 196 (GT40)
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2009 at 12:55pm
If you dig a couple pages back in this forum, you will find a pretty detailed log of what i have done to our ol Chris, give you an Idea of what you are in for. I have talked to Danenburg and Jack McCarthy at the woodedn boat shop in Cuinncinatti often during the project, every time i get ready to ship it off to them they remind we are looking at 10k ish for the bottom using my supplies or about $60k just to do it and send it back. Guess that is why I keep plugging along.

We finished the bottom last winter and are just getting ready to dig in and do the sides after thanksgiving. Hopefully this winter will see the bottom side finished and flipped back over... one week till winter kickoff!

Just FYI, I am probably $3-4k into it right now for all new mahagany, screws, 5200 and CPES. Another grand in the motor rebuild and a lot of hours.

I'll dig out the old thread on it and post you up a link to see what your in for. If you click on the boats link in the sig I believe that will take you to the pics themselves on photobucket

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12380&PN=1&title=68-chris-craft

Sean
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2009 at 2:29am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yes those are from last winter! We have gotten our first snow this year tho! Hopefully it continues to hold off for another couple weeks.

I was wondering what all the white stuff was.

What a great thing to be starting on with your Dad. Many fun hours ahead....but keep those pictures coming.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 6:53pm
Well I thought I would update our thread here since there is finally some news regarding our 1955 Chris Craft Continental. After talking with Pete about finding a reputable restoration shop in the area we delivered the 55 to Steve Bunda of Bottoms Up Boat Restorations.

This required getting a trailer that would make the 8 hour journey to the far northern parts of Wisconsin. I ended up buying this old woody from Paul Morris at Cedar Tree Boat Co. here in Des Moines.

Despite it looking really rough, I was able to drag the Sea Skiff 30 miles to our farm where we pulled it off the trailer with a tractor. It now rests there for the winter and will possibly become a new piece of furniture or bar in the future.

Once the Skiff was at the farm I went through the trailer (bearings, hubs, bunks, wiring and new tires). It was sandblasted and a fresh coat of high gloss back paint gave it some new life. We did have to make a few modifications to fit the hull of the Continental. The front cross members were cut off and 2 new "v" braces were added to allow clearance. The trailer itself is a little long but fit the boat relatively well for not making too many adjustments.

Last weekend we finally got some free time (and good weather) to head north and meet Steve and his wife Laurie.

Their shop is simply amazing and any guys dream. Two of my buddies made the trip along with my 2 year old Golden Retriever, Katie. Steve's two Golden Retrievers played outside with Katie as we spent the better part of Sunday touring his facilities and soaking up as much information as possible. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing his website.

The pictures do not do justice as he has 2 more buildings on his property. One is mostly storage and full of boats of all vintages and a wall full of parts, blocks and misc boating stuff. The other is his storage facility for new wood waiting to be put on boats.

Upon arrival, we backed our entire rig into the shop, lifted the boat and pulled the Durango and trailer back outside. We inspected the hull and compared it to a 23' Continental which happened to be sitting next to our rig.

This was a very cool experience to see our hull in project condition and another opened up nearing completion. (like seeing a rotten Correct Craft and one being restrung) Steve was very impressed with the condition of the boat, mostly due to the bottom not being caulked by PO's. Hopefully we won't have too many braces broken and we didn't seem to find too much rot.

Steve will be doing a new 5200 bottom as well as replacing some deck boards. That is the plan for now, but I am guessing our list for him will continue to grow. I'm leaning towards him refastening the sides but we'll cross that bridge once the time comes.

Sorry for the novel, more to come soon for those interested.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 7:06pm
Well I finally got some pictures to post from our trip up North to Crandon,WI and Steve Bunda's shop. Hope you guys enjoy them!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 7:20pm
Wow, what an amazing shop! Keep posting pics. What a great project!
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Wow, what an amazing shop! Keep posting pics. What a great project!

Thats not a shop!!
Thats Nirvana!!LOL!!!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 8:39pm
I'll say!   Looks like the "Clean Zone"

Nuclear Science Lab and Boat Restorations.

The Continentals and Capri's were always my favorites.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 8:55pm
Here's a pic of the '56 Capri I did in 1997.

Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 9:34pm
Chris
If you find yourself in the Crandon area this summer check ahead to when Footstock is happening as that is just north of Crandon and quite entertaining! My son and I went last summer to watch Mark ( Laurel Lake Skier) compete, it was a blast.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 6:50pm
Dad and I took a trip up to see Steve in Crandon a few weekends ago and check on the progress of the Continental. As we expected, everything looks great as you'll see in the pictures below. He has a few new projects in the shop for the winter and had just wrapped up a few more boats this summer.

The Continental was in better shape than he expected and even made the comment that it was one of the best conditions he'd seen from a structure standpoint. It was really nice to hear this from Steve as he reassured us we didn't get taken in the initial purchase.

Steve replaced the Keel and a few frames, otherwise everything was painted and tightened. I was pleased to hear this news along with the fact that it's square!

We're working on collecting some misc hardware pieces and getting everything together to chrome. We're also working on getting the motor work lined up and having new interior sewn.

Feels great to see some progress made on this one after it set in our building waiting for two years.

Here's some pictures from our visit

Steve and Laurie giving Dad the tour

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 7:44pm
Looks good. What a place!
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 9:07pm
Looks good, reminds me a lot of where we were 2 winters ago on my wife's boat.
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 9:37pm
Chris,
Have you gotten the engine guy lined up yet? I have the very best for the Hercules/Chris and in fact, does go up to Steve's shop in Crandon to pick up engines. Ted Cartner??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 7:14pm
Thanks for the compliments guys! Steve's operation is inspiring to say the least. And that's only building number 2 of 3! Another is full of boats, the other for material storage.

Pete, good catching up with you the other evening. I got an email from Steve shortly after saying that Ted will be up to retrieve the motor along with one for another boat.

Any opinions on going to a dual carb set up?

Pro's/Con's?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 9:48am
Chris,
Ask Ted about the carbs. He'll know off the top of his head the differences. I seem to think Cris did some other things when they went to the duals. Cam and maybe even a lighter flywheel?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 9:57am
I got a period correct Paragonian sitting there waiting
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 11:34am
Nice shop, thanks for the pictures Chris.

I do find it interesting how even the professionals don't agree on all the techniques for rebuilding these old boats. If a newby were to post a picture on Danenbergs site with painted glue surfaces on frame members he would rip him a new one.

Do you know what he used for paint? Looks to have no gloss and I like the color better than what I used on the Hurricane.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic