Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 Barefoot Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jo nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 Barefoot Nautique
    Posted: November-06-2009 at 4:14pm
Hi everybody,

My name is Jo and my brother and I just bought a 1986 BFN.
Kristof, who you all know and is a member here told me these babies are quite rare here in Europe...
It is a project boat, but we made a very good deal on her, especially compared to European standards.

Here are some pics (sorry for the poor quality, but they were made at night with a cheap camera ):

BTW, fiberglass on stringers is bad, but wood is still rock solid...

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by jo nautique jo nautique wrote:

fiberglass on stringers is bad, but wood is still rock solid...

Better check with Kistof again. He's been around long enough to know what we'll say. I see a few areas that will indicate water where it shouldn't be. A biggie is the inset where the removeable floor goes. I think it was only gelled at the factory. Also, the battery box drain and vent hoses are open for discussion.

The plus side is a Barefoot in Belgium! Luv it!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 4:35pm
Nice! (cept for the fork-lift steering knob)
But what's with black tranny & block? Its been out and/or apart before.
And the 2V carb on a 454?
I've seen the 4-into three exhaust before.

Hope it works out, let us know as you have questions

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 4:36pm
Oh, thats propane...
best check the cfm of that model
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 4:42pm
Nice.

I would not be surprised by the stringers. My guess is 95% of 1986 ski nautiques need the stringers redone, thats just life.

Tim

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 4:43pm
Guys guys guys, Jo, his brother and I are sitting next to each other in front of the computer. (That European reunion might get realised after all )

Greg, exactly what I told these youngsters

I did do some checks together with them, and, the wood from the stringers does sound solid... Engine cradle bolts bite. Just the fiberglass is bad (looks like a poor job to me anyway).
They already started working on her and got rid of the first layer of poor paint job on the hull. Still lots of sanding and polishing to do...

Gotta Ski,
The carb does look different, but that's because its converted to LPG...
Here's a pic of his LPG tank:

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 4:47pm
Welcome Jo, nice boat! Lots of fans of the BFN here, youre in good company.

BTW, fiberglass on stringers is bad, but wood is still rock solid...

Sorry, but Id caution your optimism here. Our '79 BFN appeared to be mostly solid (save for a small part of the floor around the pylon), and it had similar cracking on the stringers. As we continue to tear it apart, we're finding that it was wet and rotten to the core! Im not sure theres such a thing as a solid CC that old. Thats not saying that you cant run it as-is (Im sure there are TONS of people that do), but there are certainly underlying issues on most boats, even pristine ones.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 4:49pm
Jo,
Glad you found the site but I'm sorry you know that guy named Kristof!! Hopefully he doesn't show you the picture of him in the bathtub.

BTW, you need stringers. Just because the glass seems solid, it doesn't mean the wood is still in good shape. You've come to the right spot for any info/help on doing the job so keep us informed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 4:55pm
Welcome Jo,
If I remeber correctly there was a Competitive barefooter who live next door to my parents in Winter Haven Florida by the name Robert Teurezbacher. I think him and Scarpa were working together way, way back in the day. Anyways, he is from Austria and at one point would bring a promo BFN back every year to sell somewhere in Europe. Last I heard he was still doing some instruction with his company Barefoot Ect. and still taking some older barefoot boats across the pond. It may be worth checking out if you needed parts or anything else.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 5:22pm
Welcome to the BFN club. I hate to say it, but the pics of your stringers look better than mine. But I'm a procrastinator, and am running it, as is, for now.
Nice find.
BTW, you found the best liaison to CCFan in Belgium.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 5:33pm
I love the custom light bar on the monster tower... Cool add on

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

I love the custom light bar on the monster tower... Cool add on

Yeah isn't it
We were discussing over the fact if we're gonna keep it or not
Think that after a few beers this thing looks even more cool ROFLOL.
Let's find a 12V one!!

- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 6:30pm
You can see little of the actual stringers in that boat, remember on the BFN the striners are really short and under the mufflers. The cracked up fiberglass is just over the plywood that is used to get the floor up there for the foam and floor fiberglass.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 6:44pm
Congratulations and welcome!    You're gonna love it!
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 7:05pm
Kristof, look after this guy as he has a very cool boat! If you don't, we'll have to tie you to a tree and throw ice cubes at you...or whatever HW comes up with.

It's worth fixing in my opinion...these guys(like you) beat through those little waves...a BFN rides through!

Tull, are we gonna have to shoot you?

FWIW-I like Tull; I know your name is Fred.       
1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 7:51pm
Welcome aboard great news we now have a euro BFN.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Kristof, look after this guy as he has a very cool boat! If you don't, we'll have to tie you to a tree and throw ice cubes at you...or whatever HW comes up with.

Ya'll can try that at GL next year, because I told him about this reunion and we looked at some pictures and he wants to come with me...
Don't worry Greg, he's in good hands... I showed him the path to CCfan now didn't I???

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

I showed him the path to CCfan now didn't I???

In the bathtub together?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 8:12pm
HW, you do need to clue these Euros into the swing...

Lotsa work but worth it!   
1988 BFN-sold

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 9:43pm
Jo - Run it like you stole it until you have the resources & time to weed that pumpkin patch!

It will probably go for 2 or 3 years like it is without major work.

Polish the hull, buy some beer, invite some ladies & have a great time!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jo nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2009 at 4:45pm
Hi all,

Today we started to dissasemble her. Kristof came over and the three of us started working on the boat.
First we started to get the oil out. There was our first surprise (but we suspected it): milky white goo... So we looked a little closer and found a crack in the block...
But, we put our disapointment aside and decided to get the engine out for a full restoration (get on the lookout for a block).
We continued to dissasemble the boat and progress went well... As work advanced further and further, Kristof even convinced us to do the whole nine yards on this baby. So it looks like we're gonna do a stringer job too and get this beauty back to her full glory...

Pic's of today's labor:

Previous owner even mounted a windscreen wiper...

Dashboard out:

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2009 at 4:55pm

Kristof even convinced us to do the whole nine yards on this baby. So it looks like we're gonna do a stringer job too and get this beauty back to her full glory...

LOL! Been hanging around for some time on this site!

Except for the monster tower, we're going for resto to original (I told these boys about you Pete!! )
I love to hang out at these guys' place. They have a lot of knowledge about cars and boats, and also a shop that looks more like a treasure cave .

Here's how we build an engine cradle from scrap metal lying around...

Engine is coming out of the boat tomorrow afternoon...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 8:42am
Hey Jo welcome to the comunity!!! I was going to ask Kristof if the you were they guy I met when I was there..and now I can confirm you are after thisw pics..LOL nice you have a long winter project...I have just finished my boat yesterday..after 6 months of work.. and the moment you put the last bolt turn the key and everything its ok its the best!!! I will follow your post with great interest ..keep up the work coming...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 2:24pm
Today's update on the boat:

Getting ready to pull the engine out:

Tom firing up the fork lift (these guys got some nice gear in their backyard ):

Jo preparing the engine for the lift:

Engine out of the boat and on its way to its cradle:

Engine on the cradle in front of their shop (or better said: treasure cave):

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 2:33pm
The crack in the block (and the freeze plug half out) and the milky white goo still leaking out of the dipstick hole:

Pic of the tranny (especially for you Eric ):

lifting the LPG tank out:

Pic of messy jobs by PO on the transom:

Looking over the work done so far and wondering if we should get ourselves another beer:

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 3:43pm
Wow is this gonna be fun to watch...as long as there is no "tub" shots.

Welcome to the site guys. You are in good hands with Kristof. I see that he already has you guys sharing lots of pictures on here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 5:10pm
I wanna yank Kristof's chain, but I'll wait to next time.

We're looking forward to what you 'euros' come up with!
1988 BFN-sold

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 5:13pm
Now thats an engine hoist!      Looks like a great project. Keep the pics coming!

Steve
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I wanna yank Kristof's chain, but I'll wait to next time.

Oh Yeah...??? Bring it on my friend, bring it on!!
Gonna pick up the phone right now and call you...

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 6:39pm
Greg,
Nice talking to you on the phone. You a funny man, WEALLY funny
So, start looking for a cheap plane ticket and get you butt over here!

Jo, tell your dad to prepare a room in his B&B, the Pumpkin professor might come over .
Oh, and make sure there's enough beer in the fridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic