Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine removal advice please

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
howracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine removal advice please
    Posted: February-21-2004 at 5:55pm
1991 ski nautique... 351 ford PCM. i have everything stripped off the motor and wish to pull it while leaving the transmission in the boat. i have pulled lots of motors from cars but don't know how the trans and the motor are connected/disconnected in my boat. is it possible to move the motor straight forward while leaving the transmission in the boat? do i need to remove the skier tow bar? i really would like to leave the trans in the boat if at all possible.
thanks in advance,
howard coleman
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2004 at 6:37pm
i have never done it that way, but it will work. when it pulls free from the transmission you better be absolutly positively sure that the oil pan will not bust a hole in the hull.

you'll want to mark the motor mounts, so you'll be close to your original alignment when you re-install it.

i would think the pole and that section of the floor would have to go.

howracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2004 at 6:43pm
thanks.... apparently there is a splined shaft from the trans that slips into something connected to the engine. i plan to remove the cast engine mounts at the engine so the engine should realign itself upon installation as the mounts won't be removed from the hull.
howard
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2004 at 7:13pm
it's called a dampner plate. visualize a clutch disc bolted straight to the flywheel sans the friction material.

no such thing as a self alignment thing in my world. i would advise you to check it after re-installation.
howracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2004 at 11:55pm
thanks. i will check realignment..
howard
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2004 at 1:11pm
howracer- Just pull the motor and trans out
as one assembly - It is very easy. I stripped
off nothing of my motor when I pulled it. I
just disconnected my fuel line,exhaust hoses,
water pickup hose,main wiring harness has a connector thats wrapped in electrical tape, and my power and ground. four bolts - 2 for the tranny mounts and 2 for the motor mounts
I had the whole thing out of the boat from start to finish in about 15 minutes. When you
do get it out - find an old tire - lower the oil pan straight into the middle of the tire -then you can seperate the trans from the motor
hope I helped!
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2004 at 2:23am
     Dan is correct, Howard. The engine and tranny pulled as a unit is much easier. On my "66" the engine and tranny are supported as a unit, At a perticular angle. On four points. All four mounts sit on jack bolts, with jamb nuts underneath, maintaining the heigth and angle, and lock nuts, secureing the top. I was fortunate enough to have a forklift, and a steel top table to seperate my tranny from the motor on. be sure to tape the jamb nuts, or reference mark them in some way. Have fun, be safe, and good luck
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2004 at 1:45am
Its a good idea to mark the mounting bolts before you move them After you replace the motor/tranny you have to realign it to the prop shaft. Specs call for alignment to .002" to .003" Thats really close.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2004 at 4:32pm
i can email anyone an funky alignment procedure that i recieved from mark at marine gears. the procedure compensates for slightly bent shafts and flanges similar to rotaing a tire on a rim to offset the imbalance. i'll try to post it on inboardtalk and link it, but i have it if anyone wants to read it.
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2004 at 4:19am
Tryan,
If you still have the alignment info I would love a copy. Thanks in advance.

Johnnie Messer (johnniemesser@bellsouth.net)
Johnnie Messer
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2004 at 3:50am
Howard, my advise- Just pull the entire engine and tranny.It's really not hard to align the engine to coupler after reinstalation.People make it out to be a big deal- it's more carpentry than mechanics.go for it- you'll be surprised how easy it is.btw, why you pullin the motor?
Lew Beck View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2004 at 11:04am
If you still have the alignment info I would like a copy. Thanks in advance.

E-mail: skilew77@yahoo.com
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2004 at 2:40pm
Tryan, Is this the same article? "Get in Line" by Jack Hardin? The article is on inboardtalk.com under their engine/transmission heading. I used it this weekend and it is quite a process. I admit to getting confused in the last couple steps.
Darren Sangster View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Sangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2004 at 4:38pm
I have pulled the engine & tranny out of my 76 and it was very easy. It's back in now, but I haven't put in the shaft yet to see how close it is lined up. Is it just common sense? Or are there acutally procedures? E-mails would be really appreciated!!! dsangstr@mts.net
Thanks
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2004 at 3:09pm
engine alignment isnt that hard but it does take some patience. I just did it again on my 95 SN. There is an article on"inboardtalk.com" that explains everything in great detail. Look in the engine/trans section. Its mostly a lot of time and small movements of the engine and checked with a feeler gauge. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic