NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Show me your garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 101112
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 1:00pm
Well I started this thread 2-1/2 years ago with intentions of documenting my garage building process. Well it didn't work out that way, but after 11 pages of some good discussion and some awesome garages, I guess I'll finally post what I ended up with.

We actually started this garage in April of 2010, and just finished painting last weekend. It's 32'x36' with a 12'x36' room in attic. I ended up going with a W14-22 beam that runs between the two garage doors with (2) 1-ton hoist to accommodate lifting the boats/engines. Lifted the first boat this last weekend for some buffing and trailer work, and it worked out well.   

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 4:38pm
Pete, how did your drywallers finish up against the beam? Did they attach to the beam in any way? My contractor convinced me that I wouldn't need a nailer attached to the beam, and that the 5/8" drywall could just be supported by the last truss and still be plenty strong. Since I don't drywall for a living I took his word for it. Just curious how you did your's.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 5:05pm
Craig,
Yes, my drywaller as well as my general convined me a nailer was needed at the W beams otherwise the joint would open up. The drywaller finished the drywall edge off with a I believe what he called a "L" trim.

Your project is look'n fantastic! I love the storage area in the attic space. I wish I had some but with the tall ceilings in the shop. the overall height of the building would have been pretty tall.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 5:09pm
Very Nice

Pete used a W14x26, added 3x3x1/4" pl @ 24" o.c. to support the 2x4 nailer, ceiling was 1/2" dw.

Pete, J-Bead maybe??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 5:19pm
Chris,
It wasn't a "J" bead. The "J" bead is U shaped and goes over the edge of the drywall. This stuff went up to the edge and was made to be mudded up to that edge. "J" bead doesn't mud very well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 5:57pm
Thanks guys. I'm really happy with the results, and yes I do love the storage space above. Time will tell what happens with the joint at the beam.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 6:16pm
well done craig. its like you got inside my brain.
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 12:35am
Wow, that is nice. Enjoy
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 12:42am
Wow that is a nice garage. Will it get a bar upstairs?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 10:59am
Ha, no bar upstairs. It actually looks about the same as it does in that picture, except for it has 1 row of OSB around the sides to prevent all the crap I have laying around up there from falling onto the ceiling below. I plan on building some low budget shelving and keeping it an unfinished space.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 1:26pm
My Garage Project

We started the Thursday before Memorial Day 2010.

We currently are having drywall being taped hope to be priming interior end of the month.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 2:08pm
That's a sweet cave. That upstairs has got to be huge. 1000 sqft?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 2:35pm
966sq ft apartment up top, and 11 foot ceiling downstairs with the 10x10 bay having a 2 ton lift beam across for pulling engines and what have you. 38ft wide 30 deep
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by lfskizzer lfskizzer wrote:

966sq ft apartment up top, and 11 foot ceiling downstairs with the 10x10 bay having a 2 ton lift beam across for pulling engines and what have you. 38ft wide 30 deep

that should be a good "start" !

Very NICE!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

it has 1 row of OSB around the sides to prevent all the crap I have laying around up there from falling onto the ceiling below. I plan on building some low budget shelving and keeping it an unfinished space.

Craig,
Just above the 1 row (4') of OSB, run a horizontal 2x4 from the wall stud back to the roof joist and use it for your shelving support. Yes, you will not be able to use the sheving for real long items but for all the small stuff that will fit between the wall studs, it will be a great space saver.

Even more room for the bar!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 3:55pm
Thought I would share some pictures of our 'shop'. It's actually our warehouse for the business but there's usually 2-3 Correct Crafts in there at any given time. It's set up perfectly for a boat shop but for the time being I guess I have to share space.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

it has 1 row of OSB around the sides to prevent all the crap I have laying around up there from falling onto the ceiling below. I plan on building some low budget shelving and keeping it an unfinished space.

Craig,
Just above the 1 row (4') of OSB, run a horizontal 2x4 from the wall stud back to the roof joist and use it for your shelving support. Yes, you will not be able to use the sheving for real long items but for all the small stuff that will fit between the wall studs, it will be a great space saver.

Even more room for the bar!

Pete, that's a good idea. Never thought of that. I do want to keep an access panel on both sides of the upstairs room so I can get in there for any future electrical/maintenance work.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Alcarlaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcarlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 1:01pm
I thought I'd revive this post - there was a link to it on the "starting the gel coat job" thread, and I am sure there are some more nice garages that we all need to see.

I'll start with mine, my previous "garage" which was pretty much identical to this and lasted 7 years, stayed up during the winter storms, a number of which had gusts of wind well over 100mph. I'm hoping this "garage" performs likewise, I really need to knock down our real garage and start again, it's too narrow and too short but time, money and the distinct wish to move home is putting me off doing this. Unfortunately, this side of the pond, in Scotland, new build garages are like new build houses (tiny and well, crap) and are designed to accomodate our little cars and certainly not boats. I recently built a cabin in our garden which I use for an office. really easy to build so I am considering building a garage in a similar fashion, even with my limited building skills it came together well and was pretty cost effective.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2013 at 11:30pm
I just got my utility bill for my up north shop and wanted to comment about what decent insulation does. This winter due to my new job I didn't even get up there over the holidays so it's a good example.

Ref:

Wisconsin public service doesn't send bills until you go over 100 CCF so, for 4 months and keeping the 1500 sq. foot shop at 40 degrees, it cost me $120. In comparison, my little 700 sq, foot house up north also set at 40 degrees has been running around $170 per month!! That's 4 times the cost with half the sq. footage (8 times the cost)!!

I normally drain the house and shut the heat off after New Years but obviously didn't this year!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2013 at 11:54pm
board and batten walls? radiant heat? i missedd the rest of the build but for a few shots here and there . thats pretty amazing considering just the frost encroachment on the slab no matter how well the rest of the structure is built
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 9:34am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

board and batten walls? radiant heat? i missedd the rest of the build but for a few shots here and there . thats pretty amazing considering just the frost encroachment on the slab no matter how well the rest of the structure is built

Peter,
I too have seen all the snow melted around slabs from heat loss so here's what I did to eliminate the frost encroachment into the shop and the heat loss out. First, the shop was built with a full foundation down below the frost line and not on a slab. At the perimeter the top 8" of the 8" thick foundation wall was thinned down to 4" thick. This allowed the slab perimeter to be insulated on the inside with 2" of iso board and still be covered by the 2x6 walls so no insulation is visible inside or out. This perimeter insulation went under the door sills as well as under the overhead door (1" iso) creating the perimeter insulation and thermal break. Under the OH door, the top of the insulation at the slab was capped with a polyurethane caulk.

Other insulation features:
2x6 walls with regular fiberglass insulation. 3/4" iso insulation sheathing board on the outside. 2" poly board under the slab. Extra 4" insulation heal on the trusses. 2" iso board ventilation chutes at the heal and not the plastic pre made between the trusses - this adds about R20 at the heal where the attic insulation gets thinner. 18" of blown in fiberglass in the attic. High efficiency Triangle tube boiler (with "side arm" tank for the domestic hot water) for the in floor radiant. Regular double pane windows but E glass. 2" thick iso insulated overhead door (R19). 2" OH door overlap at sides and top on wall. The outside is board and batten but with rough sawn Cedar B&B ply and then battens.

In comparison, the house is a converted 3 season. 2x4 walls were added to the outside over the original vertical log siding. A basement was added and the attic was insulated but with only about 6" of glass. This will change soon!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 2:00am
Well some might remember my garage from this thread earlier but I finally got to the siding oh and added another 12 foot addition to the side.

Earlier pic

Current pic. Still have to paint trim on windows and doors and hang the lights, gutters but we're getting there. Maybe now I can get the boats out of storage.

Back view
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 10:48am
Wow, that's bigger than most of the houses in my neighborhood!

What type of heat source are you going to use?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 11:08am
It has zoned radiant floor heat R-19 walls R-38 ceiling.
Still finishing up the inside 1st floor when I get that done then I'll start on the 2nd floor probably this winter.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 2:55pm
Classy looking man cave Paul.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 9:14pm
Nice Paul. Enjoy!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 10:05am
Thanks guys
Still not completely done inside but usable, still have to epoxy the floor, put in some base cabinets, run air lines then hang the last of the drywall. But we're getting there
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 101112
  Share Topic