NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 fuel pump rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 fuel pump rebuild
    Posted: December-09-2009 at 2:25am
I decided that after 40yrs that it was time for a check up, I haven't had any major trouble and I do carry a new marine one. I am going to put a hose port on for the overflow, but anyway here are some very ugly pic's. Has anyone taken a true marine pump for a Ford apart? What actually makes it marine? It actually is cleaning up well. I had no idea that it looked like this,my tank is clean and I never had any crud in my carb. I guess you never know until you look.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 2:44am
Very clean looking now. Bet all your splice cases look nice when you close'em up too.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 8:37am
Gary,
The only difference with the marine is the ported non liquid side of the diaphram.

If you've never done a pump before and since the kits never come with instructions, I'd like to mention a important step. Before you clamp down on the diaphram screws, you need to compress the pumps actuator lever. This will stroke the diaphram to it's full open position. Then when you clamp down the screws, the diaphram with be pre stretched. This is needed for the pump to operate to it's normal capacity.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 11:29pm
I actually got real good instructions Pete, but thanks for the reminder,us guy's don't need stinking instructions!
Here is where I got the kit,some interesting info here too fuel pump parts
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Very clean looking now. Bet all your splice cases look nice when you close'em up too.

john

I was thinking of you today,heard it was hot there. We had our 1st good snow,and was out 5 hrs on one job,it was all arial, but lucky for me it was all front lot.I had a heavy cross at a 3way,cut that off and then had a small ground to chase also.Found a iw in the air and thought there's my problem-- no I'm not that lucky,I don't like being out of my normal town.I would have signed my life away today right there and then if they offered a buyout
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 1:46am
"An IW in the air".....am always amazed at how similar the work and problems and butchers are from state to state.
One thing I don't miss: the weather. Saw on the weather reports that along Lake Erie (my old district) that it was snow and 35 to 50 mph winds today. Outside for 5 hours...no thanks. My buyout was offered mid December of '03 but you had to be off the payroll by December 30th..so that scared off some guys...I couldn't sign fast enough.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 2:15am
I had to pay for yesterday, had a cable failure and lucked out and was done in an hour.The weather was bad enough it took me that long to get there too. Like you said before you could drop one of us anywhere,I'll bet down where your at it's the same. No gators up here tho
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 2:25am
I have talked to some of the guys here...no snow, easy digging...all sand, Bd boxes all look as bad as ours, snakes and gators in the manholes and Peds. Think I might rather have some snow than run into some of those guys. Easier driving here, just traffic.
You gotta pm your phone number to me. Lost my little book that always stays here on the desk with all my C/CFAN buddies in it. Gotta start over on my list of numbers. D*mn.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 4:17pm
Geez, John how many books have you lost? Everytime I call you up, I get the same answer. " Dang it Tim I was gonna call you but I misplaced your number." Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Put down your hair brush and find your "Lil' Black Book"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 9:33pm
Tim, I think he's selling our numbers for gas money for the boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 1:08am
Quit bustin' my nads both you guys and PM me your numbers.

Remember...you too will be near 60 someday...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 8:23am
He,He he!.................I think we got to him Gary!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2009 at 12:56am
Don't pat yourself on the back just yet Tim,we had to tag team him for us to get this far---
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 10:20pm
I finally finished my pump today, even got to try out my zinc plating skills on the filter housing.Now I just have to wait for spring to try it out   

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2009 at 9:00am
Gary,
Tell us more about the plating.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2009 at 3:54pm
I always wanted to buy one of these kits Caswell plating but the price always put me off. So instead I looked up zinc plating on the net. I ended up using a zinc anode and vinegar as the electrolyte.I let the anode sit in the vinegar a few days before starting. Then I connected a 1 1/2 volt D cell, + to the anode, - to the part I was plating.I then left it in for 3 days. From what I have read, you don't have to leave it in that long,but wanted to make sure it had a thick coat. I then polished it on a wheel.I still want to buy the kit someday,but I thought this would be fun to try.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2009 at 5:40pm
Gary,
Cool!! Sounds like there's a mad scientist side to you. Good thinking!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2009 at 8:23pm
That's a great trick - got to keep this one cataloged for future use!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2009 at 3:37am
Where are my numbers Tim and Gary....you too Pete. Still can't find the book. Did find the other one with all our passwords in it. Made Patti happy.

RE: the plating Gary....done like a true cable guy who usually needs to make something outa nothing...while being miles away from the garage and supplies.

Weather here is cool today...53 Saturday morning. Boy those guys on the East coast got hammered. C&P guys in the DC and Virginia area must be making some OT.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2009 at 9:29am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

RE: the plating Gary....done like a true cable guy who usually needs to make something outa nothing... john

John,
I read this and the first thing that came to mind is my drop. Problem was that they were never able to make "something outa nothing" until they replaced and rebuild it! Still up and running!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2009 at 11:48am
I mailed you them thru the site John,I'm starting not to trust that feature. I think I have missed other things thru that too.I'll call you some evening.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic