NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 31>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 10:21pm
Ha, I may be ok Gary- when we got it, the motor was already a non-original color (black). At least blue matches the boat. If it had the original OMC manifolds, I might have gone back to that ugly green... but it wont look much like a motor that ever came in a Correct Craft anyways. From the top, hopefully all you'll see is the polished stuff! Valve covers, exhaust manifolds and flame arrestor are all polished aluminum and SS. Id like to get new pullies as well, but that wont happen this year.\

Regardless, something tells me this thing wont be an underperformer.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 10:07pm
I hesitate to say anything Tim but changing colors is bad luck much like changing the name of a boat.Look at Steve's troubles.Now Pete and him will say thats an Interceptor color,but Steve will admit it hasn't preformed to it's full potential since he's had it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 5:47pm
Just don't paint it whatever color Spurling's engines were, they don't seem to last...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Larry, I like that orange engine and although it was an upgrade over the standard Ford, do these guys ever make you feel like it is the odd cousin?

Yeah, they do...when they finally join me at the finish line (the one's with the stockers anyway)
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:49pm
Got to admit that "sparkly blue" is fast.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:47pm
Who the hell started this, I kinda like the blue. I've got a can of the sparkly fast blue if you'd like.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:45pm
While I have come over to the dark side and learned to love engines that are odd colors and have most of their parts on the opposite side of normal, how can anyone say this black GM engine with the dreaded M word on the side is not a good looking engine.

Larry, I like that orange engine and although it was an upgrade over the standard Ford, do these guys ever make you feel like it is the odd cousin?
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:40pm
Although Im not footer, my next one will be a BFN. Love the deeper hull for rougher water and you got to like the power.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:28pm
Larry, thats orange? Thought it was red. Like I said, no offense intended- just dont like the look of orange and blue together!

Tom, no one said it would be a SBC powered CC- thats why I was asking. I figured it could either be a late model (03+ is all Chevy), an older big block (BFN/2001/Martinique), or a smaller, SBC powered vintage CC (Mustang/Tique/2nd gen SN). I think the latter would make for a screamer, if anyone ever builds one.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:27pm
Buffalo needs to post a pic of the "punkin's" motor.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Can you spare a little salt for my wounds?   

ditto

Thats ok Tim. Still gonna look great.

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:19pm
I've owned boats since 1985.Worked my way up from an outboard,to a IO,then 71 SN,and finally I one, I have now Malibu Sunsetter.
Who said it would be a small block powered CC?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:11pm
Does that mean you're a "new boat" guy, Tom? If not, what type of CC will you be looking for? We've yet to see someone build a SBC powered CC that can hang with the big boys. (The 6.0L Crush and the big blocks dont count!)
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:03pm
All my vehicles are Chevy powered.My next one will be too.But it will be another CC.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 3:04pm
Oh man, the truth comes out- I knew there was something "off" about you, Tom! I figured you had just been hanging around Greg too long!
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 3:00pm
Ouch that hurts Cat!
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

The big block Chevy Gods will not smile on you, if you leave it blue. BB Chevys are meant to be orange. Its in the big book on the facts of life. Look it up if you dont believe me.

But any color engine in a Correct Craft is better than a Mailbu!!!!         
Greg

86 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:51pm
I dislike black greatly (on a motor). Reminds me of a Mercruiser.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:32pm
black might have been a good choice too, and made the chrome pop in the process.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg,
I like your orange engine. It's original!!

Thanks Pete; maybe she'll feel better now.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:22pm
I'm just worried if the pumpkin will start now!      
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:08pm
Pete, if youre talking original to Chevy, youre correct- but all the 454 PCM's were silver.

Eric, yes- the stock manifolds (PCM, Osco, OMC or otherwise) would have fit with these valve covers. I decided to spring for some expensive "marine" tall valve covers... these will both clear any roller rockers as well as pyramid risers. You'll notice they have an angle cut into the top (easily seen from the front).
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:03pm
Tim- with the Roller Rockers and higher valve covers do you think the stock PCM manifolds would have fit? I know you guys picked up the EMI thunder exhaust. But I was just curious
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:00pm

Greg,
I like your orange engine. It's original!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 1:55pm
LOL...I had to try!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 1:32pm
Ha, no offense meant towards you at all, Greg. I like orange and I like blue, I just dont care for them mixed together. I know most do, but I even thought the blue logos on the interior of the CCF boat were pushing good taste! Just not my thing. I dont like the Knicks or Syracuse basketball, maybe thats why.

Tom, I do believe you- I guess its just that I dont care! If the boat was any other color besides blue, I might feel differently.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 1:30pm
The big block Chevy Gods will not smile on you, if you leave it blue. BB Chevys are meant to be orange. Its in the big book on the facts of life. Look it up if you dont believe me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 1:24pm
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 1:15pm
Alan, Dad and I couldnt agree on a color... neither of us were a big fan of the OMC blue/green, and the motor is so far from original looking that we ruled that option out pretty quick. We considered a few more appropriate Chevy colors, but neither of us really liked the orange (especially in a blue boat), and the Chevy blue we found was pretty hideous as well. I originally pushed for a neutral color like silver (like the later PCM's), but I lost that battle. The chrome would have looked sort of washed out against silver though, I suppose. We decided to go blue to match the lettering on the hull, carpet, interior, etc... Dad had to make a decision quick as things started rusting soon after they were cleaned. We had some Ford blue on hand so everything got a skim coat to keep the rust away- we figured we could always recoat with another shade of blue if we wanted to later. I guess we got sidetracked with the stringers because we never revisited it... its all Ford Blue now and I dont think either of us want to do any more painting! It actually looks a bit better in person than it does in the pictures- its darker than it appears, and matches the blue on the hull pretty darn well. The chrome looks good against it too. I think I would have preferred something with some metal flake like yours, but it doesnt look half bad as-is.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 1:04pm
Why the Ford blue Tim, that doesn't look quiet right?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 31>
  Share Topic