NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 31>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 3:28am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Incredible.

What else can be said?

I really enjoy watching you craftsmen redoing these boats.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 9:11am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

What else can be said?john

Yep! Tim you and your dad could go into the composite business. Looks fantastic. Kinda like lewy said. Its a shame you gotta cover up all the beautiful work you guy's have done.   

If Delta is ever looking for a new composite guy in the Hartford area I'll put in a good word for ya!   
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 11:15am
Pete, what exactly is melamine? Is it a laminate? I just want to make sure Im looking for the right stuff! I have some FG mold release from McMaster- I planned to use it when I finally start popping out the Skier buckets.

Roger, Ill bring a small piece with me- Ive been saving all of our scrap.

Lewy, if Joe remembers correctly, then we ended up buying the exact same amount of coosa. Im not claiming the boat is unsinkable- just trying to do a few obvious things now while its apart that might help the cause. If you cant make it back to GL this year, no worries- this may be my ride of choice for the next few years. Would be great to have you back though. I suppose its ok if youre rooting for Joe- but maybe the fact that we painted our 454 "Ford Blue" would help sway you?

John/Tim- thanks, but we're no craftsmen... just a couple of hobbiests here! I dont think I could go into the composites business- I work too slow to make any money!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 12:12pm
Almost forgot- quick update from last night. We glassed the doubled up floor piece and bedded the large 3/4" front floor section. We also bedded the rear spacers between the primary and secondaries and glassed the lifting ring assembly in.

Tonight I hope to get the floor glassed to the ribs/bulkheads at front and rear, finish filleting the floor to the wall, and finish trimming the floor to the bilge.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 12:21pm
Tim, Hobbiest? I'd say Artist!
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 12:24pm
I can't wait to see that pretty blue BBC with those nice EMIs sitting in that boat. Should be a beautiful site.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete, what exactly is melamine? Is it a laminate? I just want to make sure Im looking for the right stuff!

Tim,
It's the real thin sheet (not formica) they put on cheap particle board shelving and furniture. It can be wood grain or a plain solid color.

For your forms, I think a couple pieces of the cheap shelving as mentioned would work great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 1:57pm

John/Tim- thanks, but we're no craftsmen... just a couple of hobbiests here! I dont think I could go into the composites business- I work too slow to make any money!

Hobbyists can do a great job, especially when it's their toy that they are working on.   

We may take longer but there is a pride in ownership that is beyond compare.

You BFN is looking great! I hope to be able see it at GL. I'm thinking I can get the boat out to GL either Saturday or Sunday of that weekend. I'm one of those ford loyalists as well, but I'm happy to hear you painted the motor ford blue.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 2:22pm
So that rear lifting ring is just held on by the 4 thru-bolts on that one piece of coosa? Is that all it needs because the vertical load would be more of a shear load on those bolts? Seems like a couple thousand pounds could rip that out but perhaps not if the load is vertical?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 3:19pm
Joel, the new lifting ring assembly is not all that dissimilar from the original. The backer is actually one large piece of 3/4" coosa, with 2 smaller pieces of 1/2" laminated to it (under the angle). Each of the pieces were preglassed on both sides, then laminated together with another layer of cloth. The angle is 3/8" thick 3"x3" stainless (the original was plain steel) and bedded with thickened resin to the coosa. The 4 bolts are 7/16" ss, which are bedded in at the rear. The edges were filleted on the smaller stack up, and 4-5 layers of glass were added all around before it went in the boat. Another 4 layers of cloth were added to each side once in the boat, then the whole thing was covered in biax. All bedding material was epoxy thickened with milled fiber- the strongest stuff I found.

That being said, I didnt go through the strength calculation for the bolts. The shear strength of the 4 bolts, plus the strength of the adhesion of the angle to the backer may very well be the weak point of the design. It would either be that, or the adhesion of the whole coosa assembly to the transom- or the ability of the 1/8" thick transom to support the load of the entire boat. Instead, I simply replaced old, rusted parts (probably not very high grade originally- I couldnt ID them) with what I deem to be better (SS) material of the same size, and use a healthy glass schedule for the whole thing.

Considering that I dont really plan to use the lifting rings- and certainly not on a regular basis- combined with the fact that there are many old CC's still hanging by their original rings (many of which are likely made up of well rusted metal parts and wet or rotten wood), Im not going to lose much sleep over it.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 3:38pm
Great explanation on the lift ring. I was totally just curious on the whole thing. I know nothing of fiberglass strength, etc. so this is educational to me. I agree that the factory setup supporting the whole boat is borderline miraculous. I'll have to take a peek at how the 00 rear lift ring is rigged up next time I'm in there.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 4:15pm
The angle on the transom is actually a "carryover" design from the wood hulls. Worked for years even when the transom frames started to rot at the bottoms!

My X55 has a brass 3/4" downrod to a keel mounted clevis but it's bolted onto the keel with only 2 5/16 bolts!! Yes they are in vertical tensile loading but it never bothered me!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 5:09pm
Looking really good...you're coming along nicely. The craftsmanship is awesome. Now hurry up and stop attaching new pieces so you can drink those 30 packs of PBR and ML.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 4:26pm
Quick update. This week we bedded the front section of the floor. Then we spent some time filleting the edges and seams, and sanding them smooth. We also got the battery box finished (capped drain hole, installed inspection port) and bedded. In case no one has picked up on my Dresdon Blue battery box, this originally came installed on Mr. Fennessy's '83 2001.

We also got the rear mini ribs glassed in.

We also got the rudder port backer, pylon cup/bilge pump base and all the transom backers (exhaust tips, platform brackets, airguide ballast tube backers) bedded down as well.

The next step will be to glass down all the backers we have bedded, as well grinding and glassing the battery box area. Then we can proceed to foaming the front compartments.
Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 12:24am
Oh my goodness That is some serious floor and stringer work there mate !! Bloody brilliant !

It puts our Aussie made under floor work to shame.

I'll be following this thread with interest.
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 1:00am
Tim, Its good to see some of my parts going to good use.Looks Great!!

Pgaski
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 1:35am
Tim, if you've ever bought a white closet organizer (shelving), the white covering over the particle board is melamine. Boat looks great. I wish I was making your progress, but then again, I'd have to work a lot harder at it than I am.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 11:31pm
Tim I was under the impression that when using the composite type panels like the board your using, that the entire panel needed impregnated with resin. It looks like a section isn't coasted and only where you added the glass over the edges and seems.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Tim I was under the impression that when using the composite type panels like the board your using, that the entire panel needed impregnated with resin. It looks like a section isn't coasted and only where you added the glass over the edges and seems.

Chris, I think he's planning on it for the next update.

The next step will be to glass down all the backers we have bedded, as well grinding and glassing the battery box area. Then we can proceed to foaming the front compartments.

This is a very neat project, and many thanks for the work of documenting it. I'm sure it would be much easier to not stop and take pictures and write all of this up.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Chris, Im not sure that the coosa is required to be covered in resin, though we arent leaving any exposed. Just the seams on the floor are taped on top for now (the back side of the floor panels have 2+ layers of glass), but the entire floor is getting a minimum of 3 layers of glass once its all in. I want to get the front compartments foamed before glassing over everything.

Yesterday I got the battery box area ground smooth and taped, as well as the rudder port and pylon base glassed down. Tonight will be a quick night- just going to shape and bed the side of the air box so we can foam later this week. Weather is good, so we're going skiing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 8:12pm
We made some more progress this week.

Last Sun I glassed the edges of the battery box and the small piece of floor around it, as well as the pylon and rudder port bases.

This week we finished assembling the vent hoses in front and poured the foam. I thought I had a bunch left from my Ski Tique restore, but I guess it wasnt as much as I thought. I had just enough to finish the floor, but had to place an order for more so I can finish filling up the airbox. Luckily, it really shouldnt hold us up. The dark spots you see are a little bit of fairing in the low spots before glassing.

I didnt go and buy any melamine shelving, just traced the top of the air box onto some ply and cut it out, then covered it in resin and mold release. This is holding the vents in place while I pour from the top, we'll see if the foam sticks to it or not. As you can see, even with reusing all of my scrap, I ran a bit short on foam.

Dad glassed the rear transom backers for the exhaust, platform and other misc hardware.

Earlier this week we pre-glassed the bottom of the sub floor pieces. Today Dad bedded them:

And later, I filleted them:

In the meantime, we got 2 layers of glass over the entire floor. The front (foam) section got one layer each of mat and cloth, the coosa got 2 layers of cloth. Still one more layer of mat to go over everything.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 11:35am
We got the final layers of glass on the floor over the weekend. Also got the bilge cleaned up and a few more strips of biax layed down. This should make for a pretty stout hull. We've started assembly of the removable floor panel as well... pics are on Dad's camera.

Foam should be here Tues so we can finish up the air box. Just have to glass in the supports for the rear panel, and do a bunch of final sanding- then its on to installing the hull hardware and finishing the assembly of the engine.

Here's a shot of the exhaust tips, original 3" on the left, new 4" on the right. The old ones have found a new home on my sister's '69 Mustang (replacing the original 2-1/4" ones).

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 3:33pm
Like the new tips Tim, is the small hole which will be on the inside of the hull to fit internal flaps? I'm looking forward to seeing the rebuild at GL.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 5:29pm
Youve got a good eye, Roger. The new tips were available with and without flaps- I opted to go without. My '90 has the internal flaps but they make a bit of noise... hopefully I dont end up needing them.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 6:37pm
Thanks Tim but in truth its probably my current desk holders that helped
I didn't know about a noise issue with internal flaps thanks for the heads up.
Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 3:11pm
Roger, those look familiar!

The flappers arent too noisy, but I do notice them sometimes at idle on my '90.

So far this week we have ground and sanded the floor and hull, cut, bed and glassed the rear panel supports, put a few more layers of glass on the rear panel, bedded and glassed the gas tank supports and cut/bedded/glassed the final mini-ribs between the stringers. The new foam showed up yesterday so I finished pouring the air box, trimmed it up and bedded the top down as well. Just a bit more foaming at the edge of the wall tonight and then we can glass it in. Dad put some time into building a mold for the side pockets- so those are built too.

Tonight we'll get the airbox wrapped up (hopefully), do a bit of trimming/sanding, and cut our holes in the mains for the drains. We're going to need the cradle back pretty quick so we can finalize the rear edge of the front floor section, as well as the final pylon location so I can bed/glass the hull cup and drill a hole in the floor. Otherwise, we're just a round of sanding and fairing away from being ready for bilge paint.

Then we're on to engine assembly... I ordered all my tools to check pushrod length this week. I had forgotten that we'll almost certainly need new ones- the new cam has a smaller base circle than the original. Hopefully this wont be a hold up going forward.

More pics soon.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 3:42pm
I've turned my tab to the left at 45* for the past 15 years on my aluminum cans. Did we already discuss this?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 5:11pm
Tim what are you going to use for bilge paint?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 5:58pm
Ha, I think we did Joel.

Ill be using interlux bilgekote (white) for the bilge paint.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 6:55pm
Thanks I'm on the '85 project again and getting close to laying the floor and painting the bilge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 31>
  Share Topic