Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 31>
Author
87MCProstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 11:56pm
it still amazes me the time and effort but on my Tim and his dad, its fun just looking from the beginning of this thread to the end. can't wait to see final product.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 12:16pm
Ha, thanks Tim. The damn thing still isnt done yet though and the 4th is upon us... GL is only a few weeks away so it better get wrapped up soon.

As promised, here are some updated pics.

As mentioned previously, we covered the entire floor with 3 layers of glass. The front (foamed) section got mat/cloth/mat, the coosa got cloth/cloth/mat. I also ground the hull down and we put 2 strips of biax down the middle.

You can also see that the angles to raise the gas tank had been bedded. Here are the front stringer blocks bedded (they have since been filleted and glassed). We figure a little extra support between the stringers to keep everything straight wouldnt hurt- after all, the mains are quite a bit taller under the engine than they were originally.

Here are the kick plate panel supports. They were glassed before installing the panel.

We also built the rear panel, which will consist of 1/2" coosa with 3" strips of coosa running width wise. There are 2 layers of cloth between the layers, and one (so far) on the 3" strips, as well as one on the fillets. Ill snap another pic later to help show what I mean. The top will get several layers of cloth, and at least one layer of mat. Even with no glass on the top side, it seems to be pretty solid. It has to be, as it will need to span the full width of the bilge.

Here are the supports it will sit on:

There will be some 2"x2" angle aluminum screwed to these 3/4" supports, so the panel will sit on 2-3/4" on either side.

The extra order of foam showed up this week, so I finished filling the air box, then ground it smooth and bedded the top and kick plate panels onto it. I taped it all in last night- no pics of that yet. The kick plate has 2 layers of glass on the back side and the top has 2 layers on both top and bottom. This should help screw retention for accessories, carpeted panels, etc.

I filled the gaps around the pipes with thickened resin. Ill be going back and 5200'ing them as well, for good measure. I also trimmed the inlet to the batt box, so here's what it looks like (prior to final painting):

Last night we got the engine assembly started, so the cam is in and one head is on. We measured our pushrod lengths and will get those ordered up today- hopefully we're looking at a launch sometime next week.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 12:37pm
Tim,

Very nice. This boat will last forever.

Thanks for sharing.

Donald
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 12:44pm
WOW! Fantastic job Tim! I can’t wait to see it finished up and on the water…

Have a great holiday weekend!
Kyle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 12:56pm
awesome! Tim anytime you need an extra hand doing anything from gophering to holding something just let me know. my schedule is crazy but always willing and able to help a friend when i can. what are your plans for the 454? is it going to be stock rebuild or a little more than stock?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 2:20am
Originally posted by 87MCProstar 87MCProstar wrote:

awesome! a little more than stock?

I guess just a little more than Stock lol
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 10:36am

The only thing stock in that boat is the beer....

Looking good Tim !!

Hate to cover that very nice floor job..
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 10:44am
if you could only see the swim platform gary Blackburn handcrafted for me
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 12:25pm
to the post office......your almost number one son, on the favor list lol
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 4:07pm
Haha, thanks Eric!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 1:28pm
thats only cause the Post office is right next to the place where i buy the Baby Backs lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 1:04am
almost two weeks and no updates, is everything going ok Tim?
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 8:14pm
Hows the progress going gentlemen?
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 8:31pm
I think he's stuck on getting the engine back together. Maybe we need to send Chris east to help out!! He'd have plenty of "Timmy" comments!!
Tim,
Yes, what is going on?

BTW, Roger was absolutely amazed with the Coosa board samples he saw at GL. He being such a freak on composites, he wishes it was available in the UK. It is nice stuff!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 11:20am
I attempted to post a quick update over the weekend, but lost what I wrote... I was too frustrated to start over, so I went skiing instead!

The BFN is coming along- we dumped the rushed timeline once the GL trip was out, so progress has been slower the last several weeks. The engine has been test fit and mock-aligned, then yanked back out. Its in the process of getting bolted back together- please dont send Chris to "help". Ive also cut the floor back a bit based on the final engine location, and cut the hole for the pylon. Just a few finishing glass touches in the bilge and it will be ready for paint. Ill get some pics up soon.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 4:53pm
no Tim doesn't like fine details or quick easy proven methods or snap-on tools and I really wouldn't like to slow down an wait for him to catch up and over analize any issues.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 4:59pm
No, its just that this build is a touch more involved than dropping a crate motor in and calling it a day- you might be a bit out of your league.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

No, its just that this build is a touch more involved than dropping a crate motor in and calling it a day- you might be a bit out of your league.

doubt that I've been a product designer for almost as long as you've been alive. I've been paid quite nicely to make someones idea a reality, showed the proper manufacturing methods and techniques to accomplish the task at hand and meet all design requirements. But hell any one can design ignition systems, human implants and fighter jets, Hell whats a little cosa board compared to carbon fiber, and titanium childs play actually, but hell he's never been apart of record breaking speed setting vehicle, repeated Indy 500 winning engines or the latest aircraft engine technology that powers stealth aircraft that don't need a runway, so yes it would be a major step down for me and quite simple actually but EE's seem to know it all but always have to have a mechincal guy pick them up after they fall over the hurdles in front of them. Lets over analize how to create a lip to mount a board. please you don't have a clue what my skill set is, because I'm not quoting from a book or online source, it's from experience that you don't have.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 5:32pm
Chris,
You mean you just dropped a crate engine in on top of old rotten 79 stringers?? No carbon fiber rebuild?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

please you don't have a clue what my skill set is

...and you dont know mine, either.

All I know about your skill set is what I read on here, and what Ive seen with my own eyes.

Thanks for the offer to help turn wrenches, but I think I'll pass.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 6:04pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 6:07pm
sorry never offer too help Timmy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
You mean you just dropped a crate engine in on top of old rotten 79 stringers?? No carbon fiber rebuild?

first it wasn't a crate motor second the stringers where fine, Third i wasn't going to dump that much cash in to a toy that I was never planing on keeping forever in the first place.

What advantage does carbon fiber have in a medical since anyway? want to guess?, ever try bonding aluminum to it? how about machining it, marking it? not easy tasks and like it's really hard to subsitute carbon woven cloth for fiberglass woven cloth, why spend the extra cash no advantage.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

please you don't have a clue what my skill set is

...and you dont know mine, either.

and yes I did see you struggle with a very simple task so from a design stand point your very weak in that skill set, It's not hard to copy something that is all ready done or you take apart much more difficult starting with a blank sheet of paper like I get paid to do every day.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 6:43pm
Popcorn Please!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 7:32pm

and yes I did see you struggle with a very simple task so from a design stand point your very weak in that skill set

If you think that the rear panel support was the most difficult aspect of this design, that really shows a basic lack of understanding of what is involved in this sort of project. I guess I shouldnt be surprised, as youve never undertaken one yourself- and that would explain why your input was way out in left field. Another example of our resident Keyboard Cowboy.

As far as "copying" everyone else, Im not sure I follow. Yes, I leaned heavily on those who have come down this path before- specifically Joe with the Coosa, and the other BFN owners who have turned out some beautiful rebuilds. I think it would have been foolish to ignore such things. However, if you cant identify the unique aspects of this design, then there is no hope in explaining them to you. In the meantime, you can keep on producing "brilliant designs" on your blank piece of paper. I assure you that I will be no less satisfied with the results of the final product without your input. Besides, Im just a hobbiest working on a little father-son project, here.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 7:35pm
Larry....that's hilarious.   

But hell any one can design ignition systems, human implants and fighter jets,

Not doubting any of your experience...but why exaggerate? I understand you work at Rolls, but last I checked turbine engines are only 1 piece of the fighter jet puzzle. And unless their design team hierarchy is a lot different than most places, I'm guessing you design only certain components of the turbine engine puzzle.

On a side note...do they still make the Allison 250 there?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 7:59pm

"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 8:24pm
that got interesting a little, but sorry to hear you didn't make GL deadline.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 9:12pm
I love a know it all because I never have to say a word. Boo raka shaka Bumbaklot
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 31>
  Share Topic