NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 31>
Author
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 9:13pm
Hey Chris ,
If you want to bond carbon fiber to al. just use paa al. with an acetone wipe just prior to bonding or fpl etch or al oxide slurrie blast, hope i answered it for ya. Sorry Chris, i do learn stuff from you AND Tim. My skill set consists of if you don't make a mastake you aint workin'
If Tim, Chris and myself got together to rotate the tires on our cars i'm sure we would all start on a different tire AND a different car! I'm positive it would get done to the BEST of our ability thou.(you guys do torque lug nuts rite?)

P.S. My hands ALWAYS fall short of what i see in my minds eye.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Hey Chris ,
If you want to bond carbon fiber to al. just use paa al. with an acetone wipe just prior to bonding or fpl etch or al oxide slurrie blast, hope i answered it for ya.

sorry for the application it required a compination of a mechanical fit and chemical bond to exceed the goals for the appliance's application.

Timmy sometimes it goes right over your head and you go into justifications mode, Skill Design for that particualr piece very simple several avanues to go down, yet you struggled with it, your coping CC's efforts and adding creature comforts only, not design improvements, big deal more bracing woop tee doo, figure out how to add a humeral head to an implant with varable offsets and still be removable for revision after implanted, now that's a little tougher and requires a very strong design skill set EE's never get trained for or have.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 1:05pm
Tim, I hadn't been following this thread for awhile. The work you're doing on that boat is fantastic. If you were to put it on the market once it completed, people would line up to buy it, including me.

79, I don't get it. This is one of the better rebuilds I've seen on the site.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 1:26pm
Chris, I can only imagine having you on one of my project teams- you must be a joy to work with. Like I said, most of this thread is way over your head since youve never dug into a boat like this. Just because you cant recognize these features does not mean they arent there. Thanks for trying to help, but Ill continue to take the valuable advice from those who have been there before and know better, rather than the blowhards who continue to speculate and postulate how things should be done.

Bruce, thanks. It wont be going on the market, but I can assure you that no one would buy it if it did... the costs have far exceeded the boat's value.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 1:37pm
Tim, still cheaper than buying new or even used.

And there's always that special buyer. David & I went out for the first long cruise in the Mustang last week and a guy pulled up to us in a Colbalt all excited about the Mustang and wanted to know if a boat like that could be bought for under $10k. I told him to go to the ACBS show in Naples in August and the boat might be there and he might be able to buy it for that.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Chris, I can only imagine having you on one of my project teams- you must be a joy to work with. Like I said, most of this thread is way over your head since youve never dug into a boat like this. Just because you cant recognize these features does not mean they arent there. Thanks for trying to help, but Ill continue to take the valuable advice from those who have been there before and know better, rather than the blowhards who continue to speculate and postulate how things should be done.

Bruce, thanks. It wont be going on the market, but I can assure you that no one would buy it if it did... the costs have far exceeded the boat's value.

RFLMAO YOU ASSUME WAY TOO MUCH, R&D not day to day BS record keeping so the Skill level is pretty high and if you don't work well your not working on the team. Quality of the work I never knocked that, I personaly don't see the complexity or difficulty, but to some maybe they do, to me no I have to know several different manufacturing methods and the associated materials used so I view it a little different than the average unknowing joe blow from kokomo so it takes alittle more to empress me or to ask questions, nor do I need to post pictures or need that pat on the back, confidence is a beautiful thing, seeing your handy work drive past or see it under the hood or sticking out of someone's leg holding it together or flying over head on the news is much more satisfiing and doesn't require me to raise up and shout out hey look at me and what I did to feel important or accomplishment. Whats that Humble maybe, I get asked to fix many different things from my friends and they are always asking how do you know how to do that I smile and say I just do and they say thank you for helping me out and saving me money.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Tim, still cheaper than buying new or even used. And there's always that special buyer.

New, yes- but I promise it wont look new on the outside! Used is tough- I think most people would fail to appreciate how much money and effort is involved with any kind of proper structural restoration, let alone one of this magnitude. They'd see similar (unrestored) boats for half the price (or less) and see no value in one like this. Im ok with that since this one is a keeper, but Im afraid thats just the nature of these things.

A special buyer is another thing altogether- and finding one would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Just think though- if you were to swap your Mustang for $10k, that would buy at least one runner and several projects... maybe even some with V8's.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

YOU ASSUME WAY TOO MUCH

I think Ive read and seen plenty to draw fair conclusions. Youre right though, Ive never met anyone quite as humble as you.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

nor do I need to post pictures or need that pat on the back, confidence is a beautiful thing, seeing your handy work drive past or see it under the hood or sticking out of someone's leg holding it together or flying over head on the news is much more satisfiing and doesn't require me to raise up and shout out hey look at me and what I did to feel important or accomplishment. Whats that Humble maybe

Okay you might want to quit digging a hole for yourself. I don't think there are many on here who would disagree with me when I say that you, above most people on here, are constantly trying to get people to look at you and your accomplishments, and giving yourself "pats on the back". You're trying to act like you have tons of humility...please.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 2:31pm
You boys make me smile ......... personally, I don't think either of you fellas have a day job; You both spend more time on this site during the day than Keith - maybe even more than Pete! HA.......

Keep up the banter.... lightens my day!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

maybe even more than Pete! HA.......

I thinks it's a close "toss up".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 3:08pm
+1 to everything C-bass said.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Tim on more than once occasion and asking for his help a few times via email. I feel he is one of the more humble and down to earth people on this site and I've never thought of him to be one looking for a pay on the back for his work. And you get a good feeling of how humble he is and where he comes from when you meet his parents so it would be tough for me to say that he is "egotistical" or looking to show off.

It would be far easier for him to have not taken any pictures throughout the BFN rebuild and simply just done it. But he was kind enough to show those of us with a lower slippery a different way to rebuild one of our boats and I think that is commendable.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 3:28pm
I've meet Tim as well and I guess some of you are not aware of that or that we jab at each other quite often, I just do a little bit better job getting under his skin than he does mine and with my background some topics I view it in a different light than others and say oh that's nice where others go wow how did you do that. Again a laugh never hurts anyone and I know Tim laugh at it just as much as I do
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 4:03pm
Thanks for the kind words Eric. Chris is right except for one thing- Im pretty sure I get under his skin more than he's willing to admit! He's easily flustered, as demonstrated by his erratic dart game.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 4:09pm
I thought it all had to do with your '90 smoking his '79 at GL a few years back.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Eric. Chris is right except for one thing- Im pretty sure I get under his skin more than he's willing to admit! He's easily flustered, as demonstrated by his erratic dart game.

No that's the all day drinking and the third game tank dive doing that. And no-one really gets under my skin I shrug it off and move on 99% of the time.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 5:30pm
What would we do without good ole 79? He's like the brother that you will scream and fight with one second, and drink with the next. And sometimes say stuff just to get something out of him. I do enjoy his posts and they add a bit of excitement to the forums for me.

Tim, love everything you do. You've helped me out a lot!
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 6:11pm
Do you work as an engineer or something in ortho implants? Just curious as I work in medical devices
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 10:16am
penial implants?
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 10:50am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

penial implants?

So, the truth comes out - your wife wants you to go for one!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 11:04am
Tim...Hurry up on the pictures...this is getting out of hand
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
87MCProstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 11:11am
I 2nd C-Bass
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Do you work as an engineer or something in ortho implants? Just curious as I work in medical devices

Designer for Depuy at one time
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 2:21pm
packing 8", was looking for an inch or two
"the things you own will start to own you"
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 3:42pm
You're reading the wrong side of that ruler eric...that's 8 cm
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 12:02am
Great rebuild Tim, I hope to see it someday.    It will still be floating when you're an old man!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 6:38pm
Thanks Chris!

Its been a full month since the last real update- which means Ive been slacking on pictures (again). Progress has been pretty slow- without any sort of deadline, I guess that can happen. The weather here has been exceptionally nice- easily the warmest July I can remember. We might have had one or 2 days of rain, but really not very many good "garage days". So, Ive been spending my time on the water, and chipping away at other projects that keep me closer to the lake. The good news is that my newest lift is finally in- so now theres a Correct Craft at my dock.

Lets see now, where was I... oh yes, the BFN.

Like I mentioned, the airbox is finished- all taped in and sanded. The battery box lid is in decent shape as well.

We test fit the cradle, then dropped the engine in for a mock-alignment to see if we were in the ballpark with our cradle construction. No pictures to show that step, but it came out really close to where we thought it should.

Once the cradle location was finalized, we cut the pylon hole in the floor, then trimmed the rear edge of the front floor section. Hopefully this will give us a bit more clearance between the pullies and floor... you couldnt sneak a finger past them, let alone an arm- which made for an interesting reach for the drain plug.

We also glassed down the pylon cup.

Here is the bottom side of the removable panel. It needs some final sanding and smoothing, then its ready for paint.

The top got 2 layers of cloth and one of mat. With just the 3/4" supports on each side, it had minimal deflection with one person standing on it... nice.

In the meantime, engine assembly has been ongoing. This picture is old (it is nearly all dressed at this point), but you get the idea.

Dad removed the inner valvesprings to lighten up the pressure during cam break in. I anticipated needing shorter pushrods with the new cam (which has a larger base circle), but the roller tips appeared to be centered on the valvestem... bonus.

The majority of my time recently has been spent sanding and fairing the bilge in preparation for paint. No up to date pics, but theres not much to see anyways. I think one more coat of resin and a quick scuff should have it in decent shape. Here are a couple quick shots after the major grinding and sanding prior to fairing.

During the mock alignment, we ended up using 2 thin SS washers under the rear to get the shaft centered in the log. That would explain why the shaft was riding on the bottom of the log for who knows how long. Also as it turns out, the rear end of the strut was out of round, causing the shaft to bind with the bushings installed, so its currently sitting in the freezer so we can pull one of the new XPC bushings back out and fix the strut.

Getting closer!
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 6:51pm
Looks great. Nice work!
1999 Sport Nautique-Python Powered

1999 Ski Nautique-Python Powered
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 6:55pm
Wow.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 10:48am
You have surely raised the bar from where I left it, top marks!

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 31>
  Share Topic