NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 31>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2009 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

the entire build will consist of coosa. The primaries will be 3 laminated layers of 1/2" bluewater 26. The rest of the ribs and bulkheads will primarily be 1/2", doubled at the floor joints as applicable. The front section of the floor where the front seats mount will be 3/4" with glass on both sides. The rest will likely be 1/2". The front sections that are being foamed will be simply glassed over, save for the raised kickpanel portion, which will be framed with 1/2" coosa to allow for the mounting of panels and accessories.

Sounds like you'll pass Pete's crane dropping test.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 2:18pm

Right now I am planning the stringer layout in CAD- its probably the most fun Ive had with the tool yet.

I could have drawn that in MS Paint!
(in about 6 months)

Just curious, but why are you running 3 tubes the "long" way and 1 the short way. Are they air/ventilation? Is the big tube for cables which you don't want to bend?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Sounds like you'll pass Pete's crane dropping test.

Theres gonna be a test?!

A few quick pictures I snapped after dad put in some good time with the grinder. A few more hours spent grinding next weekend should have it almost ready to start mocking up the new stringers and bulkheads.

All tucked in next to the 454!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Just curious, but why are you running 3 tubes the "long" way and 1 the short way. Are they air/ventilation? Is the big tube for cables which you don't want to bend?

Correct- the 3 tubes on the left are the vent tubes. The one on the right is for the steering cable, control cables, and wiring harness. I want the least number of bends in the cable conduit- Im less concerned with the vent tubes. If I could have fit all the tubes on the right, life would have been easier- but I want the battery box pretty close to centered for weight distribution and access reasons. Pushing the vent tube outlets as far towards the bow as I can has them exiting pretty close to a straight shot from holes in the deck, so minimal 3" hose lengths between them.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 2:39pm
The airbox is definitely usable space. I have a small amplifier sitting flat on our 88 SN. Leave room for a heater core, etc.?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The airbox is definitely usable space. I have a small amplifier sitting flat on our 88 SN. Leave room for a heater core, etc.?

No plans right now for future growth, but Ive laid it out such the vent tubes are as far forward as possible, and the conduit tube is as far towards the rear as I can go without interfering with the kick plate panel.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 5:45pm
uff got some memories back..LOL..it will be a nice post to follow through the slow winter here in the site..LOL
as for custom desing in my floor its holding quite well till now...boat rides very stiff.....
kapla
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 5:52pm
The boat needs some SKI NAUTIQUE decals, for sure.
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 9:50pm
Hollywood,
This is how I setup mine on the 85 ski, it is very difficult to get it all the way forward, but turned out pretty good i guess.

Sorry for the hijack Tim
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 3:04am
Phil, How did you get the kick panel area foamed like that ? Did you form it in wood, pour the foam and then strip the wood ?

Will you then glass over it all ?

Thanks for the information
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2009 at 6:56pm
Well, I *think* the worst is over. We removed all the glass that held the original stringers, ribs and bulkheads in, and removed all the wood in the transom. About a dozen 24 grit flap discs later, final grinding is essentially done.

We've left the edge of the floor in place for a reference as we start to rebuild. It will be removed and final grinding on the walls will be done once the new pieces have been cut and test fit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2009 at 7:20pm
How bad was the ply in the transom?

Otherwise...

And braver than I!
1988 BFN-sold

Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2009 at 7:23pm
Looking good Tim. Keep the pics coming
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2010 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

How bad was the ply in the transom?

It wasnt crumbling, but definitely wet. That center piece was a bear to remove! The angle iron lifting ring mount was a tad questionable looking, so all the wood had to go. The front lifting ring mount still looks great so we havent touched it- but now Im thinking it might be a good idea to get every single last piece of wood out of the boat. Thoughts?
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2010 at 3:26pm
Happy New Year Tim. I do not think my position needs expressing. The only wood in my boats are ply braces under the gunnels
bj
p.s. those pics make me itch.
hasbeenskier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2010 at 4:09pm
I hear you loud and clear, BJ! Id like to see all the gel in the bilge and transom go as well- just trying to figure out what is justified vs. overkill. Maybe Ive got a bit more grinding left to do... just when I finally stopped itching!
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2010 at 6:03pm
Tim....Maybe you mentioned it previously and I missed it, but, were your stringers completely wet/rotted? If you didn't do this rebuild, could the boat have still been run safely with the stringers as they existed? I often wonder the condition of mine in the '76 Southwind.

By the way, very nice work!
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2010 at 6:45pm
Roge' Captain, I chose to get all the gel off. I can say overkill is when you see the ground through the hole. I have also learned when you think you are through grinding....your not!
bj
hasbeenskier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2010 at 7:12pm
BJ, what do you use for grinding? Even the recommended 24 grit flap discs dont last too long with the gel. Only one small break through on the transom so far... no holes in the hull yet!

David, all of the wood was wet. The secondary stringers and a lot of the ribs/bulkheads were rotten. There were several hundred pounds of wet foam in the front of the boat. The main stringers werent complete mush though- so I would guess the boat could have soldiered on for several more years, especially considering how hard we ran it this past summer. We still hadnt noticed any adverse signs of the rot- no gel cracking, etc.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2010 at 7:19pm
Very easy to sit here Tim, warm and not itching and never having done this but personally if you have to question it you'll have to do it just to get it out of your head. Maybe someday you'll want to hang it from the rings and then you will not have to worry. I know, get your Dad to do it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2010 at 7:54pm
Tim, the bow ring on mine didn't look to have any wood in its anchor. It was connected from the ring with a threaded rod down to the 'keel ring'(trailer ring) and into a stainless bracket that also held the keel ring. Not sure that's the name for it. It did have some 4x4 backers under the top ring; mine weren't bad so I soaked 'em in CPES and re-attached the screws from the top. It's solid now.

Only my opinion...I'd get the rest of that gel off and check the rudder port. I know you know that but had to say it.
1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 11:57am
Tim I can take some pictures of my SN front keel mount, I thought it would be toast as my boat had been used in the sea but was still in good shape only surface rust, I think it’s a judgement call as to how wet it was when you took the foam out around it on your BFN.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 1:12pm
Ive been looking into Kingplastics.com, and can see many uses for the stuff, i have some smaller samples, it would really be nice to make the floor with the non-skid 1/2, i never thought about ballast tanks made from the plastic, its weldable and maybe someone has experience with welding it.
looks like next Saturday i"ll be buzzing up to detroit for the cradles and hulls, we got 8" on the ground today and still coming
"the things you own will start to own you"
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 1:15pm

There were several hundred pounds of wet foam in the front of the boat.

Interesting that the wet foam was toward the front of the boat. My boat seems to sit "stern high" in the water when empty, almost to the point of almost having the rear chines slightly above the water line. Maybe thats just the way Southwind's sit in the water, but, I am now wondering if it could be due to the wet foam being toward the front??.

Also, Tim, I see you took out both stringers at the same time. I had read before that some people note that their hulls "distort" in shape when they take both stringers out at the same time. Did you notice that, or did you take precautions to keep that from happening?
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 1:37pm
I wish my SN hull looked like that right now. That looks great!!
I really need a Saturday above freezing so I can do it outside. I have the same question as David. I would prefer to cut all the stringers out, then grind it all at once. I plan to support the boat off the trailer and do them one at a time. I will have to do a little grinding indoors then. If you cut them all out at once, and presumeably moved the boat outside to grind, how do you know you got the boat back to the same shape when you support it?

Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 3:25pm
Eric, good deal! The more I think about it, the nicer it would be to have the cradle in hand before we start rebuilding- so I may have you ship them to me if thats OK. Thanks again, by the way.

Gary, I hear you- but the thing is that the front lifting ring doesnt look to be mounted to any wood, and the metal thats bedded into the hull looks great. Theres no question its solid. There is a hump behind the bow eye that Im guessing has wood in it though... but Im not 100% sure. I think Ill snap a picture to see what everyone thinks. The foam closest to the floor was relatively dry, Roger- so thats another clue that we may be OK. Of course, the transom wood was wet, and there was no foam to blame for that!

Greg, I may spend a little more time with the grinder today and get the remaining gel off- at least that in the keel. Your rudder port was mounted on a wood base, wasnt it? We had our port apart this past summer to re-seal and Dad swears ours is all glass. With all the 5200 we used putting it back together, Im dreading taking it apart again. Maybe Ill grind a bit to see if I hit any wood.

David, the boat sat ass-high in the water last summer- lots of light under the platform, which you can see in my first post on this thread. Allegedly the BFN was born from the Southwind hull, so Im not sure yours should be much different. The front part of the v-hull is obviously the lowest part of the boat, so it collected the most water. Like I mentioned previously, the most obvious contributors were the failed battery box drains and air vent hoses.

Mike and David- you caught us... we decided not to take any precautions to brace the hull with the stringers removed. We've kept it on the trailer and keep wheeling it in and out of the garage to do the grinding. I have to say that the hull remainded very rigid, right up until we removed the glass that had been used to attach the stringers and ribs. Now it will oilcan slightly underfoot when working inside. Im not too worried about the v-hull flexing front to back, though, and the trailer supports are pretty wide, so side to side flexing shouldnt be much of a factor either. We'll find out if we made the right call once we get it back on the water!
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 3:34pm
Tim,

Being as you also have the same boat I am about to dig into, do you believe that would be a safe move with that? I have an original trailer under it, but it is pretty beaten up and I am not sure the bunks are perfectly straight.
Just thinking out loud here. If I were to approach it that way, I would probably jack the boat up with the stringers level both directions, then see where the other parts of the boat sit level/angle wise. Then drop it down to remove the wood, take it outside, have a flap disk party, and then jack it back up to the same angle etc as it was. Does that make sense to attempt? I see myself having to grind a bit in my shop if not, and I REALLY do NOT want to do that at all. I have a couple weeks before the Mustang leaves for a month. I would like to get the stringers replaced in that period.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 3:41pm
Mike, the secondary stringers are out of my '67 and the primaries are still in... the hull doesnt noticeably flex when walking in it. The hull didnt flex a bit on my Tique when I had the stringers out (I didnt support that either), so Im inclined to say that the older, smaller boats dont need the extra support. The narrow beam and thick layup allows the hull to maintain its shape, even with the stringers out.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 9:09pm
Mike - Maybe you could make a X shaped frame gage out of 2x6s so you can judge if it warped from removing both main stringers. Then you would have a known reference.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 1:08pm
i would bet CC doesnt lay the hull in a jig when they set the stringers and probably do close to the same as weve seen on many rebuilds, you are starting fresh again and everthing is custom to its final resting place, such as the engine and cradle...the boat isnt aligning it, you are. i really dont think it is a big concern, but obviously you do want some support under there as a good starting point
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 31>
  Share Topic