NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 31>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 3:07pm
Hey Tim,

Tried to call you this weekend, but from the looks of things you were pretty busy. You think maybe you can give me a call when you get off work tonight? You have the number.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:55pm
Joel, Im surprised no one has mentioned that- youre correct, its fugly. Thanks to Chris (Storm34) we've got an original one going back on once the rebuild is done. For now, that cheesy one does a good job holding the shop light in place.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:47pm
Tim, this may have been mentioned but that steering wheel has got to GO, like, NOW. Worst. Steering wheel. Ever.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

I like how you're doing the ribs all the way across as one piece. Is that typical for this type of Nautique or are you altering that from original?

Thats how the BFN's (and presumably the other v-hulls) were built. We're deviating from original in a few ways- since we're not foaming, we're adding a bunch of ribs (in the rear, to the sides of the secondaries) and bulkheads(in front of the stringers, which go full width). This should provide more support for the hull and floor. Our spacing is ~10-12".

Here is a picture of Buffalo's '88 BFN. He kept his closer to the stock configuration.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:15pm
Oh wow... Hollywood...it's on the tee
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:03pm
Benj,

Looking really good. I agree those weights should be in the fridge, not on the stringers...LOL!

It is pretty surprising how stiff things get huh? I noticed that too. Since my top cap was off, mine was really flimsy as I took things out, until things were back in. The most noticeable for me was when the deck got attached to the outer hull sides.

You are coming along nicely. I like how you're doing the ribs all the way across as one piece. Is that typical for this type of Nautique or are you altering that from original?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 10:27pm
Dad finished glassing the secondaries this week. Its surprising how solid the hull feels now with just the stringers in... still missing all the bulkheads and ribs.

Today we spent perfecting the bulkhead templates and getting them cut out and shaped. Hopefully they'll get pre-glassed this week. Next step after that will be to do the same on the rear ribs, then start cutting holes in all the pieces for the battery box and vent and blower hoses.

Secondaries glassed:

Bulkheads shaped and resting in place:

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 9:17am
im battling 1990 technology, and feel by camming and intake i will get to that 400 mark, I got both engines yesterday, slight dome in the pistons, merc aluminum intake, 2.300 with the 118's. all the right stuff...i could fit a fist in the runners....once in a while i get excited about running a boat, I have 2 on the list, the Zodiac diesel with foot bolsters, and this one
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 11:04am
Eric, from what Ive read, you need a bit of compression on the BBC's to make good power. Im not sure what the Mercs came with for a stock CR... so find out what pistons are in it now. The rectangles should have ~118cc chambers, Im guessing it has either 990 or 088 castings. If you have at least 9:1, then just an intake and a cam swap will have you close to 450hp.

Of course, this is all theory until we get ours wet!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 9:48am
gotta 40 wellcraft coming, not winterized, 2 bbc's, open checkbook and wants more power....if you could only see the smile, once in a while you get the peanuts instead of the shells.
i gotta figure these out, flats with rectangles, 370 stock, i want to get him to the 400 mark...what do ya think Tim, both lefties, maybe I'll go after the pistons...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 2:35pm
Weights are the same as last time... we've been gravitating towards the Sam Summers in dad's fridge!

Dad is hoping to get the secondaries taped in this week. Since theyre so close to the mains, we've decided to lighten the schedule up a little- only going 2/4/8/Biax.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2010 at 10:05pm
they should be on ice, not wood
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2010 at 9:07pm
Those look like brand new weights!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2010 at 4:07pm
Roger, we're using the lip of the old floor as our guide to rebuilding the structure level. The toothing youre seeing in front are where we cut some pieces out to facilitate making templates for the bulkheads.

Secondaries are now bedded.

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 5:27pm
Slick job there Tim, shall be interesting how the toothing you have done under the bow is used.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 5:01pm
Nice clean work guys!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 4:03pm
Quick update... Ive been delinquent with pictures.

Last weekend we got the mains taped down and the keel bedded.

This week Dad filleted and taped down the keel. His first solo glass work... came out sweet.

Today we prepped everything for the top wrap, then got that down.

Prepped:

Wrapped:

The secondaries are cut top and bottom- just need the transom angle put on them. Tomorrow we'll get them bedded.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2010 at 1:03pm
The 496 is the Gen 6 GM big block (8.1L). I dont believe any parts carried over from the earlier versions. The 502 (gen 5) is a slightly taller block than the 454 (mark iv), but many parts interchange- heads, exhaust, etc.

There are a ton of parts for the 496 out there- you just have to know where to look. Not quite as many as the 502/454, but theyre out there. Nothing is cheap on these things!

I found the EMI's on Craigslist in Nevada. We were torn on whether to go old school (aluminum logs) or new school (new header/manifolds) but the price on these was good enough to jump on. While theyre billed as a stock Mercruiser replacement (dimensions-wise), they are several inches taller than the old manifolds we had on there, and a bit wider as well. We may have clearance issues when we drop the box over them. The intake and new valve covers are on their way and the roller rockers showed up last week. Just have to place a misc gasket/bolts/pushrods order and it should be ready to bolt together.

Didnt get as much done on the hull as I was hoping this weekend- too many projects going on at once. The fillets on the mains should be done now, and dad has a bunch of templates in process for the front bulkheads... hopefully we'll get some of this stuff glassed in soon. We did a fit check on the cradle and it set in nicely... so far so good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 11:18am
Tim, thats the old style, if it works it will be just fine...i was critiquing...thats a tough one to spell, you know what i mean
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 10:19am
I have the Python head info somewhere. I just went through a complete computer conversion, when I can get my sh!t together I will post it.

That is a big 6 cubes, Steve.   
Mike N

1968 Mustang

wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 11:55pm
That's very interesting. I did not know that about the big blocks.

Tim-where did you guys find those EMI's? I saw a pair on an offshore boat racing site a few months ago. Curious if that was the same pair
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 11:49pm
Don't really know. I've only read that the 454/502 are interchangeable but the 8.1/496 is not.

PCM made Pythons out of the 502 block until 2002 when they switched to the 496, a 6 cu in difference WakeSlayer will never let me live down.

The only other thing I know is that the 502 is a big bore, stock stroke 454 but the 496 is standard bore, lengthened stroke.

Maybe some harecore bow tie folks know more.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 11:05pm
Raindog, what heads does the 8.1 have. I would think the exhaust ports would be the same on tims 454 as the 496 since hes got rectangular port openings.

Just curious. I dont know much about the pythons but the entice me
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 11:02pm

The blue oil pan is covering the supercharger....

Tim, looking good as always.

I bet the coosa cost you per sheet.

Dave
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 10:28pm
Nice manifolds! New or ebay or ?

I'm itchin' to do some manifolds on the Python. Unfortunately, the 8.1/496 has different exhaust ports than the 454/502 and the selection is limited. Especially used. And expensive.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 4:32pm
Ha, thanks Joel.

Fillets are on the mains (still drying), nothing picture worthy yet.

A few goodies showed up this week... teaser pic:

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 12:35pm
Totally. Awesome.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 12:32pm
Eric, whats the deal with the NSS? The one thats in there worked fine last year.

The beer was mine. I prefer the bottled stuff that Dad buys though- its free and cold.

Roger, everything has worked out great- bouncing ideas back and forth and having 2 sets of hands has really kept us moving.

Alan, yes- the trailer is tall, especially without any weight on it! It should settle a good 4" or so with the weight of the boat. Im not really following about the oil pan... Dad's been in charge of the engine disassembly, so Ill forward your comments to him.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 10:39am
Looking great Tim but 2 comments. 1. Man does that boat sit high on that trailer or what and 2. The oil pan goes on the bottom.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 9:59am
we do have to update your neutral safety switch, blue is fine with me btw, no matter how you wrap it, its still a big boy. lookin good, fire that thing on the ground....I always do with open headers to my prick neihgbor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 31>
  Share Topic