NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2425262728 31>
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

We've been making progress, and Ive even snapped a few pictures... but theyre all on dad's camera. We're shooting to be on the water in 2 weeks- but it'll be tight!

That was going to be my guess. Not that there wasn't any progress, but that now that we're on the home stretch, we'll be waiting on the official "reveal" ideally well timed for 6/11. (give or take)
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 2:17pm
Probably too busy cruising in the ORANGE CRUSH     
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 2:41pm
An understandable distraction.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 3:49pm
Once again, we're overdue for an update. Time for a little bit of catch up...

To accomodate the wider exhaust manifolds, we had to widen the motorbox 3". The first step was to grind off all the gel on the inside, and then cut it in half:

I took the wood out of the rear of the box that served as a backer for the hinges... it was rotten. I attempted to remove the wood from the top of the box, but it was solid (and dry), so it's staying.

Next, I reconnected the top.

And then the front and back.

Now, Im in the process of strengthening the box, and raising it a bit. This will accomodate any future growth in height (intake manifold, carb spacers, etc).

The front side in progress:

I stole a trick from Roger and glassed around a piece of PVC... this piece will be cut in half and then glassed to the front edge of the box to serve as a small relief around the pylon. Ive seen this notch in Ski Tiques and Nautiques- not sure why the BFN didnt get it. Hopefully improving the clearance around the pylon will prevent the aluminum trim from further scraping it up.

The back edge is already done... once the front is dry, then its on to the sides, and then the corners.

In the meantime, we've been making progress on the engine and interior as well.

Only the removeable front panels still need carpet- the trim is complete, as are the pockets, rear panel and battery box lid.

I decided to try my hand at gelcoating, so after a conversion coat of vinylester, the battery box lid, driver's seat pedestal and rear panel all got several coats of gel brushed on.

The gel was great to work with, though completely different than the epoxy. The opaque gel covered great- I will definitely be using it in the bilge on future projects. The brush marks didnt lay down perfectly, but its good enough for the underside of the lid and rear panel. Ill probably spend some time sanding and smoothing the pedestal.

We ran the wire harness and bilge pump lines, and connected the exhaust hoses. Clearance was tight to the panel and motorbox, so we added some 45 degree SS elbows to help make the bend under the floor.

We finished all the work at the transom- connected the speedo lines, wired the light and fuel sender, connected our gas lines and installed the tank.

Dad also put a lot of work into the cooling system- all new hoses and clamps, new 'stat housing, etc. He also rigged up all of the new control cables and brackets and installed the new battery cables.

In an attempt to "pretty" the boat up as much as possible before last week's CT get together, you'll notice we also installed the pylon, steering wheel, and shift knob... hopefully Joel is pleased!

Last night, we cranked the motor for the first time since 2009 and broke in the cam. Other than a few small hiccups, everything went well. Now we need to break down the valvetrain and reinstall our inner valvesprings. Once thats done, theres little keeping us from doing a water test... so it wont be long now!
87MCProstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 4:19pm
Thats awesome Tim! But from someone lucky enough to see the work in person (at last weekends CT gathering) these pictures don't do this boat justice!

Just remember if you need test dummies for barefoot runs I know 3 guys that are just minutes away ;-)
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 4:49pm
can´t wait to see her breaking the 60+ mark!!! jajaja
looking gooood
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 6:20pm
I can scarcely hold back the tears with such a barefoot ski work of art
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 7:13pm
Absolutely fantastic!! Hopefully you'll give me a ride or even better yet allow me to get behind the helm!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 8:12pm
The boat is looking great, Tim. I wish I had noticed the engine box last weekend.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 8:56pm
Thanks guys.

Bruce, the box wasnt (and still isnt) much to look at. We stored it out of sight behind Brad's camper!
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 9:29pm
It's probably been mentioned but 26 pages is too much to search through for this question...

What's the plan for a prop? Same one you guys were running or are you going to have to play around with props till you find the right one for the added HP
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

It's probably been mentioned but 26 pages is too much to search through for this question...

Eric,
Sorry if I missed it but what's the question that requires reading 26 pages?

What's the plan for a prop? Same one you guys were running or are you going to have to play around with props till you find the right one for the added HP

If you haven't noticed, Tim is defiantly "Mr Prop" so I'm sure he has a plan!!
Tim,
Yes, what is the plan? Original prop to start but then see how it spins at a higher RPM?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 10:26pm
That was the question lol
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 10:30pm

That was the question lol

GOT IT!!! Yes, you must understand that Tim is extremely detailed and to the point as being as anal as myself!!! 26 pages proves it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 12:10am

...the box... We stored it out of sight behind Brad's camper!

Yes, we used it as an extra levelling jack, that's why you couldn't see it

Seriously, that motor box is looking good Tim. Nice work there. Taking a sawzall to a perfectly good motor box must have taken some nerve. I had a hard enough time just drilling my bimini mounts.

The customizations you guys are putting into this boat are truly amazing.

Thanks for dragging it up to the lake so we could all get a glimpse.

-Brad
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 7:29am
Real nice Tim
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 9:55am
26 pages, and not one of the transmission, without the transmissions these boats wouldnt be going anywhere, i was just wondering if their like the kid you never wanted, the blacksheep.
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 9:58am
Thread Hijack- Eric, I know your the guru at rebuilding these transmissions are you equally well versed at E40D transmissions? Mines slipping after my trip to the CT mini reunion
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 10:02am
yep, was just talking to one of my guys about his yesterday.
when and where does it slip, how many miles? is the oil burnt? what else can you tell me?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 10:07am
95000 mile oils not burnt, was low but no apparent leaks. First time it slipped was 4th gear going up a hill on the highway with my trailer and empty barracuda behind it. Maybe 2000lbs. Did 3 fast slips in a row before I let off the throttle for it to catch. Otherwise it's done it mostly in second gear with no trailer on the truck. Has slipped maybe 6 times in the past week.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 10:21am
4th gear is actually converter lock up, so you are using more of the oil supply to lock up the converter and that means less to the cooler circuit, do you have a tow button?
I have had the speed sensor go goofy in the rear end and it would cause very similar problems as to what you are describing, have you noticed the speedo going goofy or the abs light coming on intermittantly?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 10:27am
Speedo has been accurate and no weird ABS light but I'll keep my eyes open for it. No tow mode. Trucks a 95 f350 diesel so before the days of tow mode.

I've had nothing but terrible luck with this truck and I keep pouring money into the stupid thing
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 10:35am
it will or should have a speed sensor in the rear end of the truck on top of the pumpkin, its probably a 15.00 dollar part. it tells the computer when to shift and if its sending mixed signals it will throw off shift timing and cause slips....normally.
it still does have a lock-up converter in it and whenever possible you should tow in the unlock up mode which would be 3rd, in locking it will hunt for the right rpm and you are not using the torque converter to its advantage.
thats a first thought on the speed sensor, you gotta keep oil in that thing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 10:38am
I'll find that speed sensor an replace it.

Here's another "clue" about the issue I'm having. Twice the truck has died while driving. Flat out shut off for half a second then kicked back on no problem and once the trans slipped while downshifting into second when I got on the brakes.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 10:44am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

26 pages, and not one of the transmission, without the transmissions these boats wouldnt be going anywhere, i was just wondering if their like the kid you never wanted, the blacksheep.

Come on Eric, did you skip over page 6?

And because Eric was good enough to send me the new cradles, heres an obligatory tranny shot. Yes, the tag is masked off. Thanks again Eric.

Brad, trust me- the motorbox wasnt pretty beforehand, and it wont be too pretty once Im done! So long as its solid and fits over the motor, I'll be happy... it will probably get covered in vinyl eventually anyways. This year we will run it ugly though!

The plan for the prop is to try the one we ran in '09... which is essentially an Acme 1598 (13x14 3-blade with .080 cup). It actually started its life as a 1458 (same prop with .135 cup) and we had some cup taken out when it got dinged up. The power curve up to 4000 RPM or so isnt really any different than it was before- so Im guessing we may be in the ballpark with it. Holeshot before was marginal, but Im hoping the weight loss helps in that department. If we pick up more than 300 RPM with the cam/exhaust/etc then we may need to play around. We spun the 1598 5200rpm before, and our new power peak happens at 5500, so thats where we'd like it to turn in an ideal world.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 10:50am
the speed sensor is also tied into rear abs also,
TR i was pulling your joint and do remember seeing the trans pics, ive been skimming your thread for 2 years now, just waiting for the big day
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 8:44am
Very Nice Tim and Dad!

I didn't see any jabs about originality...are BFN's informally exempt now?

Nice oil pan Tim; it's cast aluminum?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 11:15am
The pan doesnt look like aluminum to me... I assume its the original OMC pan.

We made an honest attempt to keep it looking as original as possible... until you pop the engine cover anyways.

I finished raising all 4 sides of the motorbox and pieced in the corners last night. Hopefully Im just a few days away from being able to brush some gel on it. Pictures to come!
the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2011 at 10:58pm
Tim,
That oil pan looks the same as mine. My dipstick was reading wrong and saying full at around 6qts. of oil. The sump measurements on this pan are similar to a Moroso pan sump that requires 9qts. I'm guesing that the OMC 454 was used in alot of shrimp boats and used this HD oil pan. Check thoroughly! This was a definite cause to my oil pressure problems.
It takes a big hole to bury an elephant.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2011 at 11:25pm
Tim this boat looks awesome! I like the aluminum bracket on top of the strut bolts to mount the steering cable. Is that your idea?
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2425262728 31>
  Share Topic