NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2627282930 31>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 6:20pm
No, but if I could find one big enough, Id slap it on. I suspect that little 11.5x15 2-blade that we tried on the Tique is better suited to the lighter boats that can get out of the water- but who knows. Since that prop seems to be comparable RPM-wise to the small boat props (12x13 OJ and 12.5x12 Acme 3-blades) due to its smaller diameter and minimal blade surface area, I suspect it will be waaaaay too small on a big block.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 10:44pm
Well don't leave out this video....

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 11:58pm
nice sound!

wow that a dirty neutral!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 12:00am
It's a scary fun ride

I was glad to see it (feel it, hear it) in action.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 3:37pm
Tim,

Enlighten me...wouldn't a 14" diam. prop get a better dig for the cavitation issue?
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 4:01pm
For the record Tim, those videos are great. The sound of that 454 made tears come to an old barefooter's eyes. What a fantastic job.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 5:32pm
The more blade surface, the better, when it comes to avoiding cavitation (so I would think) so yes, a larger diameter prop might help some. An increase in pitch seems to be more effective though- the 12.5x15.25 612 cavitates less than the 13x14 and 13x13 wheels.

No room to run a 14" prop though... the original 13x15 Federal was within 1/2" of the hull and left a lot of gel and rudder port damage. The 13" diam Acmes offer a bit more since their blades are raked back a good bit- but still less than 1". Starting somewhere around '81, CC notched the keel aft of the strut (by ~5/8") to allow the use of the 14" props. Most 454 BFN's made after that point came with 14x14's.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 6:06pm
You guys comfortable with notching the keel?

We ran a 15x12 on an MXZ last weekend at a wakeboard competiton behind a LS3 corvette motor making 450hp....still can cavitate that thing.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 7:48pm
We added ~5/8" of glass to the inside of the hull in that area in case we want to notch the keel. But I'm not overly eager to tear the boat back apart just yet. There aren't really any rh 1" shaft props any bigger in diam than 13" in the sizes we're looking at, anyways.

15x12, that's crazy. That's a tiny prop for 450hp, even for a 1:1. I'm guessing that's a v-drive with some kind of reduction to boot?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 8:00pm
Ya its acme's newest prop for wakeboarding. Its a 1.52 I believe with the vdrive. It did 38mph on top end at 5500rpms. But we had that boat loaded with 1350 factory ballast, 2200 in fat sacs, and about 2000lbs in people weight plus the wedge down (theoretical 800lbs) So call it 5500lbs of ballast in a boat that weighs 5000lbs dry. Still got on plane like a champ!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 2:08am
Tim, I'd be interested in what you figure out. I have long term plans for the 67 BB that I have. We are looking at a build that will put out similar HP numbers to your 454. I thought that Mastercraft put out a 14x18 RH prop for the powerslot but I was mistaken. We have one of those lying around and they are LH.

The current setup on my 67 is actually LH. With the scarcity of the BB in those days its possible that Correct Craft put out a few LH rotation boats. I might be inclined to leave it LH. I was going to convert but sounds like it could be a bad idea? I think my prop on the 67 is a 13x16 but I haven't looked at it in a while.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 2:25pm
I've driven a classic CC with a LH prop and would not recommend going that route. Handling was quite disconcerting at times. An overpowered boat would give you more than enough reasons to be scared of going fast, I wouldnt add handling abnormalities from a LH prop into the mix.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 2:58pm
Slap a 1.23 to that bizzzoat and then you can run standard rotation parts
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

Slap a 1.23 to that bizzzoat and then you can run standard rotation parts

(assuming theres room to accommodate the longer trans) I agree that would be preferable... Though the cost of the 1.23 (plus new shaft, prop, etc) isn't insignificant. Proper rh motors in these old boats are just plain cool though.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 3:38pm
Tim, Awesome project ....That motor hits like a muscle car! (A sound we all love) You did an awesome job....as explained through the thread the research, design and selection of engine components is as much work as the build if not more and it is nice to see it come together as planned. Very encouraging!
Thanks.......Tom
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I've driven a classic CC with a LH prop and would not recommend going that route. Handling was quite disconcerting at times. An overpowered boat would give you more than enough reasons to be scared of going fast, I wouldnt add handling abnormalities from a LH prop into the mix.

I can see your point Tim. I'd still love to know what you resolve.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 1:34am
A few more updates and lessons learned as we enter spring of 2013...

1. The cavitation noted above was actually transmission slippage. A fresh rebuild this spring solved it, as well as the terribly dirty neutral shown in the video.

2. On/off nature of the secondaries is now resolved as well. As discussed here, we swapped to a different secondary diaphragm housing (with a pressed in brass insert) and went 2 steps heavier on the spring (white to purple) and we can hold any speed we want.

3. As Ive said a few times when people consider foamless stringer rebuilds, any drain point is also an intrusion point! Found a battery box mostly full of water this spring, so we emptied it. 10 minutes later, its full again. Strange, considering the boat was on the trailer... in the garage. Turns out that the (now drain-less) battery box was the low point every time the boat was stored on the trailer and lift (boat sits a bit nose-low) and thus, a good portion of the water that made its way into the boat drained to the battery box rather than the bilge. The bulkhead on the front face of the batt box (shown below) that was originally meant to be a drain point *just in case* any water made its way under the floor, did just the opposite and let water in instead. Apparently the o-ring seal doesnt quite work as advertised. ~40 gallons of water later, the boat seems to ride a bit higher in the water and has picked up a few mph. So, not all bad news.

For now, we'll just be more careful to keep the nose higher when the boat is stored... but on future rebuilds, a few things would help prevent this from happening. Installing a battery box drain is one of them. Moving the drain access point to another (higher) location is another.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 7:26am
Great update Tim....thanks for sharing
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

~40 gallons of water later, the boat seems to ride a bit higher in the water and has picked up a few mph.

What does that make your top speed now? 65ish?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 4:32pm
About time Dave, Tims been waiting all week for someone to ask that question
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

About time Dave, Tims been waiting all week for someone to ask that question

Someone else sort of quasi kind of asked that question earlier this week. I was going to provide what I believe was the answer based on a conversation Tim and I had at WL, but decided it was his place, not mine, to provide. Still true.
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 4:46pm
He better brag about these top speeds while he can before a faster BFN pops up .
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 4:54pm
My guess is he's had the picture all loaded up on photobucket ready to link since monday morning.. and that he has a while before he has to look over his shoulder for another bfn.. .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 5:44pm
"Will you still need me, Will you still feed me...."
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 5:47pm
Apparently Larrys info is out of date.. thats what he gets for leaving early
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 5:48pm
Figured as much...that'll teach me.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 5:50pm
Larry, your a couple shy... more like where you get your kicks....
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 7:00pm
Ha, I was only semi-disappointed that no one had asked yet! I wasnt going to bring it up, but since Dave thinks our time at the top will be limited, we might as well enjoy it. Like CQ implied:

We'll see how repeatable that is... my guess is that White Lake was providing pretty optimal conditions with the fairly cool water and low altitude. A little chop, a full tank of gas and a few bodies in back didnt hurt either. Ran 66 on both runs we tried there- if we see a consistent 64.x at home this summer, we'll be pretty happy.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 7:22pm
Tell us about how it handled at those speeds?

Ready to hunt down some big rollers on Green Lake again?
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 7:24pm
Wow that must be a thrill! Have you experienced any undesirable behavior running fast? Would love to see a video of a speed run if one exists.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2627282930 31>
  Share Topic