NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2728293031>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 7:37pm
The v-hulls handle speed well... no dangerous tendencies that we've encountered yet. Probably due to the fact that the boat is up and walking on the keel- and the chines are way up out of the water. The nose still plants in the upper 50's, but not dangerously so- and a little less pronounced now without all the extra water weight up there.

Id still say that going fast (even if incrementally slower) in a flat bottom boat is more of a thrill, but this is pretty fun too. Kinda cool how nonchalantly it runs at 50, and can take off pretty strong from there. It sounds half way decent, too- not like any other CC Ive heard.

Pretty sure Larry's brother took some video... and I'll try and remember to take some once the boats go back in the water.

What Im really excited about is the way the boat foots... took my first boom set on the boat at WL and didnt have any spray to contend with on my backdeeps. As much speed as you want- and it doesnt even sound like its working hard. Should be a great rough water barefoot boat- which should hopefully lead to more sets this summer.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 7:53pm
It was pretty cool to hear it roar away from us at WL..... then the secondaries cut in! It was AWESOME!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 8:32pm
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 2:48am
Looks and sounds quite tame until 0.14 when you give it WOT.

Sounds like the prop is having trouble gripping, the rpms jump instantly.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
LilRichard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 11:08am
It looks like there is a ton of prop wash pouring out the back until the boat suddenly "catches up" (for lack of a better term) to the propeller speed. Then it cleans up instantly. Is that what is happening there?
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 11:46am
oh my, that thing sounds wicked.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 11:58am
Originally posted by LilRichard LilRichard wrote:

It looks like there is a ton of prop wash pouring out the back until the boat suddenly "catches up" (for lack of a better term) to the propeller speed. Then it cleans up instantly. Is that what is happening there?

No... since the tranny rebuild, engine rpm is pretty much tied directly to prop spin and forward motion- no real slip or "catching up" to speak of. What youre seeing in the video is when the nose plants in the upper 50's. We believe it to be the point where the steep strut angle can no longer be overcome by the other factors trying to keep the nose up. The boat runs quite a bit faster if we can keep this from happening- running with a full tank of gas, a back seat full of people and across a choppy lake are amongst the conditions under which the GPS will read speeds shown in the picture I posted earlier. Run it with a few people in front and let the nose plant as shown in the video, and it'll "only" run a tick over 60.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 12:04pm
Damned ole big block!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 12:30pm
Very cool, it sounds even more impressive live and in person!

So Timmy, whose going to get back there and do some speed runs? Think you could get 60 pulling a light guy like HW?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 12:41pm
Scott Monahan was ready to do a full speed doubles run with me at WL... not sure if those guys are coming to GL or not, but I'd probably be up for trying it- at least once.

Heck, with a good load off the Fly High, the nose runs higher than normal- so maybe it'll run 70!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 12:44pm
70 on the FlyHigh = 50 on the boom ?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 1:19pm
The faster you go, the easier it is, lol.

Does not look like you are porpoising at all, not sure if the high pull would change that?? Me and Brian Harlen did some high speed runs behind Reids orange Mustang, we (I) needed to move the ropes to the lift ring because the porpoising was so bad the rope on the pylon was pulling/slacking to the point of causing butt checks.

With just 1 guy and the right setup you probably won't lose that much speed, think 60 may be attainable??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 1:24pm
This boat doesnt porpoise... it gets up and rides on the keel instead.

I was serious- the boat might go faster with a footer in tow if it helps keep the nose up. I dont think it would slow it down.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 1:25pm
Cottonelle, last time I checked 70 was faster than 60.
LilRichard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 1:51pm
Makes sense, less wetted hull area. I was wondering what the dramatic change was, and you answered it. Wicked!
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 12:51am
Tim,

Beautiful water for a "short" barefoot run and WOW! I've never seen that whole side of the lake go by so fast. I also was thinking that a footer on the fly-high would help lift the bow q little and increase the speed, too!   A footer or two will not slow that machine!! I've footed in the high 40's, but at 60+, there ain't much of your heels left in the water.

Anyway, testing always helps, and I'd start a $100 donation to the Tyler Lake Ski Club if you could get Hollywood and Gregg on a full throttle run!!

UT
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 1:21am
Very nice Tim. Your boat sounds and runs awesome, Sounds like my old 1970 LS6 Chevelle engine. Thanks for all the support on my motor redo.
Thanks.......Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 3:33pm
Resurrecting this thread with some of the more recent updates on our '79.

We ran the boat in the '15 Buckethead barefoot race and it ran well, but developed an engine tick... so last winter I rebuilt a spare 454 block to transplant. Found some scuffed pistons and questionable bearings when the bottom end finally came apart- it was due. Huge thanks to Joe for helping with the shortblock assembly last summer. Upgraded oiling, cooling, and oil cooling will be some of the improvements when it is finally back together. Still some plumbing and wiring left to do, but the engine is back in the boat and aligned now. Trans was swapped out for a newer 10-18 that hopefully won't pop out of gear on hard launches.

I already documented last winter's hull mod project in this thread: notched keel. Haven't splashed it yet so the jury is still out on the exact effects.

In addition, I rewired the boat front to back... including hooking up the heater (new hidden switch), installing the 12v aux ports in the pockets, under gunnel lighting, etc. The smoke test went well a few months ago. New amber LED's in the gauges, and I built a second 80mph GPS Airguide.

This winter and spring, I made some changes to the seating... shout out to Andy at Leftfield Engineering for the custom fab work. I lowered the driver's seat 2" so I will actually look through the windshield now. I also had a bracket made up to gullwing the observer seat and gain easier access to the cavernous under-bow storage space (no holes drilled in dash).

Before:

After:

Next up are the aforementioned finishing touches on the engine and to get the boat back in the water. Then a pylon swap and some trailer work. Zach helped me get a period-correct tandem (#4DV-T) from OK that is currently in resto-mode.

Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 4:05pm
I love the hinge on the observer seat.   Did you source it from a later model or fabricate it yourself?
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 4:09pm
Sorry, guess I didn't read the post close enough to see you had it fabricated. Do you have any pictures of how it mounts? Can Leftfield Engineering build some more of theses?   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 4:28pm
I'll shoot you a PM.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 4:42pm
Subtle yet major changes, nice work
hal2814 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hal2814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Wisky Badger Wisky Badger wrote:

I love the hinge on the observer seat.   Did you source it from a later model or fabricate it yourself?

This. I would LOVE to have a bracket like that. If there's anything I hate about my 83 Ski it's that stupid observer seat that's always sliding out of its floor hinges and that I have to tilt forward to put gear in.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 12:19am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Scott Monahan was ready to do a full speed doubles run with me at WL...

"still crazy after all these years"

I propose a number of high speed multiple runs at lake x.....

john

edit: can I drive?
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 12:24am
Nice work Tim
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 12:27am
Speed runs at Lake Zohar mini that we need to start planning.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 1:42am
What a great build...sounds awesome on that video clip
1989 nautique
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 11:55am
Some more fine work by TRB and Gang. Cant wait to get into / behind this beast
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 12:01pm
Tim,
Nice work however, it seems you are veering off into the bling with the under gunnels!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 12:15pm
No bling here, just functional upgrades. Trying to keep the outward appearance stock, look more closely and it's anything but... This boat gets used as intended, and used hard. We do enough skiing at dusk (and the occasional midnight cruise) to justify the lighting. No more unloading in the dark. Got a pair of lights to add to the Skier also.    Dad had them in the '92 from the factory (I believe) and they were handy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2728293031>
  Share Topic