NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 31>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 12:29pm
Not to worry, this build will be well documented. Like I mentioned earlier, the front few sections will be foamed. The purpose of that is 3-fold:

-lengthen the window of time before the boat goes to the bottom, should it swamp.
-sound deadening at the area where the water breaks on the hull (especially over waves)
-support the floor (the coosa section of floor in front of the engine box will be 4' long... forward of that will be glass over foam).
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 4:56pm
Sounds like a good plan. Same way for the skier?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Sounds like a good plan. Same way for the skier?

As far as putting foam in the front cavities, maybe- maybe not. If I had to guess, Id say yes- but we havent made that decision yet. Like I detailed in Okie's thread, the Skier's structure will be rebuilt with wood rather than composite. Many of the methods and schedules will be very similar or the same, though.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 7:19pm
Tim, With all these boats and their diagrams and spreadsheets I think it's time you hire a full time assistant.

Where do I submit my resume?!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Tim, With the spread ass.

Where do I submit?!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 7:35pm

Forget spell check, I need to get Hollywood check before I post!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 7:52pm
I wonder if Tim knows about your 5 star facials?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 4:25pm
Tim, I tried to find my composite training manual but couldn't find it. I did talk to the instuctor and he was gonna try and dig one up for me.
We discussed different applications of the forementioned and this is what DAL uses for most of the composite work done around here.

Microballoons - Used as a filler and for bonding honeycomb core to the base of structural panels. (ie:for bonding stringers to the floor)

Cabo-sil - primarily used to thicken resin in applications. Used for fillers as well.

Milled Fibers - Used to repair small areas of damage in composite parts. The strength from all layups is satuation of epoxy to your cloth. Compression too is key it provides a tighter bond between plies.

I didn't see any tongue depressors on your list or a wallpaper roller like Greg mentioned. Also Solo cups work great for mixing resins and additives. I'm guessing you can find thenm at walmart, Sams or BJ's.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 6:15pm
Tim, great info- thank you!

I removed all my ancillaries from my USC list in hopes of finding them locally for cheaper. I had mix buckets, paint brushes, etc on there... hopefully Harbor Freight has them.
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 7:21pm
GUY"S:........

Harbor Freight does carry the paint brush's by the box... Cheaper than USC.

They did not have the mixing cups. I bought a sleeve of 50 1 quart mixing cups from USC .. They are marked on the edge for easy measuring. After I mixed foam in them I wiped them out with a rag, then washed inside with acetone for reuse.

Mix the Resin in the same containers and after they sit and dry, the left over residue will pop right out for reuse.

I have already used 200 disposable latex gloves (Harbor freight carries them) I have used probably 50 of the brush's. I just throw them away.

I found that the tounge depressors are a little small for mixing in a quart container... I bought some of the mixing sticks from USC.. just wipe them off and reuse.

Hope this helps some others as they decide what materials to buy making their project easier to manage.

dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 8:15pm
I noticed Home Depot and Lowe's carry those same mixing containers that USC carries. They seem to be similarly priced.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 8:21pm
Dennis, Andy- great info- thank you. I agree that brushes only get one use and are then junk. Ive got a lot of latex gloves left over from my last stringer job, thankfully. If the stuff is available locally for similar prices (or cheaper) then it doesnt make sense to ship them from Florida!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 8:32pm
All good info from Dennis, I will only add that if you have a local body shop supply they often sell paint mixing cups in bulk that work relatively well.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 3:40pm
Not a whole lot going on with the rebuild lately, but the material orders have now been placed! I went with 6 sheets of Coosa- (1) 3/4" B26, (4) 1/2" B26 and (1) 1/2" B20. Hopefully it will leave us with enough material to build the interior panels, etc. Daryl from Hamilton Marine in Searsport, ME hooked me up with a decent discount, so we're looking at under $1500 shipped to our door.

I dont believe anything changed from the last glass order I posted. We removed the talc, and added the mixing cups back in, as H-F didnt have them and Home Depot was 50% more expensive. H-F did have brushes and all the other ancillary materials though. With any luck, US Composites will have the stuff to my door sometime next week.

I have a few other projects keeping me busy, but Dad did pull the engine apart far enough to identify the pistons. Turns out we've got some huge domed slugs that give us a CR of 10:1. Thats good news, as it should respond well to a cam upgrade. Still doing my research here, but worst case, we're looking at having our current cam reground. I will report back with what I find for all the BBC fans. Should be good for about 450hp, maybe a bit more with an exhaust upgrade.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 5:57pm
Pics for us BBC fans? That helps to explain the 59 mph of the barefoot. I'm hoping to see on the site that you guys break into the 60mph bracket with the diet the barefoots going through. Should be interesting!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 1:52pm
With the weight loss and power increase, 60 is the goal... should be close. All of our boats ran exceptionally strong at Lake George- until that 58.5 run we'd only seen 55-56.x consistently at home.

Here's a piston shot. These, the heads and intake basically make this a pieced together version of the 425hp GM LS6 crate motor (minus the cam).

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 2:07pm
sht, you get that with 93 octane on a BBC
"the things you own will start to own you"
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 2:19pm
How about the idea of running c16 in a secondary fuel tank this summer in the BFN
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2010 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

With the weight loss and power increase, 60 is the goal... should be close. All of our boats ran exceptionally strong at Lake George- until that 58.5 run we'd only seen 55-56.x consistently at home.

Here's a piston shot. These, the heads and intake basically make this a pieced together version of the 425hp GM LS6 crate motor (minus the cam).

I may have missed this but 1) was there something wrong with the engine (besides not being powerful enough) or is this the Benjamin sickness at work here to do a HG job for kicks? 2)Have you determined whether this was some crazy stock engine or if it had been modified with these pistons and head?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2010 at 3:48pm
Nothing wrong with the engine per se, but there was no way we were going to have it out of the boat and not open it up to see what we had. We ran a compression test, pulled the casting numbers off everything and are inspecting everything we can. The only thing we havent done yet is is to pull the oil pan and inspect the bottom end. Everything else so far looks great.

Heres what we found:

-The intake originally came on the 1968-69 HO 396 and 427 motors rated at 425hp.
-The rectangle port heads are one of the more common GM HO heads, again usually found on 425hp crate engines.
-The pistons give the package 10:1 compression.
-The block may be original to the boat. The casting number isnt definitive but we think its a 2-bolt not a 4-bolt.
-We havent measured, but everyone I talk to seems to think we've still got the original 330hp RH cam in it.

Long story short, its a far cry from the 330hp stocker, which had about 8.2:1 compression matched to peanut port heads. It was probably pieced together by a previous owner, but it was likely rebuilt as there arent many pieces left with the OMC blue paint. I still think our original 400hp estimate is pretty close- once we pull the cam we should be able to confirm that. The best news is that less than $500 in parts should get us another 50hp or so.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2010 at 4:03pm
Tim, if the compression is good and you don't need to rebuild it, will you replace the bearings anyway while you have the oil pan off?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2010 at 4:19pm
Bruce, compression is good. If the bottom end looks as good as the top, then I doubt we'll touch it. We're not looking to do extra work... just checking for obvious problems while its out. So far so good. We have the means to pull it should it ever have an issue, but its not something we're looking to do on an annual basis.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 2:20am
Kinda quiet this weekend Tim so we are expecting some pictures!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 12:08pm
My coosa order didnt come in as expected, and only half my US Composites stuff showed up on Fri... so no progress to report. The next 2 weekends will be quiet, so dont expect much until March!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 3:12pm
Ok, March is here- time to get back on track. The coosa finally showed up a few weeks ago, as did all the stragglers from the US Composites order, so no more excuses.

We got a few things done this weekend... the first new glass is in!    Glad to see this thing going back in the right direction. The first thing was to build the keel up 5/8" on the inside, in case we decide to notch the outside at some point in the future. BJ has some experience in this, as discussed in this thread.

After that, we faired a few minor things, then laid some biax on the keel from front to back. We also put a strip down where we removed a *tad* too much glass from the hull when we were in destructo-mode.

Next, Ill mark up the hull where all the new pieces will be installed. Then its time to start making stringer and bulkhead templates.

Eric, I need those cradles so I know how wide to set my primaries!

Oh, and I took some measurements to see how much the hull is deflecting while sitting on the trailer... Mike made me worry! Looks like its sagging about 1/8" right under the bunk. Not much, but we'll block it anyways, just to be safe. The hull runs fast so we dont want to mess with success!
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 4:10pm
What a nice clean canvas to start with. I wish I could get mine to look like that. Doesn't matter really, but sheesh. You eat off the hull in there.
Interesting on the trailer sag. I don't really know what mine sagged once off the trailer, but it changed several measurements and just the spacing was obvious. We still supported it but did set part of the weight on the bunks. Every thing fit better.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 3:28pm
Looks great Tim! I think I am going to block my hull as well. I can lift up on the rear and see the flex where there are no stringers. I hope that will reduce some of the gap in the back of my stringers.

Where you put the biax over the rudder plate spot, do you recut the hole from the bottom with a hole saw?. I am looking a little thin there after grinding and thought some extra build up might be a good thing.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Looks great Tim! I think I am going to lift up the rear and flex the gap in the back, the hole from the bottom. I am looking a little thin there after grinding and thought some extra build up might be a good thing.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 9:15pm
It has rained all day and your photos motivated me to go down and spend a couple of hours on my BFN project.
bj
hasbeenskier
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 8:56pm
Tim....Question for you regarding the old foam in your boat. Was it evenly saturated with water, or did you find it was more saturated toward the front or rear of the boat? Was any foam completely dry?

Just trying to get a feel for what to expect if I decide to replace the foam in my boat.

Thanks!

Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 31>
  Share Topic