NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

neck braces

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: neck braces
    Posted: December-14-2009 at 12:43pm
Looking for input/feedback on neck braces. So far I know of two. Barefoot central's which is supposedly the definitive brace. Only downside I can think of is, it's pricey ($100)(but then so is being paralized from the neck down)

An alternative is the Lake Elmo one ($45), which I have seen (Brad has one)but that I passed on trying because it appears to me that the buckle in the front could OJ your throat pretty easily.

After watching a football game last week, I noticed what some of those guys wore. ($50) (too bulky?)

Any one have any other ideas?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 1:52pm
I have the BFC one. The buckle into my adams apple does not look fun.

I don't wear my BFC brace with my drysuit, Chuck says you can and I've seen him wear one with his Ocean Rodeo suit, but it ain't happening with my OS Breeze. I suppose you could wear the Elmo one over a drysuit just fine.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I have the BFC one. The buckle into my adams apple does not look fun.

I don't wear my BFC brace with my drysuit, Chuck says you can and I've seen him wear one with his Ocean Rodeo suit, but it ain't happening with my OS Breeze. I suppose you could wear the Elmo one over a drysuit just fine.

I can wear my Barefoot International one with my drysuit. Its a bit bigger than the BFC one.

I never back barefoot without my neck brace on.

Tim

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 4:48pm
Tim,

I'm not familiar with a BI neck brace. Looked all over his website but can't find it. Can you help me track it down?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Tim,

I'm not familiar with a BI neck brace. Looked all over his website but can't find it. Can you help me track it down?

I don't know if they make them anymore??

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 7:54pm
Recently bought one from BFC. Think it's well worth it.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

[QUOTE=Hollywood] I have the BFC one. The buckle into my adams apple does not look fun.

Tim

Neither do I Tim. But then again, I've never back barefooted.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2009 at 12:42am
Another model is available from Ron Scarpa. It is similar to the Lake Elmo model but with velcro rather than a buckle and priced at $50.

Having said that, along with the others, I own the BFC brace....
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2009 at 1:43pm
I had a football "cowboy collar" because I had it laying around. I never had any issues while using it other than it wasn't very comfotable.

I then got a Scarpa after going to his clinic. Soon after I had a bad backward fall and really screwed my neck up. It hurt my neck just below where the brace was. I threw it away. (Neck is still screwed if I sleep wrong)

I then did some research and bought the Barefoot Central brace. It is much better and I have not had any more issues with whiplash. It is well worth the extra money!!!
1999 Sport Nautique-Python Powered

1999 Ski Nautique-Python Powered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2009 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

[QUOTE=Hollywood] I have the BFC one. The buckle into my adams apple does not look fun.

Tim

Neither do I Tim. But then again, I've never back barefooted.

Ill come up and teach you....or you can come over here.... :)

Tim

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 2:24am
We use the BFC model here. No backwards without it. Well no footing at all for me for 6 weeks. Tweaked my right knee a good one a few weeks ago. Tried the "man cure" (it'll go away) but gave up and went to the Orthopedic dr today. Strained ligaments...told to stay off it. Not to easy with my work. Well I'll just have to drive for Eddie for awhile.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:07pm
come on do you guys wear helmets too
davee40
lakeland,fl
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:10pm
Maybe we just aren't as tough as you.

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:40pm
my point is if if you have to wear all that gear then stop barefooting
davee40
lakeland,fl
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:46pm
send me a picture of any well known even over the age barefooter wearing booties a neck brace and a helmet .dont exist    
davee40
lakeland,fl
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:47pm
duly noted

this is the neckbrace thread, not booties and helmets
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:50pm
When I went to Scarpa's barefoot school he wore a neck brace even when he shoe skied. He is actually the one who convinced me it was safer to use a neck brace. Like I said, maybe you are tougher than all of us.

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:51pm
didnt mean to touch a nerve just voicing an opinion
davee40
lakeland,fl
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:51pm
He also taught me to wear padded shorts under my suit. Should I stop footing because of that too?

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:53pm
i skied with scarpa in winterhaven when he lived down the street and never saw a neck brace
davee40
lakeland,fl
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:54pm
Thank you for your opinion, it's been very helpful.
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:56pm
It has been mentioned in this thread that the neck brace is more for Backwards footing, why is that?
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:56pm
Maybe I imagined it, I didn't live down the street from him.

Thank you for your opinion, it has really helped the original poster with his question.

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:56pm
GARSH YOU GUYS ARE SO SENSITIVE
davee40
lakeland,fl
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:57pm
The neck brace makes me that way. feminine=sensitive

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 8:58pm
i dont know wacko do you take to heart every thing you hear
davee40
lakeland,fl
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:01pm
Can't speak for Wacko, but I do

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:07pm
oh come on hollywood are you being facetious
davee40
lakeland,fl
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by davee40 davee40 wrote:

come on do you guys wear helmets too

Yup....on my Hydrofoil.

Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by davee40 davee40 wrote:

i dont know wacko do you take to heart every thing you hear

I was just wondering what the reasoning was? It doesn't seem like my neck would be at more risk when footing backwards? Not trying to add to the argument just asking for my own curiosity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic