Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JShank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JShank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop Help
    Posted: December-17-2009 at 1:04am
Looking for help.
I have a '74 Southwind w/ a 351 looking for prop suggestions.

Thanks

Jason
jshankleton@gmail.com
Southwind 20
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 11:41am
Jason,
We need some info. What prop is on it now? (dia. and pitch) What's the WOT? What do you want to do - better hole shot - better top end? What's the condition of the engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 1:27pm
Acme 541.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Acme 541.

You sure about that Tim?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:07pm
Guys....What is the differnce in the AMCE 541 vs. 542....other than one:)??

I talked to someone at Acme several months ago just to see what they would recommend for my Southwind 18 and they indicated the 542 which is a 13" diameter, 11.5 pitch (seems low), and .080 cup.

Does this recommendation make sense? I would like to be able to get the boat to around 42 MPH. I have two 13 x13 props. The more beat up prop of the two get me to 38ish, and the better one only gets me to 35 mph.

Hollywood has a prop he will let me try in the spring. Not sure what size he said it was again??   
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Guys....What is the differnce in the AMCE 541 vs. 542....other than one:)??

One's a bacerds turnin' prop, t'other's snot (little smaller too)

ACME Props
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Acme 541.

You sure about that Tim?

Yes.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:19pm
davidg, I have a 540 on the boat right now we could take off if you want to run that too. I'm thinking you should just trailer over to Twin Lakes and you can try all 3 in one day. Grab some beers with Kenny then hit the hot tub!

MW Federal 13x12
MW Federal 13x13
ACME 540

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:34pm
I would run a make-shift prop made out of a rusty beer can before I am going in that hot tub

Hollywood....The 540 is one I would really like to try. It has a 12.00" dia. Should be better for top end. Is that the one you were talking about a few weeks ago? I thought you were talking about a Federal, or other brand??

Either way, I will give them a try. There has GOT to be a way to get this tub over 40 mph. Maybe I have a slow hull.

Tim....The 541 appears to be LH rotation. Right dimesions, just wrong rotation for a CC, unless I missed something on the ACME chart??

Dave

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:44pm
What do you guys think about these ACME's for a Southwind? They have a 14" pitch vs. the 11.5 or 12" pitch. Is that too much pitch for these boats?

1598 13.00 14.00 .080 cup 3 1" RH
1458 13.00 14.00 .135 cup 3 1" RH
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 4:47pm
Not too much for your boat, but too much for your engine. Those are basically big block Barefoot Nautique props.

We also have a 14x14 OJ Legend to try if you think you can turn it. How's your hull clearance?
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 5:04pm
I don't think the hull clearance would work for a 14". I only have ~1/2" clearance now.

It would be an interesting exercise to try your different props to see which one works best with my motor/hull.

Which prop do you like best on your '88, and why?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 5:13pm
The ACME. We probably don't have the healthiest engine to compare top speed props on, but it comes out of the hole significantly quicker and harder and much less vibration. I have not used a CNC OJ. The OJ Legends seem to be some of the faster top end props.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 5:22pm
Just like HW said, you dont want the 1458 or 1598 on a 351w powered Southwind- too much boat, not enough engine. Ive tried both of those props on our 55+mph 454 BFN and actually prefer the smaller of the two.

I agree that you probably cant fit a 14" diameter on a SW- our '79 BFN (no rear notch) has minimal clearance with a 13" wheel, and the hulls are supposed to be the same.

New CNC props tend to be more accurate in their dimensions. You'll see sizes like 13x12 (540 and 541) and 13x11.5 (542). Older non-CNC props just rounded their dimensions off. A 13x12 Acme doesnt spin too many more RPM than an equivalent 13x13 stock prop. In some cases, it will actually spin less- its all dependant on the condition of the stock prop.

Regardless, I think you'll find that the Acme's are at least as good as anything out there when it comes to efficiency- meaning they will transfer engine RPM's into speed. They'll also be great out of the hole, smooth, and hold speed well. Theyre the hands down choice on a modern ski boat, and in my opinion, a decently fast prop. Some of the fastest boats on the site run Acme props. The fastest running delinquents (Boat Dr. and Marshall Morgan) both have big-cube motors in small boats- and Acme doesnt make a prop for their application. Ive found that stock-ish boats will still run faster with an Acme- even the small 16-footers (and yes this was GPS verified on multiple boats). Just FYI.

David, long story short, try the 540. I think you'll love it. Theres a reason everyone here raves about it.

I suggested the 541 to Jason because unless Im mistaken, he's got a non-original LH motor in his Southwind. The 541 is the same prop as a 540, but LH.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 5:36pm

I suggested the 541 to Jason because unless Im mistaken, he's got a non-original LH motor in his Southwind. The 541 is the same prop as a 540, but LH.

I should have known better than to doubt you.    Slightly important info he left out there.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 6:05pm
I have two new Oj's here, one a 13X13 force.
I like the Acme's initial performance characteristics, however they seem to loose their shape and loose performance because of the thin blades and blade root. I also prefer the Oj because of it's robustness. we run a Oj on our 09 409 Correct Craft 196, it tends to out perform the 668 Acme that it came with in both deep water acceleration and top end. It also dropped the RPM at slalom speeds around 40 rpm's.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:18pm
Yeah Jody now you can call me a missouri boy, cause you got to show me that to believe it. Especially the losing shape and losing performance, I have seen old federals and legends that looked undamaged and unrepaired and yet were dogs... just worn out perhaps, never particularily good to begin with more likely. But I have never seen it with an acme cnc prop and I don't buy it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 12:55pm
Joe,
You don’t see 500 hours on a boat per year either! Over at the ski school over 1500 hours a year get put on 2 boats. Joe do you support and operate as a factory rep at 6 major pro/world events each year? Also do you participate and drive nearly 25 record tournaments a year? Do you prep boats for these record tournaments???Have you driven the US Nationals three times? And driven the Moomba 11 times? Have you driven 5 world records in all three events? Do you have over 40 years experiance as a boat builder, boat racer and tournament skier? So if you did you would see what I have seen with the product over the last 8 years. Joe you go on drinking that ACME Kool-Aid and my boats will run circles around your ACME equipped boats.
When ACME first came on line at the factory I did all the initial testing and performance work with the product. It took OJ a few years to come out with a better mouse trap but CNC they did. I have a stack of ACME wheels here in my shop that took light hits from turtle’s small sticks and are so thin in the blades they bend and vibrate or small chunks out of them. I don’t see much of that with the OJ product. Also their are only two people that I know of that can repair an ACME and get it right and that’s the ACME factory and Skip Dunlap. I like the ACME product but have also seen over the years their weakness and feel that the Oj product is a superior product.
Diversity is what makes the world go round I will keep pushing the Oj product and if you don't buy it! Oh well!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Joe you go on drinking that ACME Kool-Aid and my boats will run circles around your ACME equipped boats.

Jody, I havent seen the issues with the Acme's that youre describing, I just know they outperformed the comparable OJ's (Legend and XMP) when I tried them back to back. Ive had 2 Acme's repaired with good results- performance was unchanged. Any decent prop shop can repair them, so long as they have the correct pitch blocks.

As far as running circles around Joe's boat, thats a tall order. Dont forget that his 2001 has run 59+.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 1:41pm
I doubt the southwind is putting 1500hrs per year or many record runs, either brand should last a while
Brian
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 2:33pm
Jody no one doubts your credentials and I don't feel the need to parade mine but facts is facts. Considering in the past you refused to be believe possible what at least a dozen of us had seen with our own eyes until we posted a picture I don't feel the slightest bit out of line asking you to "show me".

I haven't drank any ACME coolaid, I run whatever prop is best for a boat and the purposes I put it to sometimes its an OJ, sometimes an ACME. I have said many times and will say again many times that OJ is a great company to work with, thier service can simply not be beat. In fact I believe it is the custom 4 blade OJ 13.5 x 17 Eric Johnson made me that will take my 83 into the lower 60's. That being said ACME makes a superior product for many of the boats on this site, the difference in peformance on a stock engine 1:1 boat between the acme 3 blade and the OJ force is huge. The legend 3 blade is closer to the acme for that application, but still not quite as good in any way.

So you can as an OJ dealer keep serving up the OJ koolaid and paint an entire acme product line as being inherently deficient, but until you "show me" that to be true I am going to continue to recommend what I have seen work for the boat and usage being discussed.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 3:01pm
Hey no worries! Kinda like chevy vs Ford.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2009 at 1:42pm
so Jason needs a 541?
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic