Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changed my Prop and...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Alan-S View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changed my Prop and...
    Posted: May-05-2005 at 5:54pm
It was too easy, which is why I am worried. I don't have a prop puller but I was out working on the boat when the UPS truck pulled up and decided to try changing out the prop with the tools I had at the boat. Pulled the pin, spun off the nut, 3 light taps on the back of the old prop and it fell right into my hands. Slid the new prop on, spun on the nut and inserted the old pin, 2 min. max. I put 12 hrs on the boat last weekend it's super smooth. Do I need to try to press the new prop on tighter, and get another turn out of the nut? Or did i just get lucky? 2001 SAN 950 hrs on original prop.
Rosser View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2005 at 7:44pm
You got lucky
Texas88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2005 at 1:40am
Alan-S,

Inquiring minds want to know what prop you bought, how many rpm's and how fast with plus or minus two people.

Thanks,

Bryan A. Texas 88 Ski
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2005 at 3:00am
Sounds like your bragging! Thats the sign of a "well fit" wheel & shaft. What size wheel did you install?
NO LONGER A MEMBER
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2005 at 9:06am
CC runs right hand and this lets the prop go to the nut. Left hand runs up the shaft. When installing the new wheel put on shaft without the key and spin by hand to seat the prop to the shaft. Then install with key, replace the castle nut with a 3/4 sae air craft style nut.
CC no longer use the castle, cotter pin, style nut.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2005 at 11:24am
Maybe I am stating the obvious here but that last post is confusing me a little: When the boat is running forward the prop is has a force applied that is pressing it forward. When ran in reverse the prop is pulled towards the nut regardless of whether it is LH or RH.

In any case, I would be concerned too if my prop fell off when I backed off my nut. When thinking about it, I would be concerned anytime my prop fell off.

I have to agree with Rosser - you got lucky.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2005 at 4:23pm
Lots of them did
Alan-S View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 5:18pm
ACME 13.5X16X1-1/8RH (536)

Top speed - 46+
w/tanks emptied and 4 people around 600 lbs and 4 boards on racks (wind resistance). I don't like to hold her open for long, but the sweet spot for cruising was at 3600-3800 rpm 36-38 mph. confirmed by Perfect pass and Factory gages.

According to my other forum www.planetnautique.com , this is a very normal prop change routine, the only time you need a prop puller is if you hit something or it was installed improperly, hand tighten only.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic