NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bilge blower installation?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bilge blower installation?
    Posted: May-06-2005 at 3:05am
Ive got a question concerning the lack of a bilge blower in my 64 American skier. Im a little concerned about not having adequate engine ventilation.
Obviuosly, the boat is over 40 yrs old and hasnt had any problems to date, but should one be put in it? If so, what is the best way to pull air from the front deck?

Any thoughts?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2005 at 3:02pm
Run a flexible dryer vent type hose from the rear exhaust outlet into the bilge area near the rear of the engine. Connect a axial type blower motor to the other end of the hose (in engine compartment). You can also connect a short piece of hose to the blower inlet and direct it closer to the bottom of the bilge. Mount the blower where convenient such as to the side of a stringer (as high as possible). Power the blower with fused and switched 12 volts. When routing the vent hose, avoid low spots that can trap water.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2005 at 4:01pm
I agree with what David says. Another option is to mount the blower directly under the rear vent, vertically, and run a flex hose from the blower into the bilge area. The blower sucks air from the bilge and exhausts out the top rear vent. This is the way my '68 is setup. The hose in the bilge area lays directly on the bilge floor with the end at about the same distance from the transom as the prop shaft bearing strut. It is tie-wrapped with one tie-wrap, to the port-side stringer to keep it from flopping around. When the bilge has water in it the water flows in and out of the hose but this does not hurt anything. The hose is approx. (eyeball measurement) 3" in diameter. I guess if the water covered the entire hose you would have a bigger problem than bilge venting.

In my '68 there is another flex hose running from the vent on the bow to the bilge area in the front of the boat. There is no blower on that hose. I think, theoretically, when my blower is turned on air enters the bilge area from the front vent and from the engine box vent. This system seems to work well.

It is very important to add a line fuse to the blower like David said.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2005 at 5:01am
Thanks for the input. Ive got an extra bilge blower itself. And installing chrome rear vents shouldnt be a problem. One thing im wondering about tho is where to get the intake air from. The 'skier doesnt have any type of vent/scoop on the bow. Ive been mocking up a cardboard model simular to the 70s style nautiques,that would be upholstered, but the bow is short and the front lift ring is kind of in the way.

Ive also made a couple of models of smaller scoops that fit within the "lower" body lines of the bow , where I would use two intake vents.

Whatever I do, I want it to look era correct.

btw Jim, did you get the Higgins pics? ,steve
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2005 at 11:43am
Steve, you may want to consider not cutting a hole in your bow. IT seems to me that if you lay a flex vent hose under the floor in the bilge area in the front of the boat and run the hose up under the bow where the opening of the hose is fixed to the underside of the bow, air will be ducted in from the "floorboard" (can you use that term with regards to boats?) area. Get other opinions though - I am new to boating and I keep getting surprised by how much I don't know.

I would be reluctant to cut any holes in the boat. In fact, if I had a boat that was built before the time of forced air ventilation, I would probably be happy to just open the motor box for about 5 minutes before I cranked her up and take pride in the antiquity and simplicity. That's my vote. When friends and riders ask: "What are we doing?" just reply, "We're venting." Make 'em wait 5 minutes. All the more they'll appreciate the engine starting up.

As far as the pics, I would always like to see pics of vintage boats but in this case I think you have me confused with another "Jim". I think.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2005 at 11:32am
I agree with Jim. Try to get the fresh air from under the bow. Since gasoline vapors are heiver than air, try to strap the hose as high up as possible.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 5:05pm
My '66 has 2 chrome vent/scoops on the rear deck, above fuel tank, one faces froward, the other faces rear, the rear one has the blower hose with air pulled out of motor compartment when blower on, the forward facing one "forces" air in while under way. I used 3" dryer vent hose. With these older boats, carbs and ingitions, I would for sure install a blower!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic