Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 leaking water pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
peteSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 leaking water pump
    Posted: December-27-2009 at 1:05am
I recently replaced the impeller, o-ring and gasket on the raw water pump on my 98 Ski with GT-40. I ran the boat on the trailer to test for leaks and noticed that the pump has a small drip leak. It did this before I changed the impeller, but on a previous impeller change I didn't have the proper gasket and made my own, so I thought it was from my home made gasket. This time I assumed since I had all the correct parts that the leak would be gone, but it has not. On closer inspection, I can see that it doesn't appear to be the gasket at all, as it's coming out of the pump shaft.

I borrowed a pic from another post to show exactly where the water is coming from, it is marked as "B".

I pulled the pump apart twice to be sure that the o-ring hadn't slipped out of the groove or there was any old gasket there, all checked out OK. Since water is coming out of the pump shaft, seems to me that water is leaking out between the impeller and the spacer plate, then out the holes in the pump shaft.

While the leak is only a drip, is this an indication that I should replace the spacer plate or the pump itself? As best I can tell the impeller itself makes the seal so water doesn't escape through the hole in the spacer plate into the shaft side of the pump.

Would appreciate any suggestions or similar experiences.

Pete
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2009 at 1:28pm
Welcome Pete. It's time for a pump rebuild,there is a seal on that shaft and while it's apart might as well change the bearing. I realize your in Australia, but check out this site Depco. You could also get another pump,very expensive, and rebuild this one in your winter rebuild months and have a spare.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2009 at 2:46pm
Pics of parts from SkiDim--So you'll know what your looking for and at.Be slow about taking apart-Cell phone pics are a must-you should be able to tackle this-just take your time.

SkiDim
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
peteSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2009 at 10:59pm
Thanks for the suggestions. Note that the pic in this post is not actually the pump off my boat, meaning that mine actually looks like it's in much better condition.

I'm going to take the pump apart again today (since it's raining and we can't ski) and take a look at the brass plate. Another suggestion made to me was that if this plate has grooves and wear on the impeller side it would allow water to leak through. Am going to sand it down a bit to remove the plates.

Is there significant cost savings in doing a rebuild rather than just replacing the entire pump with a new one? I'm guessing there is, and I'd feel comfortable doing this kind of job but would likely leave it til July (Aussie Winter).

Pete
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2009 at 12:23am
Pete,I think this is your pump.You can see the seal in the breakdown,it's number 14. Repair notes at bottom right says if leaking out of holes in bearing housing,the seal is bad.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peteSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2009 at 6:38am
Thanks guys. I pulled the pump today and the brass plate was quite grooved, so I cleaned it up and installed it backwards so that the ungrooved side now faced the impeller. I still get a very small leak, but not out the hole on the shaft side as above, now it looks like it's coming out of the bottom mounting bolt. It's only a slow drip at idle and goes away with rpm, so I won't worry about it now but will look at a pump rebuild or replacement in 6 months (Aussie winter).

Attached are a couple pics showing the pump components, note the brass plate grooves and then a shot of the other side of the brass plate which is still smooth.

Pete
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 12:37am
Pete,keep an eye on your temperature. If it's dripping and then at higher rpm stops,it could be sucking air.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Amoonguss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amoonguss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 4:28am
Corrosive inhibitors in the seal plating deteriorate in effectiveness over time and the coolant becomes more abrasive the more it is used, which is why regular flush-and-fills are recommended. As the inhibitors deteriorate and the coolant’s abrasiveness increases, electrolysis on the seal face occurs and coolant is allowed to seep through it.
Shop electric water pumps, submersible pumps and solar water pumps at CrazySales for all of your gardening needs.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 7:22am
Amoonguss,
I knew something was up when I realized you don't even know Pete's is raw water cooled. Your post has been reported as SPAM!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 9:31am
I recently replaced my impeller. I did not find a gasket to remove, so I did not add a replacement gasket that came with the impeller. The exploded view does not show the spacer. Even though the spacer is noted in the unexploded view, it does not indicate the side of the spacer on which gasket it is positioned.
Jim
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 10:02am
Winniskier You can google the G21 pump from Sherwood and get a parts break down. When I have taken a pump apart the gaskets looked so bad they looked like part of the pump body. O ring goes on one side of brass plate and oring on the other side. The brass plate will only go one way, on of the holes is offset, but you can flip it over if you like. I would take it back apart and install the gasket. You would not want it to suck air while you are out on the lake. Good luck
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 10:04am
Ps you will have to do a little digging for the proper diagram. They have a generic diagram for all their pumps then they have a diagram for the G21 pump.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 12:26am
You were spot on. I disassembled the water pump and determined that there was a gasket that probably got missed in 2014 when I last changed the impeller, I scraped it off and reassembled the pump adding the new gasket. Lesson learned, Many thanks.
Jim
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 6:53am
I had the same experience. That little gasket is essential.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic