Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Tower and Windshield Fabrication

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Marauder71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marauder71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Tower and Windshield Fabrication
    Posted: January-04-2010 at 8:50pm
I was hoping maybe I could get pointed in the right direction or get your thoughts on a couple of issues. Please bear with me...this could be a lengthy explanation.

I am planning on adding a tower to my Marauder but I will not add a external tower that bolts to the top of the gunwales. Instead I would like to try and incorporate a custom tower to the roof racks on the boat. The current roof racks and hardware are not strong enough to add a tower to and I want to store all the original equipment to be put back on at a later time. My thought is to have custom roof racks made that are solid and can accept a tower system. I want the tower to be removable so the boat would look stock when I am not using the tower, plus storing it in a garage will be a lot easier if it is removable. I have been playing around with a pinning system idea where either just bars would be removed and the tower would connect to the six mounting locations on the the hardtop or the bars could be drilled to accept a pin locking device or some other derivative of. Does anyone know who could make a custom tower like this...any suggestions on the design concept?

The hardtop will not hold up for long if I don't add some support to it. My idea is to reinforce the underside of the roof racks on the inside of hardtop with some flatbar and continue down the b-pillars to where it meets the top of the gunwales. I would add some plating under the gunwales where the b-pillars meet to help support the hardtop and keep it from separating from the gunwale. The inside of the hardtop and b-pillars have liners so the extra supporting will be hidden under it...that’s the idea anyway.

Ok so this brings me to the next part of it…the windshield. If I do all of the above and everything works out well I will still need to reinforce the windshield frame with something strong, maybe stainless steel. All of the frame work is made of aluminum and the welds are broken or cracked. This will need to be replaced regardless. I would like to have all the frames redone but very hard to find a replacement. Does anyone know of a shop that can make the window frames? I am saying frames...hope this is the right nomenclature...basically the whole window assembly is what I am trying to describe.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Marauder71 Marauder71 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to read all this.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Buy another boat.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 9:26pm
Why not sell the boat and buy a Super Air? You will destroy that hardtop in no time, not to mention it's going to look weird.... What's the intention? To Wakeboard? Sure would be a shame to see the only Maurader hardtop in our circle of life with a tuna tower added to it...
Can we talk you out of this???

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 9:29pm
You have a rare, 351 HM powered, 100 percent original Marauder, with an even rarer hardtop, all in terrific, unmolested, original shape, and you want to add a tower?

Please, please reconsider. The time, effort and money spent on that idea would be better put toward a wakeboat, that boat is special, you can't un-drill holes in the hull or deck, the original gelcoat and original interior are only original once!

Where's Pete?!!!...
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 10:07pm
I violate cars for a living so I won't give you a hard time about wanting something custom but from a structural standpoint I don't think it would work without a seriously well thought out support system.The windsheild and top cannot take that kind of force.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 10:10pm
How much do you want for it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marauder71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 10:34pm

Where's Pete?!!!...[/QUOTE]

Don't get Pete involved. I think I have pissed him off enough with my other ideas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marauder71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

The time, effort and money spent on that idea would be better put toward a wakeboat, that boat is special, you can't un-drill holes in the hull or deck, the original gelcoat and original interior are only original once!

I going to have to redo the gelcoat . I have have some bad scars and chunks missing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marauder71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Why not sell the boat and buy a Super Air? You will destroy that hardtop in no time, not to mention it's going to look weird.... What's the intention? To Wakeboard? Sure would be a shame to see the only Maurader hardtop in our circle of life with a tuna tower added to it...
Can we talk you out of this???

Moj'

Tell the guys on this forum that they can no longer ski behind their boats and see how long the originality factor would last. No way the wife is going to let me have two boats. I am going to have to come up with some solution on being able to use my board. I am trying to be creative and still preserve the originality.

Kinda sucks I got the only correct craft on the planet that I can't ski behind.
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 11:00pm
Dave if you do it dont post pics.    

Waldo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marauder71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 11:19pm
Just to be clear the idea was to make the tower removable or snap off for a lack of better words. It would be a quick transition and the boat would look just as it does now with it off.

Waldo,

Harsh brother! I would think if it came out right and looked cool others would appreciate the pics. Sorry I offended.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 11:30pm
If you have a boat you can't board behind why own it?!?! Seriously re consider this decision. Would you hack up a shelby cobra if u came across one? Sure, its not as big of a collector as a shelby (yet) but it is a very VERY rare and completely original boat. There are plenty of cool boats already outfitted for boarding to be found. It would be a shame to see another correct craft molested in this manner.

Where do I sign up for the petition?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

If you have a boat you can't board behind why own it?!?! Seriously re consider this decision. Would you hack up a shelby cobra if u came across one? Sure, its not as big of a collector as a shelby (yet) but it is a very VERY rare and completely original boat. There are plenty of cool boats already outfitted for boarding to be found. It would be a shame to see another correct craft molested in this manner.

Where do I sign up for the petition?

Could not agree more. Find a 2001 fit it with a tower and go have fun with the wakeboard. leave the old classic (maybe one of a kind) alone.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 11:50pm
Does it have a ski pole at all.? Maybe you can adapt a high pole of some kind to suit your needs.?

I'm not a "keep it original" guy, but I would not start modifying that boat.
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 11:54pm
Dave

You really know how to stir up the crowd here. I enjoy a modified boat or car as much as the next guy but I'm with everyone else on this one. Don't start on such a well preserved rare boat as the Marauder. Find a late 80s early 90s SN. You can get a tower fit to these boat and not have to go through the trouble of fabricating one. In the long run you would probably get a better performing boat for the purpose.

David

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marauder71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

Does it have a ski pole at all.? Maybe you can adapt a high pole of some kind to suit your needs.?

I'm not a "keep it original" guy, but I would not start modifying that boat.

No pole only the stern lifting ring, which if used will eventually do damage.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marauder71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Keuka Keuka wrote:

Dave

You really know how to stir up the crowd here. I enjoy a modified boat or car as much as the next guy but I'm with everyone else on this one. Don't start on such a well preserved rare boat as the Marauder. Find a late 80s early 90s SN. You can get a tower fit to these boat and not have to go through the trouble of fabricating one. In the long run you would probably get a better performing boat for the purpose.

David

Yep I get everyone going nuts with my ideas. I figure better stop sharing before the linch mob shows up at my house, by the way I live in Canada I made up the Louisiana thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marauder71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 12:04am

Make an offer. Will need to be a good one.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 12:11am
What you need to do is get a friend to get a wake board boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 1:13am
Dave dont take the posts personal. Everyboody is just letting you know you have a sweet ride.

Waldo
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 1:44am
Why not buy the pod? Leave the top alone.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 1:56am

by the way I live in Canada I made up the Louisiana thing.

Don't underestimate Reids secret Correct Craft tracking system
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 9:12am
Where's the "report post" feature?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 11:55am
once you get that tower up, you could ad some spinner rims to the trailer...now that would be cool
"the things you own will start to own you"
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

Why not buy the pod? Leave the top alone.

Dave, I really think this would be the better way to go !!! Or if the top is removable, then add a pylon and skylon... And listen to FL Inboard, the top is not strong enough for the forces of a tower....

Trade out or add a tripod type ski eye...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 12:47pm
M71, where in La. are you located?????????????????/
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 12:49pm

Kinda sucks I got the only correct craft on the planet that I can't ski behind.

Sounds like you bought the wrong boat!

I wouldnt molest it either. You should sell it and spend the funds on a 2001 and go crazy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marauder71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 12:55pm
Let’s forget the tower idea for now. I still need some help on the windshield. Almost all the welds are broken. Any ideas on replacement or repair?

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

once you get that tower up, you could ad some spinner rims to the trailer...now that would be cool

Eric - love the idea do you have any suggestions on how to jack the trailer up to be able to fit 26" rims on it?
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Could not agree more. Find a 2001 fit it with a tower and go have fun with the wakeboard. leave the old classic (maybe one of a kind) alone.

Ahh yes,but what happens when the 2001 becomes a classic?Theres some people who think all boats should be unmolested and that the owners don't have the right to ruin a piece of history.I know this because I deal with them on the automotive side allmost daily.The reality is we are all decaying organic crap and on a long enough time line the servival rate for everything drops to zero so whats the point in clinging to old pieces of fiberglass.
This is the same reason people die with tons of money even though it can't go with them and in my mind is a major human flaw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic