NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1920212223 26>
Author
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:48pm
sent
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 10:06pm
Keep up the good work. Your work looks excellent. I wish I knew more than I do but if I had another boat just like mine and had to do it all over again, I would do things much differently. I think others have become frustrated with my bellyaching and incompetance and that I have not done things by the book and don't hear from much anymore. If I had advice to give to anyone, I would but I really don't.   

I will keep following your progress.

Thanks,

scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

I think others have become frustrated with my bellyaching and incompetance and that I have not done things by the book and don't hear from much anymore.

scott

Scott,
I don't believe the above to be true. Give yourself more credit for the work you have done. Remember you didn't want to undertake the stringer job at first and I actually believe it was me that convinced you to do it. It came out fine!!! Now, just because of a misplaced steering cable, don't get bent out of shape. It too will get fixed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 2:10am
But Scott,   I have grown very fond of your frustrated bellyaching.

Don't sell yourself short.   You did it! Now you have a nice boat to enjoy.

AT
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 1:57pm
Keegan,

I am very impressed with you work.

I also may be able to give you some help with your Ring and Finger problem. When I purchased by 1980 SN two years ago, the finger on the Ring was half gone. The finger is held in place with a set screw. I removed the screw and tried to pull out the broken finger. My plan was to go to a machine shop and reproduce the finger and place it inside the ring again. I was unable to get the finger out with the Ring still on the pilon.

I was able to locate via CCFAN a very nice ring and finger from another boat. I have now removed my damaged Ring and Finger and have installed the replacement unit. When I removed the old Ring it got slightly twisted as I was trying to pull it out. The twist can be removed if it is heated and put into a vise and worked with a bit. The old finger can probably be removed now that the Ring and 1/2 finger are off of the pilon.

I am willing to give you this damaged Ring and Finger for your boat. You may be able to fix it and make it complete, or you may just use it until you find a better one. It is not perfect, but it is better than nothing. I can send you a picture of the item if you send me an E-mail to tilley166@bellsouth.net. I do not need or want the items that you spoke about in trade. I can not sell the ring because it is damaged.

Send me an E-Mail if you want to take a look at it.

Nice Work ,

Donald
Denver, NC.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 3:08pm
Thanks Donald I sent you an email. My mechanic blew me off for the week so the boat is back at home and I am wet sanding all the resin marks off of the deck. It looks amazing already and I cant wait to buff and wax her. May go ahead and install the carpet after I finish buffing. They can pay for new carpet if the F it up putting the engine back in.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 3:29pm
Lay cardboard on top of the carpet to prevent damage. I got your e-mail and I just sent you some pictures. Just let me know if you can make it work. I have your address.

Donald
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 7:28pm
Thanks for the tremendous generosity guys! I made a small donation to CCF today because I have received so much from this site that I had to give something back.

Here is some progress! You know how I like my before and afters.

Before

After

Before

After
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 7:39pm
Looking good, Keegan.

FYI, you can get a new stern light receptacle from Whitelake for ~$17.

I would definitely install the carpet while the motor is out... much easier than working around it. Use the cardbard trick for the reinstall as mentioned.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 8:04pm
Thanks Tim! In a way it was good I had the extra week with no pressure to get loose ends tied. Glad to hear WhiteLake has the stern receptacle because I looked at a local marina and none of them looked like the original so I kept it.

Carpet is going in this weekend Weather ughh permitting. Still working outside so you never know. We have not had rain for weeks so I hope there is still water in the lake when I get out there!

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 12:40am
Keegan,

I shipped you the Ring and Finger today via US Postal. You may have it tomorrow or Monday.

Donald
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 12:51pm
You are the man Donald! Thanks a million. I hope I can whip it back into shape.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 3:08am
Here is my 200th picture. The carpet is in. Now I have to cover the pressure fitted battery cover and removable rear.   

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2010 at 9:38pm
That did not get anybody fired up. I guess carpet in a boat is not very exciting if you are actually out riding, but here are some daylight pictures that have me raring to go. We leave for Cape Cod tomorrow morning and I dropped the boat off at 1600 this afternoon and it will be waiting for me ready to go when I get back.

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2010 at 11:51pm
Keegan, I'm fired up for ya man! All the other guys are at GL this weekend, i'm sure they'll be impressed when you get back. Have a great vacay, nice to leave one vacation and come back to a boat ready for another!
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 12:22pm
Keegan,

Very nice. You and I have worked hard on our boats and it's a great feeling to take it out and put it back in the garage knowing you don't have to work on it anymore. There will always be little things to do but the big stuff is behind you.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 12:27pm
Keegan,

Btw, go back to page 1 and look at those pictures compared to now and you will really get a sense of self accomplishment. Wow!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 11:13pm
nice..I like the carpet..soon it will be ready for the water..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 11:54pm
When someone brings a old boat back from the brink is secures our history for future generations.You should be proud of your accomplishments.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 2:26am
Thanks guys! I have worked so hard, spent so many hours reading and researching, so much thought and preparation, so much sweat, enough blood to make you cry, and when its all over I will have to learn to relax again. I am going to practice with a few cape cods on the beach here in Cape Cod tomorrow and see if I can't get the hang of it.

I am proud to have saved this beauty from total decay and cannot wait to see my daughters eyes light up when we hit the water in that baby.

Hope everybody has a safe and fun time at the GL Reunion. Maybe next year I will be there in my fully rebuilt Skier!

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 3:22am
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

Keegan,

Btw, go back to page 1 and look at those pictures compared to now and you will really get a sense of self accomplishment. Wow!

You know I did that just now and it really puts it in perspective. The simple questions I had to ask, and the discovery of each problem, and then later the solutions that I brewed up to solve them.

I have learned a lot on the way and I thank the CCF community for all their time and effort educating me. Storm, Wakeslayer, Pete, Tim, AT, MARTY MABE, D Tilley, the all knowing Chris who gets a rise better than anyone, and Scott for making me look like a slow poke.

Most importantly my wife should be thanked for standind behind me, wanting it done right, wanting it done a month ago and wishing it had cost half as much as it did! And if that engine is not installed, alligned, and roaring like a horny lion when we get back on Saturday- I won't have to say a word. Shakespear already said it "Hell hath no furry like a woman's scorn, She'll take care of it.

1973 Skier
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 9:11pm
Keegan...looks really good! You have a lot to be proud of.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 2:46am
Keegan, even if it isn't done...just think you'll have 20 some more years to enjoy it!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Keegan, even if it isn't done...just think you'll have 20 some more years to enjoy it!

That is the plan, but I don't think these guys have a clue how to put this engine back in even though they took it out and swore it was no big deal. Talked to them yesterday from the Cape and they said the mount heights were off by "about 4 inches"!!! I just laughed at the guy They are closed till Monday so I have to wait till then to pick it up. I will do it myself before I let them do it. The motor and tranny are in the boat but not aligned. It figures that the 2 things I was going to pay to have done are not done yet. My seats still are not ready and my engine is not installed.

On the bright side I am going to get to learn to install and align the engine myself and will know it will be done right. And maybe Marty will let me bum some rides!

1973 Skier
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 11:14am
If you want new decals for the back let me know.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

If you want new decals for the back let me know.

Tim,
What would have been on the transom of a 73 Skier? If anything, I do know Keegan is trying to stay as close as possible to original so he would need a mask for paint. I know you make them as well.

I'm always on the outlook for originality!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 2:39pm
The transom is all decals. Until I hear back from Art Cozier at Correct Craft I don't know what is original. The missing letters are due to the fuel tank breather line dripping down when the tank is really full. I want to replace them as they are because there has to be some sun fade. Funny thing about this red is that it does not fade. It is actually lighter under all of the stickers and fittings and gets darker with the sun. My boat gets a tan!

Mr Cozier said that by the hull id number he knows that the gelcoat was done in May 1973. The Seatek fuel tank has 6-1-1973 hand written on the decal so it did not leave the factory any before June.

My wife wanted to put the name on the transom and I told her no way. It is going back the way it came. I do like Form and Function's smaller name lettering on the sides. Our name is "Floor It" because I spent the $2K I was supposed to use to buy new floors for the kitchen and living room to buy the boat and trailer. I love the name but am not sure I want to put it on the hull. My thought was to have a flag made for the stern light socket with the name.

I ended up getting nicer floors than we were looking at when a gym by our house went out of business and my friend bought 6000 sq ft of maple hardwoods for $500. I paid him $250 and got to take all that I needed and he helped me install it! Just think- I would have spent all that money on some crappy floor and had no boat. Sometimes leaps of faith turn out for the best!

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 2:54pm
Keegan,   Original would be no lettering.

I still have the switch name plates if you still want them.

AT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 3:02pm
Keegan,
The naming of a boat has come up in threads. The general consensus is it's cool with wood hulls but not with more modern glass hulls. So, tell your wife the story!! The threads covered some of the "off color" names we've all seen on transoms! Leave that to the Bayliner folks. We're certainly a step above them!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 3:26pm
Like CrCC and Pete said. Your current graphics are not original- the Skiers never had lettering on the transom. Yours are "borrowed" from the 85-87 Ski Nautiques. Also no to putting any sort of name on the boat... it already has a name on it (Correct Craft)!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1920212223 26>
  Share Topic