Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Step Pads

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Step Pads
    Posted: January-13-2010 at 4:17pm
I made a set of these for the 71SN and can make some more if there is any interest. Made from a aliphatic poly elastomer. I contacted the product manufacturer and they have assured me that their material is UV stable. These are white but I can make other colors as well. I would think in the $80 range for a set of four (no trims).

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 4:24pm
I would take a set of white and black hope more people need some of these to get it going
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 6:53pm
Frank,
Very nice! I'm sure you will get plenty of interest.

Would you mind telling me where you got the material? I've worked on making a set for my Dunphy for years and the casting material was always the set back. Ether not user friendly requiring vacuum degassing or not UV stable!

Did you use one of the urethane casting compounds for pulling the mold off the original or a hard epoxy?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 12:01pm
Frank,
I wanted to bring this back to the top. I looked in your profile for a email for a PM but you didn't list one. I see your last visit was this morning but may have missed this thread. Your help on the casting compound would be appreciated. Don't worry I'm not going to be making CC step pads and undercutting your project! As mentioned, I need the info for my Dunphy X-55 step pads. I did a search for a aliphatic poly elastomer but wasn't able to come up with anything definitive. You can PM me through my profile. Thanks

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Frank,
Very nice! I'm sure you will get plenty of interest.

Would you mind telling me where you got the material? I've worked on making a set for my Dunphy for years and the casting material was always the set back. Ether not user friendly requiring vacuum degassing or not UV stable!

Did you use one of the urethane casting compounds for pulling the mold off the original or a hard epoxy?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 12:54pm
Do you have any molds of what you are trying to reproduce? What material are they? Perhaps I can cast some for you.

The smallest quantity of material I can buy is a two gallon kit, one each of part A & B, in addition to color pigments. The casting process is as critical as the material as it is very moisture sensitive and prone to air bubbles.

Frank

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by FrankT FrankT wrote:

Do you have any molds of what you are trying to reproduce? What material are they? Perhaps I can cast some for you.

Frank,
I'll dig the mold that I pulled off a original tonight when I get home. I believe it still has parts of my last attempt of casting still stuck in it even though I used a silicone mold release. If I need to cast a new master, I will. Your casting them for me sounds like a plan we could handle.

The casting process is as critical as the material as it is very moisture sensitive and prone to air bubbles.

Yes, this was my first problem I mentioned with the vacuum degassing issue not being user friendly. Besides the vacuum, it required heating so I hooked up a vacuum pump, put it in my wifes oven and the can collapsed. What a mess!! I don't think she'll ever forget that! Round two, I used a glass jar that would handle the vacuum but still ended up with bubbles in the cast part.

I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to get the remaining chucks of round 3 out of my mold and will end up casting a new master. Any preference to a casting material for a new master?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 2:23pm
My molds are cut, not cast off of an original part due to wear. In fact I have two sets, one is the same length of the original step pads and the other is about 3% longer. I am not certain if the originals shrank but they do not go to the extents of the chrome trims. See picture in the original posting.

You might want to try bondo. Stick the original to a piece of wood cut to the same shape and size of the reveal (the thin part that goes under the trim), lube up the face of the original with vaseline and then work it in. When it dries pull it out the original and see what you have. If it looks good cut the excess away leaving about 1 inch all around and then it you have a disk or belt sander, sand down the top to achieve the reveal thickness desired. When done, prime and paint with a good glossy paint. Hopefully with a good release agent the new material can be removed from the painted mold.

I have a air scoop mold made this way but I will be casting with polyester resin and not the step pad material.

Frank

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 4:00pm

My molds are cut, not cast off of an original part due to wear. In fact I have two sets, one is the same length of the original step pads and the other is about 3% longer. I am not certain if the originals shrank but they do not go to the extents of the chrome trims. See picture in the original posting.

Machining a mold was a route I was going to take and then have our injection plastics division mold them out of a injectable rubber such as Santoprene. Unfortunately that division got hit by the China problem and we ended up mothballing 90% of the presses! Actually, I feel the process and the Santoprene was used originally. Yes, there's shrinkage on the originals plus the shrinkage of the casting process.

You might want to try bondo. Stick the original to a piece of wood cut to the same shape and size of the reveal (the thin part that goes under the trim), lube up the face of the original with vaseline and then work it in.

I have the mold still with a original stuck to it and will see if I can cast a new master. Making the first master, I picked a Devcon casting urethane just so it would give me some flexibility in order to get it off the original pad without damaging it.

Thanks for your phone number. I'll give you a call after look at what's left of the project tonight.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 1:23pm
I'd like to comment on Frank's step pads. I talked with him yesterday (Frank, thanks for the opportunity) and learned about what he has gone though to reproduce the pads. First, he's machined a mold to make them rather than pull a mold off a old pad. This is why his pads look so good with the clean crisp details. Second he has the equipment needed to cast top quality parts. This is a pressure vessel so the mold with the liquid resin is placed in it to remove the entraped air bubbles. Great work Frank!

I wasn't able to get all the chunks of my round two experiment out of my mold so I'll see if I can pull another mold off my original for Frank to work with. Since the X's pads will not be high volume, I don't want to go to the expence at this time finding some one to CNC a "hard" mold. My opportunity to have it done here at work dried up when both of our CNC operators were laid off!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 1:28pm
Pete, Frank's look so good why don't you just use those?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce, I think Pete's pads in question are for his Dunphy X55, not a CC.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce, I think Pete's pads in question are for his Dunphy X55, not a CC.

Bruce,
Sorry you missed it but Tim's correct they are for my X55. I'm running generic black pads painted white with vinyl paint now. Not very original!!

The expensive part of the process is really having the mold CNC'd.

Since the X's pads will not be high volume, I don't want to go to the expence at this time finding some one to CNC a "hard" mold. My opportunity to have it done here at work dried up when both of our CNC operators were laid off!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
woodyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 8:16pm

Hi Frank,

Could you make some generic step pads in white?

Woodyz '91 Excel
Woodyz 91 Excel
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 1:48am
I have a set of four step pad frames that look like and are about the exact size of Frank's original posting. They are die cast and not in bad shape. If anyone can use them give me a shout.
They have an Atwood part number 8006.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:59am
Sunapee Crow---Rick
How much and pics?
Marty Mabe

mtmabe@northstate.net
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:42am
Originally posted by woodyz woodyz wrote:

Hi Frank,

Could you make some generic step pads in white?

Woodyz '91 Excel

Sherwood,
Generic pads are available off the shelf to fit the Atwood frames. Available in black but can be painted white with a can of vinyl spray paint. That's what I'm running now on my X55.

Yes Frank could make them but I don't feel having to CNC a generic mold for a low volume run would be economical.

Whites are available in a self adhesive form and could be trimed to fit inside the frame. About $5 each.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 12:11pm
What is a X55 post pics. thanks jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

What is a X55 post pics. thanks jeff

Jeff,
It's not a CC. It was made by the Dunphy boat company between late 62 and early 65. The closest I can come to how many were produced is 160. Still around, I've located 23. All came with the 312 Ford "Y" block 215 HP.
Here's a shot from last summer at GL.

Pictures courtesy of Tim Morfoot

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 12:30am

Generic pads are available off the shelf to fit the Atwood frames. Available in black but can be painted white with a can of vinyl spray paint. That's what I'm running now on my X55.

Pete, what do you mean when you say "vinyl spray paint"?
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 9:35am
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

Pete, what do you mean when you say "vinyl spray paint"?

Adam,
You can find it at the hardware store. Some are made to stick to plastic but the vinyl paint is made to stick to soft vinyl and some rubber. You'll need to read the labels on the cans. Works pretty good but needs recoating every couple years as it does yellow.

Auto supplies will also have sprays for doing actual vinyl upholstery. Avoid these as most are dyes that won't cover as well. Too thin.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 12:06pm
Pete your Dunphy is a really sharp looking boat !! I have never seen one of those, very very nice !!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 12:59pm
Thanks Mike,
It's been a fun boat. It was actully one of those dream boats you wished you had when looking at them as a teen. Fast and cool looking. Lucky for me that dream came true. Along with that dream came some work. New bottom and the of course varnish maintenance!

The bottom problem was delamination of the plywood. It was actually what put Dunphy under. Bad plywood from the Philippines with a fungus already in the wood! They were taking them back under warrantee to the factory. Watercraft Sales sold 5 of them to my knowledge and all needed bottoms at one time. Mine was just later because it wasn't used much before I got it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 12:05pm
Finally found some time to work on this project. The end product looks very good. I currently have materials to make white, black and red. Cost is $80 for a set of four plus $5 to ship (fit nicely into a priority mail flat rate small box). Please email me at tamanko@aol.com with interest.

Frank    

jdrunabout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdrunabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 5:58pm
I'm interested in a set (4) of "white" step pads for my 1967 CC Mustang. Will be making any soon.

Thanks, John
jdrunabout@att.net
Renagade61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renagade61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 1:02am
Frank, I will take 2 sets. Let me know how you want me to pay for them?

Danny
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 12:01pm
I will be making some over the next few days should have a few sets available by Wednesday. I have an extra set of black currently. If you are interested please send me an email at tamanko@aol.com .

A single set of 4 is $85 and two sets are $165 including shipping.

FrankT

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by jdrunabout jdrunabout wrote:

I'm interested in a set (4) of "white" step pads for my 1967 CC Mustang. Will be making any soon.

Thanks, John
jdrunabout@att.net

John,

Sent you an email. Please reach out to me if you do not receive.

FrankT
Renagade61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renagade61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 2:40pm
Frank, How will I pay you for them? I will needs 4 step pads total for my skier. Thanks!

Danny
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 12:40pm
Most have paid by check. I can do PayPal but as they charge a fee it will be a few bucks more.

FrankT
tamanko@aol.com     
Fred Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2010 at 4:08am
Frank: Do you still have the White Step pads in this picture with the Correct Craft logo? I am interested in purchasing. I have a 1971 Mustang I bought new when I turned 21. Still looks like new and my pads are in new condition, but I would not mind having a spare set.
Please e mail me at priceaut@bellsouth.net. Thanks.
Fred Price
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic