NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

44 year old stripe removal???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 44 year old stripe removal???
    Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:38pm
Question for the wet sanding experts... The Cuda has the original boot stripes on the hull. I want to start wet sanding but was wondering if the eraser wheel from 3m is the tool of choice to removing the old paint? The paint build up is large, almost like decal material, but it's definitely paint.

Or should I just wet sand threw that stripe and kill myself removing it that way??

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:56pm
Dave,
What year is the Cuda again? The early 70's were coming through from the factory with vinyl boot strip tape!

If tape, I'd go after it with the wheel.

If paint, I'd first remove as much as possible with a safe for glass remover such as Interlux 299E and then wet sand. I'm still questioning the use of oven cleaners to rmove paint off glass. i'd hate to see the old glass harmed with it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 1:15pm
Paint? Our 67 that we bought in 70 had tape and our 68 that we have now had tape. Two stripes, right? If it's paint, why not just light sand it till it's smooth and paint over it.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm still questioning the use of oven cleaners to rmove paint off glass. i'd hate to see the old glass harmed with it.

I am by no means endorsing this practice, but I did do this years ago on my BFN to get the painted on registration numbers off of it. There were no ill effects.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 9:43pm
Dave
My 69 Barracuda still has it's original tape boot stripe, I don't recall seeing any painted ones from that era
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 4:51am

Dave,
What year is the Cuda again? The early 70's were coming through from the factory with vinyl boot strip tape!

With a thread title of "44 year old stripe removal", I'm gonna guess 1966, but I'm no engineer!!! Just kiddin' Pete.
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 10:11am
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

Dave,

With a thread title of "44 year old stripe removal", I'm gonna guess 1966, but I'm no engineer!!! Just kiddin' Pete.

Adam,
Damn, my ADD must have kicked in reading the title or my older memory caused me to forgotten it half way through Dave's post. Besides, I need new batteries for my calculator!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 1:33pm
Nope, you guys are right, it is tape !!!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 4:32pm
My 67SN is tape.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Moj'

Dave,
See what's happening? My memory is going and you can't see anymore!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 12:57am

Adam,
Damn, my ADD must have kicked in reading the title or my older memory caused me to forgotten it half way through Dave's post. Besides, I need new batteries for my calculator!!

Calculator?!!? When did you stop using your abacus?!?!?!
-Adam

1973 Skier
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 11:51am

Moj'

Dave,

Hahaha, yep.. Like measuring, "Look twice, since you're old and blind" haha
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 12:16pm

Moj'

Dave,

Hahaha, yep.. Like measuring, "Look twice, since you're old and blind" haha

"like measuring" - Several years ago I got a tape measure for Christmas that has a small voice recorder built in. You measure, press the button, record the measurement, then go to make the cut, press another button and it plays back the recording! Real handy when your memory is lacking, you don't have a pencil and paper or you're up on a ladder. I've used it so much that I've got to go get new batteries!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 2:11am

Wow...I thought I was getting deep inferring that Pete still uses his abacus?!?!!?
-Adam

1973 Skier
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 2:25am
Some sort of spam crap.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 2:50am
i bet if you click on one of those links you'll win a million bucks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic